Why become a member? ×

DI box - active or passive? where/how much?

Clarky

I use a passive Radial Stage Bug SB-2. It sounds natural and not hugely expensive (£85) but mainly like the fact there's really nothing that can go wrong. I turn up on stage and I can guarantee it's the one thing that's not going break and one less thing that needs to find a mains socket.... so hassle free.

Our guitarist insists on using active di's and on the last two gigs we ended up tracing issues with his sound down to them and then using my spare stagebug (which I carry just for him!). 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2010 at 17:51, JackLondon said:

My experience of using passive DI comes from the studio when I was recording last year, the bloke had an active box with which we recorded one track and when I listened back it wasn't a good sound, we plugged a passive box and it made it sound more natural to me, with active box there's was that little amount of boost which was even visible on the recording software, it couldn't have been playing dynamics as it was using an 8 second loop that was recorded on my effect! I'm sure Max that with proper design a quality components you use your boxes are clean, many manufacturers however tend to cut corners here and there which means that what it says on the tin isn't what it actually does!

Cheers
Jack

What DI was the problematic active one ?

was it set to flat / bypass ?

A flat response clean active DI is one of the easiest circuits to implement tbh so seems something wrong there.

Was it feeding a balanced mic or line input ?

Have to say that this topic seems to have become a tad overcomplicated.

The OP has the "sound" required so just needs to translate it to a "balanced" (there are several 'flavours' of this) and possible attenuated low impedance output to feed a mixing desk or interface.

The most accurate and likely least expensive way to do this is with an active DI solution. Many available.

It's basically just a flat response circuit with some form of balanced output.

Passive transformer solutions are also suitable but might get expensive if going for highest fidelity. But the inexpensive solutions will likely be fine if they have enough low frequency response. They will 'colour' the sound further but you may like that or not. They may also offer better CMRR but that is unlikely to be an issue unless you are running long signals in high noise environments eg OB truck etc.

You could likely implement an effective impedance balanced output inside a (larger eg Neutrik)  jack socket body by wiring in a resistor and optionally a capacitor). But if not into DIY then a commercial solution is a good option.

For bass guitar top end isn't a thing. You don't really need to go to the expense of a Sowter / Jensen / Lundahl transformer based solution.

Also look at the (UK based) Orchid Electronics DI options. I don't have personal experience but hear from reliable sources that they are very helpful.

On 07/04/2023 at 13:38, Tech21NYC said:

The VT Bass has a buffered output and was designed to be connected directly to a mixer/recording interface. Its buffered output will not be degraded even when using long cable runs. If you need to use an XLR connection any decent DI box can be used. 

Old thread - but since you've chipped in now - what is the output stage detail.

Buffered - so presumably low impedance - but is it impedance balanced. This is so simple to implement that it should be standard in a high quality product. It offers real advantages wrt CMRR.