Why become a member? ×

Fitting TI Flats to an 09 USA Precision

Musicman20

The Fender stock strings are pretty good actually but in a few weeks im going to put a new set of TI Flats on this bass.

Which is the best way to put these on? Through-body? Bridge?

The stock strings are, as usual, quite a a high gauge but the action is pretty damn lovely and low.

Id ideally like to keep it as it is setup wise....excuse the noob question but can I just fit these and carry on as normal?

Ive never fitted flats. Im just being careful!

Fit as normal (through body is fine) but you will have to slacken the truss rod off a quarter or half turn as the tension on TIs is lower than Fender stock rounds. Quick and easy to do on modern Fenders due to easy truss rod access and the stock red-handled tool they provide. Just keep tweaking until its how you want the action, but be aware that it takes a bit of time after each adjustment for the neck to settle down (so what may seem perfect action immediately post-adjustment may be slightly different the following day).

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='775920' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:09 AM']Fit as normal (through body is fine) but you will have to slacken the truss rod off a quarter or half turn as the tension on TIs is lower than Fender stock rounds. Quick and easy to do on modern Fenders due to easy truss rod access and the stock red-handled tool they provide. Just keep tweaking until its how you want the action, but be aware that it takes a bit of time after each adjustment for the neck to settle down (so what may seem perfect action immediately post-adjustment may be slightly different the following day).[/quote]

Thanks

Ive yet to ever turn a truss rod....scary stuff :)

Thanks though!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='777509' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:11 PM']Thanks

Ive yet to ever turn a truss rod....scary stuff :)

Thanks though![/quote]
A whole new world will open up to you Gareth! Whats the worst you could do? If you don't get it right your downside is a £20-30 trip to a guitar shop for a set-up ... and if you get it right, you will become an inveterate tweaker like me!

I swapped my two fretted Ps last night for TI Flats (from LaBella's) as I've decided I want to go back to lower tension flats (I find it easier for fast picking) and was tweaking truss rods like a good'un :rolleyes:

I loved TI's on my HW1. This was the first time i had ever used flats and we did our first demo with them. They were so easy to record.
I also loved them on my HW-One P but after a while i missed the overtones etc you get from rounds.

I found Chromes to be a good middle ground as far as tone goes but i think once i get my MM bass sorted out im going to put some Ti's on my DD. I just love how soft they feel and are very easy to play.

As far as setting the action up goes i found this video to be really helpful. when i had "our" P5 i just used the Fender spec's (from the Mr Gearhead site) rather than the Lakland specs at first, but found the Lakland spec to work just as well, and gave me a lower action.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzV9462xeE"]Bass Set up[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

I've heard reports that Labella Flats don't like going string-thru - the almost right-angle bend at the saddle can split the windings open. I've not had this issue - I have both LaBella & TI flats on string-thru basses with no problems. As you have a choice it may be safer to topload, but you may prefer the slightly tighter feel of thru stringing.

You may be used to cutting down the strings before you put them on. Martin Petersen once told me that it is better not to cut your strings - it certainly isn't necessary on a fender-type long scale bass with TI flats. Get as many winds on the tuner as you can and stack it as neatly as possible with the string exiting right at the bottom, ie as near to the wood as possible. I probably haven't explained this very well, but I can probably post a pic later.

I owned my first precision for 20 years before plucking up courage to touch the truss rod - it was a daunting task as first, but it should become second nature once you've done it a few times.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='778657' date='Mar 18 2010, 02:57 PM']I've heard reports that Labella Flats don't like going string-thru - the almost right-angle bend at the saddle can split the windings open. I've not had this issue - I have both LaBella & TI flats on string-thru basses with no problems. As you have a choice it may be safer to topload, but you may prefer the slightly tighter feel of thru stringing.

You may be used to cutting down the strings before you put them on. Martin Petersen once told me that it is better not to cut your strings - it certainly isn't necessary on a fender-type long scale bass with TI flats. Get as many winds on the tuner as you can and stack it as neatly as possible with the string exiting right at the bottom, ie as near to the wood as possible. I probably haven't explained this very well, but I can probably post a pic later.

I owned my first precision for 20 years before plucking up courage to touch the truss rod - it was a daunting task as first, but it should become second nature once you've done it a few times.[/quote]

Thanks....I did wonder about cutting the strings. I will attempt to not do this!

Its be a few weeks before I go ahead so Ill be building up some info on the truss rod adjustment.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='778297' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:28 AM']I loved TI's on my HW1. This was the first time i had ever used flats and we did our first demo with them. They were so easy to record.
I also loved them on my HW-One P but after a while i missed the overtones etc you get from rounds.

I found Chromes to be a good middle ground as far as tone goes but i think once i get my MM bass sorted out im going to put some Ti's on my DD. I just love how soft they feel and are very easy to play.

As far as setting the action up goes i found this video to be really helpful. when i had "our" P5 i just used the Fender spec's (from the Mr Gearhead site) rather than the Lakland specs at first, but found the Lakland spec to work just as well, and gave me a lower action.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzV9462xeE"]Bass Set up[/url][/quote]

Cheers Dave

Ill take a look at that.

What I am shocked at is how I miss the flats...I have been a ssteel rwound user for all my bass playing life until I got Clarky's ex P, which I sold on, but I managed to get another lovely P in classic J Jamerson style. All it needs is these TI Flats.

Its definitely the mix sound that makes me like them....if im honest I lose all the clanky high end from the decent roundwounds once the guitarists turn up. So, I wont miss it that much. Of course, the feel and flexibility of the TIs is great...and they have brilliant mids. Not only that....they will last for a LONG time and probable get better with age.

The new covers band asked me about it the other day...as the P sounds quite aggressive and almost like Steve Harris when played fingerstyle at speed. I personally like it in the right band (eg heavier) but in a covers/rock band the flats will blend in more...especially on the funkier tracks.

Edited by Musicman20

• 2 weeks later...

I have TIs on both of my Precisions. I have both sets of TI Jazz flats strung body-through. No problems thus far.
If you are going with the TIs, I'd say load them through the bridge if you are going to use the JF344 set. If they go through the body, there will be a little of the silk winding coming past the nut over the fretboard. This can be remedied by removing the silk with a razor blade very carefully. You can use the TI J364 set, they are made to be used with 36 inch scale basses. The body-through Precisions are the equivilent of about 35 inches, leaving you a lot string to have to wrap around the post, even with trimming. I would definitely go with the 344 set and just trim the silk.

[quote name='fretlessguy' post='789084' date='Mar 29 2010, 04:36 AM']I have TIs on both of my Precisions. I have both sets of TI Jazz flats strung body-through. No problems thus far.
If you are going with the TIs, I'd say load them through the bridge if you are going to use the JF344 set. If they go through the body, there will be a little of the silk winding coming past the nut over the fretboard. This can be remedied by removing the silk with a razor blade very carefully. You can use the TI J364 set, they are made to be used with 36 inch scale basses. The body-through Precisions are the equivilent of about 35 inches, leaving you a lot string to have to wrap around the post, even with trimming. I would definitely go with the 344 set and just trim the silk.[/quote]

Thanks! Very helpful.

• 5 months later...

Just to give closure on this. I carried on using the Fender stock strings for AGES. Finally, the E broke (and I think this is due to the fact I was picking fairly heavy handed yet careful, and the tapered E couldnt handle it).

Now, after an hour of messing about, Ive put a set of Ernie Ball Group III Flats through body on the P bass discussed above. Apparently they dont stay too zingy for long which is great.

So far, they seem smooth, clear and mid tension. Similar to the tension of the stock Fender strings (eg more tension that TIs).

Cheers

PS - Im assuming through body is ok? EB Flats dont say otherwise and people are fitted them to the Classic Stingrays (through body ONLY) so Im hoping its ok.

Well, I checked on the EBMM forum, and no one has had problems with string through with the EB Group IIIs.

I actually really like the feel and tone of these. A little higher tension that TIs, but thats not such a bad thing. They bend fairly well, and are flexible to enjoy a bit of rocking out.

They are a bit sparkly as they are new, but give it a few weeks and they will soften up.