Why become a member? ×

stingray vs precision 2nd leg

lojo

Hi Guys

Got back into playing these last few years and have been quite taken by precisions, but before i stopped playing I loved Stingrays

Its well over 10 years since I played a MM or even heard one in a small gig situation

As with the P bass the stingray is used over many styles

Would anyone suggest styles or territory either would not go where the other would?

I also know some see the MM as an improvement on the P bass, in what way?

I used to be of the school of thought stingray was an improvement over the P however owning one of each I have found myself picking up the Fender far more often.

The stingray is great and incredibly versitile, in fact whenever I record I pick the Stringray up for this very reason! But for live work and rehearsal its the P all the way.

Having said that I think the Stingray (A 2008) has one of the easiest necks to play I have ever held, perhaps not the best neck but certainly the easiest.

Of course to experienced ears im sure people could tell the difference instantly. Only real advice is go to a good store with wide range of stock, and try them both. Maybe something else!

When I bought my P I went out heart set on a EB3 and when I got the MM I went to buy a ricky! both times I found a better instrument for my hands!

They are both great instruments if you get 'good one's'. I really like the early Stingrays with two band eq, through body stringing and chunkier bridge with mutes. The Stingray was the first production bass with an active e.q. and it was Leo himself who stated that the Stingray was the natural progression for the P Bass. Here's mine and I love 'em:

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='779382' date='Mar 19 2010, 07:45 AM']They are both great instruments if you get 'good one's'. I really like the early Stingrays with two band eq, through body stringing and chunkier bridge with mutes. The Stingray was the first production bass with an active e.q. and it was Leo himself who stated that the Stingray was the natural progression for the P Bass. Here's mine and I love 'em:[/quote]

Its a good job you did not show me those when I brought the ric off you

Lovely basses indeed, price?

Edited by lojo

At the moment im bouncing between a MM SUb and my Duck Dunn.

For my style of music (covers/weddings/functions, played with a pick) either works well. In my limited experience with my Sub i would say its got a few more tones in it than my DD but the DD seems to just work without fuss.

I need to be careful with the EQ on the Sub as its quite powerful and can be quite toppy but its nice ot know i can get that tone if i need it.

A few days ago i was ready to give up the DD and get a Ray but now im not so sure.

I use 'Rays and Ps. I use now the 'Ray in my 7 piece covers band over a P to cut through the busy mix and allow me EQ changes on the fly. In a more stripped down environment I use the P as I find it fills more room and adds heft to a 3 or 4 piece.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='780263' date='Mar 19 2010, 09:50 PM']Having owned several of each, I'd say that a good Precision is the utter staple of rock music, but a Stingray will happily venture into some serious funk/slap territory and is much more versatile. There's something about the Stingray sound, too. It's just addictive! :)[/quote]

Addictive, yes. I have both, a '78 P and recently bought a '79/80 Stingray from one of our number on this list. They are so similar in some ways on the face of things (both being black and maple) but playing them is entirely different.

Most of us are used to Precisions, staple indeed, they do almost anything you want, can be very nice to play and have that certain 'rightness' about their feel. If its a car it would be a good solid Checker yellow cab. Play a Stingray and you now have the 8 litre sportscar of the same name. It is immensely but effortlessly powerful. Wonderfully comfortable, will do all the Precision can but with so much more ease and power. The neck is so slim and easy, the feel so solid and smooth, the pickup - that lazy 8 litre V8 with more whoomph than you'll need without trying its all so americanly excessive and ... addictive. There must be many who, once bitten, play little else.

They are both very good bas guitars. Just pick one and go Dum Dum Dum in time with the drummer. It'll sound sh*t hot. Trust me. Don't get wrapped up in the tone issue that is rife in this forum. It's a bass, end of. What ever you feel comfortable with will be brill.

• Thanks 1

[quote name='Les' post='780406' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:35 AM']They are both very good bas guitars. Just pick one and go Dum Dum Dum in time with the drummer. It'll sound sh*t hot. Trust me. Don't get wrapped up in the tone issue that is rife in this forum. It's a bass, end of. What ever you feel comfortable with will be brill.[/quote]

So very true, but as with pre and post football match analysis is great fun to debate the stats and view points, assuming you like the topics anyway

Cheers for the replies guys, love em both, but will only buy one

Great Thread!

I'm a fan of Precisions, it's just the way it thumps it's way out. Lock in with the drummer, and you can literally feel your chest pounding.

As for stingray's, I've never played one. I'd be interested to know how people describe the Stingray sound? More mids than a P? There was a guy playing one in the band I saw last night. I think they look amazing, his didn't sound too great last night though, it was too loud for a start, and sounded kinda 'farty', if you get me. No discernable lows or highs really, a very flat farty sound. It was a real one, by the way, but I understand the bass is only gonna sound as good as the guy who sets the EQ.

How would you describe the sound compared to a P then?

That pickup looks quite far back though- must be a bit twangier than a P?

[quote name='lojo' post='780538' date='Mar 20 2010, 10:03 AM']So very true, but as with pre and post football match analysis is great fun to debate the stats and view points, assuming you like the topics anyway

Cheers for the replies guys, love em both, but will only buy one[/quote]

Absolutely, the umming and ahhing and trying out loads of basses is defo part of the pre purchase pleasure. To actually answer your original question
"Would anyone suggest styles or territory either would not go where the other would?"

In my opinion no, they'll both happily fend for themselves in any situation, but for the record, I played P's for years, had 3, then I bought the Stingray and haven't played anything else since. So it's fair to say the ray would get my vote.

[quote name='Les' post='780406' date='Mar 20 2010, 01:35 AM']They are both very good bas guitars. Just pick one and go Dum Dum Dum in time with the drummer. It'll sound sh*t hot. Trust me. Don't get wrapped up in the tone issue that is rife in this forum. It's a bass, end of. What ever you feel comfortable with will be brill.[/quote]

It's llama time.....