Why become a member? ×

Stingray 3EQ and 2EQ Sound Samples

Linus27

As requested by another basschat member, here are a couple of sound samples showing the difference between the 3EQ and 2EQ Stingray. I always wondered the difference so hopefully it will help others. Its the same part played with a pick and with fingers on both basses. The 3EQ is totally flat and the 2EQ with bass on full and treble on half. The reason I did the 2EQ with these settings is to try and get an even tone with the pick and to match the same sort of tone as the 3EQ. I also left the EQ on both basses the same with fingers as it was set when played with a pick. Again, to show an even tone across both basses.

I knocked these up pretty quick so sorry for the mistakes.

Stingray 3EQ with Pick

[attachment=44852:Stingray_3EQ_Pick.mp3]

Stingray 2EQ with Pick

[attachment=44854:Stingray_2EQ_Pick.mp3]

Stingray 3EQ with Fingers

[attachment=44853:Stingray..._Fingers.mp3]

Stingray 2EQ with Fingers

[attachment=44855:Stingray..._Fingers.mp3]

Be interested in what others think.

Bit more depth in the bass on the 2eq - but kind of expected that based on your eq settings. I usually put a touch of bass on my 3eq and roll off the treble slightly - In a live situation I adjust mids as required to fit the mix (ie scoop if necessary!)
3eq generally sounds a bit clearer/hifi - thats always been my experience.

Not a great deal of difference to my ears with those settings tbh

Perhaps someone can explain something to me?

I've always fancied a Musicman and indeed had a Sterling for a while, attracted by the smaller body size. The Sterling was a nice enough bass but I couldn't really get on with the sound and the neck was not quite right for me (thru very playable)

I should explain that I started with Fender P basses and then graduated to various actives before settling on Warwick Streamers. I have been after a more traditional looking bass for a potential project that sounds a bit different, but of course not too different!

The Sterling sounded a bit thin to me - would I have been better going for a Stingray and if so which one?

[quote name='peteb' post='775794' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:30 PM']Not a great deal of difference to my ears with those settings tbh

I've always fancied a Musicman and indeed had a Sterling for a while, attracted by the smaller body size. The Sterling was a nice enough bass but I couldn't really get on with the sound and the neck was not quite right for me (thru very playable)

I should explain that I started with Fender P basses and then graduated to various actives before settling on Warwick Streamers. I have been after a more traditional looking bass for a potential project that sounds a bit different, but of course not too different!

The Sterling sounded a bit thin to me - would I have been better going for a Stingray and if so which one?[/quote]

Stingray all the way. IMO, easier to 'play' than Fender Ps....I swap between the two and the Stingray neck is slightly easier, (even though the P always feels good).

The pickup on the Stingray sits in a perfect place for fingerstyle...and the bass tends to play itself.

They definitely do not sound thin. After researching, I think the Sterling is a tiny bit more 'modern' sounding.

I think with the pickups, the single h or h + s are my preferred option. Id never use a H at the neck, although a lot of people love the HH setup.

[quote name='peteb' post='775794' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:30 PM']Not a great deal of difference to my ears with those settings tbh

The Sterling sounded a bit thin to me - would I have been better going for a Stingray and if so which one?[/quote]

Hi Pete,

Depends on which one of Michael's sound clips you like best. If you like the cleaner focused sound with more bass boost, go for the 2eq. If you prefer the three-dimensional sound of the 3eq, go that way.

I know what you're saying about the Sterling - Same goes for the Stingray 5 up until early 2008. Both of these models have the ceramic magnets in the pickups & sport a highly bright and aggressive sound. I actually like that sound, but also love the warmth of the alnico magnets in the Stingray 4's (the 5er also has alnicos now!)

Now I have my 3eq/piezo Stingray set up as I like it, I'm not too bothered about getting a 2eq, but there's always that nagging doubt...

Cheers Michael.

So are you keeping the 2EQ?

I really like the tone in all the clips. The first two are great and the 2 EQ one is pretty close to what im getting with my Sub.

Any chance you can do another pick one with the 3 EQ boosted a little, something that sounds a bit meatier. Its the 3 Band EQ im more interested in as i dont have one.

If ive got this right the 2 EQ is flat with both knobs turned down. How does that compare to your ears with the 3EQ flat? Should they be the same, more or less).

Like you i find it a bit confusing not having any markings on the 2EQ knobs. But then i tend to run the bass almost right up.

Keep up the good work, its been very helpful to a lot of people.

There is a thread over on the EBMM forum which shows the differences between many different models here: [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42214-stingray-sound-examples.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...d-examples.html[/url]

Personally, I reckon the HH is the best, if only it came in 2EQ...

[quote name='Duarte' post='776018' date='Mar 16 2010, 09:47 AM']There is a thread over on the EBMM forum which shows the differences between many different models here: [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42214-stingray-sound-examples.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...d-examples.html[/url]

Personally, I reckon the HH is the best, if only it came in 2EQ...[/quote]

Cool, thanks for that.
Ive been looking on that site for a few days, working my way through some of the posts. This saves me some time.

Those clips are the same riff's used on the Lakland website aren't they? Ive always liked those sound clips.

Can i ask why you want a 2 band EQ over a 3EQ? what cant the 3EQ give that the 2 can?
Im only asking as im thinking about going from my Sub to either a 2EQ SR4 or a 3EQ Ray34.

EDIT: I think that link explains why a lot of people prefer the 2EQ versions so i guess that answers my question above. I can now see why people say to get a 2EQ to get closer to a P.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well for a start I never touch the mid knob (why I own 3 Bongos each with 2 mid knobs is anyone's guess....) but I also just prefer the subtle differences in the tone over that of the 3EQ. I'm talking those tiny differences you hear. Also I like how there are no detents, you just kind of turn the knobs until it sounds good, without being influenced by whether it is flat or not. The 2EQ also puts out more lower frequencies. It is literally subsonic in that respect, it goes down to 20hz rather than the 3EQ's 50hz. Not really such a big deal, I just prefer it's entire vibe.

Plus, it looks cooler with the output jack on the front.

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='Duarte' post='776042' date='Mar 16 2010, 10:12 AM']Well for a start I never touch the mid knob (why I own 3 Bongos each with 2 mid knobs is anyone's guess....) but I also just prefer the subtle differences in the tone over that of the 3EQ. I'm talking those tiny differences you hear. Also I like how there are no detents, you just kind of turn the knobs until it sounds good, without being influenced by whether it is flat or not. The 2EQ also puts out more lower frequencies. It is literally subsonic in that respect, it goes down to 20hz rather than the 3EQ's 50hz. Not really such a big deal, I just prefer it's entire vibe.

Plus, it looks cooler with the output jack on the front.[/quote]

Cheers for that. I have edited my post above as ive now read some of that thread.
Very interesting.

I guess each has its pros and cons. Im starting to like my 2EQ Sub more than my DD these days and maybe thats down to it being a 2EQ.
I must investigate the 3EQ a bit more.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='776011' date='Mar 16 2010, 09:41 AM']Cheers Michael.

So are you keeping the 2EQ?

I really like the tone in all the clips. The first two are great and the 2 EQ one is pretty close to what im getting with my Sub.

Any chance you can do another pick one with the 3 EQ boosted a little, something that sounds a bit meatier. Its the 3 Band EQ im more interested in as i dont have one.

If ive got this right the 2 EQ is flat with both knobs turned down. How does that compare to your ears with the 3EQ flat? Should they be the same, more or less).

Like you i find it a bit confusing not having any markings on the 2EQ knobs. But then i tend to run the bass almost right up.

Keep up the good work, its been very helpful to a lot of people.[/quote]

Hey Dave, my daughter is ill today and I have had to take the day off work. This has given me the chance to play both Stingrays a lot more. Last night I was really fed up with both and even more so as I was leaning towards the 3EQ. So today I've had a good play and I am now leaning more towards the 2EQ. If you remember, the original purpose was to have a bass I could play driving rock/punk on with a pick that would do the job of a Precision but not actually buy a Precision. Finger play was also required but less so as I would use my Warwick or Jazz for this. The 2EQ I am finding is more 2 dimentional and traditional sounding whilst retaining a version of the Stingray sound and despite not perfect, its giving me more of the tone I am after over the 3EQ.

If I am honest though, the 3EQ is a much nicer bass and in my opinion a better bass. Finger style the 3EQ has so many more options and is easier to adjust as the dials having the centre indent when flat. Playing the 2EQ today, I had to keep adjusting the tone dial as I had no reference point. A case of a little more treble, oops, to much, a little less, nope a bit more now etc etc. Both basses make a great tone with a pick but as I said earlier, the 2EQ was more traditional, Precision sounding which was what I was after. The 3EQ I would say had more of an original tone with a pick and a lot more options to shape the tone differently where as the 2EQ was more traditional and simple with only the option to add/remove bass and add/remove treble. Not that I play it, but slap bass it totally awsome on the 3EQ. In fact the 2EQ was down right dissapointing.

As I am after a one trick pony, something to play punk rock on with a pick, then for me the 2EQ suits me better but I am aware that its more limiting than my 3EQ. If I wanted a bass to do everything, finger style, slap, pick then personally I would pick the 3EQ. The 2EQ can do everything perfectly well but I think the 3EQ just gives you more options.

Going back to your question regarding the 2EQ sound clip. No, the 2EQ had the bass turned up full and the treble around half. The 3EQ settings were flat. The reason for this was to try and mimic the sound of the flat 3EQ Stingray with the 2EQ Stingray and this was to my ears the closest match.

No problem doing another recording with the 3EQ boosted. I will set it how I would run it if I was using it.

Glad it has helped everyone.

[quote name='Duarte' post='776042' date='Mar 16 2010, 10:12 AM']Well for a start I never touch the mid knob (why I own 3 Bongos each with 2 mid knobs is anyone's guess....) but I also just prefer the subtle differences in the tone over that of the 3EQ. I'm talking those tiny differences you hear. Also I like how there are no detents, you just kind of turn the knobs until it sounds good, without being influenced by whether it is flat or not. The 2EQ also puts out more lower frequencies. It is literally subsonic in that respect, it goes down to 20hz rather than the 3EQ's 50hz. Not really such a big deal, I just prefer it's entire vibe.

Plus, it looks cooler with the output jack on the front.[/quote]

Yeah I've noticed the extra lows on the 2EQ. It was a bit weird at first as it had lots of lows and lots of highs where as the 3EQ was more even and balanced over the entire tonal range. Took a bit of getting used to. Have to agree with the jack socket on the front being a better place.

Cheers Michael.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hope its nothing serious. Kids are great for getting time off work though aren't they.
My son has had a couple of days off with colds etc recently, funny that it always fall on a gig day ;-).

Ive been having lots of bad bass days over the past 6 months. Days when i just cant get a decent tone out of anything. Unfortunately i have made a few rash decisions on these days. Im a lot happier now, mainly down to the Sub.

I do understand what your saying about the 2EQ being more 2D and its this that make it sound closer to a P. And its a bit simpler as well.
Im not really after a bass with loads of tone options, at gigs i find it doesn't make a huge difference. The main thing is a nice solid tone.
I think all your clips show either basses can get this this but after a bit of a read i now realise the 2EQ goes a bit deeper, as Duarte said. This is probably why im liking it more than i thought i would. Its certainly not got that cutting, clanky tone i was dreading.

I find my Sub fills the same space in the mix as my DD but the Sub also has an edge to it that seems to help it poke through a bit, without having to resort to tuning the treble up. And with the bass all the way up, treble all the way down and played finger style over the neck i get a really nice tone for our rock and roll numbers. My DD cant get close to that and both basses have the same strings on them.

Like you i dont slap but do have a little tug and pop every now and then and it was probably me but i couldn't get the tone i thought i would out of it.

I guess a lot of the differences can be ironed out with some EQ adjustment on the amp anyway but these clips have shown the true differences.

Thanks again for doing them. Ill PM you later with some other thoughts, dont want to hijack this thread too much.

I have a 2EQ and I run the bass on full boost with the treble cut back about a quarter, so pretty much the same setting as yours. That's my prefered tone for the stingray. I think it's a fantastic tone.

Thanks for taking the time to do some more excellent clips.

I have 2 3EQ Stingrays. One of them is ten years old, and Ive had them both from new.

As they were classed as high end for me back when I was 18/19, Ive barely used them live, and they have been looked after like an expensive sports car!

At the time, when I was buying, the stores never had the 2EQ versions....and all the internet advice was to 'go for the 3EQ as its more flexible'.

I would like to have one 2EQ, but Id lose a lot of cash trying to swap for one. I wont be able to get one 2nd hand thats in the same condition as mine....id have to get one thats virtually new. So, im sticking with what Ive got.

What I notice is the finish first and foremost. Despite Fender now having a better QC, the EB finish is IMO a touch better. It seems very very solid, and has that brilliant high gloss shine.

My favourite? The natural with maple. The wood used is brilliant, and matches the shade of maple very closely.

I now make sure I play them at home and wipe the chrome down to make sure it still shines. Sad I know.

The natural is never getting sold, as it sentimental and my very first 'proper' bass guitar near the £1k mark. No one I knew at my age (18/19) had a brand new Ray as nice as mine so its going to be kept.

The black? The finish is awesome. It is such a deep black, and the rosewood board is dark and well finished. If im honest, I couldnt sell it. Its again been looked after really well, barely gigged, and looked after at home. Again, sad I know hahah.

A Ray cuts through the mix like crazy. Once the black Rays strings die, im going to change them for the EB Flats ive got waiting for it. A Stingray with flat sounds awesome.

[attachment=44896:IMG_2575.JPG]

[attachment=44899:IMG_2592.JPG]

Im a sucker for brunettes, but the blonde does it on this one!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='776221' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:18 PM']I have 2 3EQ Stingrays. One of them is ten years old, and Ive had them both from new.

As they were classed as high end for me back when I was 18/19, Ive barely used them live, and they have been looked after like an expensive sports car!

At the time, when I was buying, the stores never had the 2EQ versions....and all the internet advice was to 'go for the 3EQ as its more flexible'.

I would like to have one 2EQ, but Id lose a lot of cash trying to swap for one. I wont be able to get one 2nd hand thats in the same condition as mine....id have to get one thats virtually new. So, im sticking with what Ive got.

What I notice is the finish first and foremost. Despite Fender now having a better QC, the EB finish is IMO a touch better. It seems very very solid, and has that brilliant high gloss shine.

My favourite? The natural with maple. The wood used is brilliant, and matches the shade of maple very closely.

I now make sure I play them at home and wipe the chrome down to make sure it still shines. Sad I know.

The natural is never getting sold, as it sentimental and my very first 'proper' bass guitar near the £1k mark. No one I knew at my age (18/19) had a brand new Ray as nice as mine so its going to be kept.

The black? The finish is awesome. It is such a deep black, and the rosewood board is dark and well finished. If im honest, I couldnt sell it. Its again been looked after really well, barely gigged, and looked after at home. Again, sad I know hahah.

A Ray cuts through the mix like crazy. Once the black Rays strings die, im going to change them for the EB Flats ive got waiting for it. A Stingray with flat sounds awesome.

[attachment=44896:IMG_2575.JPG][/quote]

The two second hand Rays I have are both in mint condition. Not a single dent, scratch, mark, blemish on either. Both are the same condition as my new one was. They are built very well and do last so I would not worry about getting a second hand 2EQ. Just check before buying.

Dave and co, here are a couple more clips as requested.

The first is the 3EQ Stingray with full bass boost, mids and treble flat played with a pick.

[attachment=44901:3EQ_Stin...ss_Boost.mp3]

The second is the 2EQ Stingray with bass on full and the treble on about one third. This is my perfect setup.

[attachment=44902:2EQ_Stin..._Perfect.mp3]

Listening to the clips, I like them all!

I wouldnt have a problem owning any of them, but there is definitely a difference.

The 2EQ is slightly more muffled and vintage, whereas the 3 just screams aggression with a pick.

This is why I wanted a 2EQ classic.

How would you compare your old Ray in Natural to the new Teal?

[quote name='Linus27' post='776251' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:39 PM']Dave and co, here are a couple more clips as requested.

The first is the 3EQ Stingray with full bass boost, mids and treble flat played with a pick.

[attachment=44901:3EQ_Stin...ss_Boost.mp3]

The second is the 2EQ Stingray with bass on full and the treble on about one third. This is my perfect setup.

[attachment=44902:2EQ_Stin..._Perfect.mp3][/quote]

Cheers for this!

In this clip, I have a preference to the 3EQ....it sounds HUGE. They both sound great but the 3EQ does it for me on this one.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='776253' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:39 PM']Listening to the clips, I like them all!

I wouldnt have a problem owning any of them, but there is definitely a difference.

The 2EQ is slightly more muffled and vintage, whereas the 3 just screams aggression with a pick.

This is why I wanted a 2EQ classic.

How would you compare your old Ray in Natural to the new Teal?[/quote]

Both are very different. The 3EQ natural weights about 9.4lbs and the 2EQ teal weights about 8.2lbs. The natural also feels to have a fatter neck and more like a precision where as the teal feels thinner and flatter and reminds me of my original Stingray from 1998. The natural also sits nicer and balances better but its very minimal. My wife commented that I play the natural one more naturally.

At the end of the day, the differences are differences and not faults so its just a case of getting used to them especially as the 3EQ will probably be sold and the 2EQ will be the keeper.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='776221' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:18 PM']I have 2 3EQ Stingrays. One of them is ten years old, and Ive had them both from new.

[attachment=44896:IMG_2575.JPG]

[attachment=44899:IMG_2592.JPG]

Im a sucker for brunettes, but the blonde does it on this one![/quote]
You're probably not going to like this but if you ever were to be selling then now would be about the right time. The price for second hand 'rays has soared recently. It's probably cheaper to buy one from the USA and pay all the charges now than pay some of the asking prices on here at the moment. :) I don't expect it will last long as everyone will start doing it and before you know it supply will outstretch demand and they'll £550 again. The bad news for you is that a good condition with lumps and bumps 'ray will achieve the same price as a mint one.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='776276' date='Mar 16 2010, 02:03 PM']You're probably not going to like this but if you ever were to be selling then now would be about the right time. The price for second hand 'rays has soared recently. It's probably cheaper to buy one from the USA and pay all the charges now than pay some of the asking prices on here at the moment. :) I don't expect it will last long as everyone will start doing it and before you know it supply will outstretch demand and they'll £550 again. The bad news for you is that a good condition with lumps and bumps 'ray will achieve the same price as a mint one.[/quote]

Hi, thanks, I agree!

As the price on a new has gone sky high, mine would be a bargain considering how good it plays/looks and feels.

I might give it some thought....it could help towards a fretless or 5'er. I just really like them both though.