Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Ashula

Doddy

So,it looks like Ibanez have kind of revived an old Doug Wilkes idea with
the new Ashula.
It's a 6 string bass,only with four stings in standard tuning being fretted,and
another D and G string being fretless.

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC"]http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR2010ASC[/url]

Very cool. Not a new idea, but I guess the tuning is. I like the look of the pickups too. But this will be pricey, no doubt Japanese made and very rare too...I don't see it being too popular. I'm sure in 20 years we'll look back and talk about how cool but underrated it was!

Not sure about the Jatoba in the neck though, reminds me of...Wishnevsky!

"the world’s first fret/fretless hybrid bass guitar"

That's the same claim I've seen on every one of these hybrid monstrosities in the last 30 years :)

I can't think of any musical situation where I'd want a 2 string fretless added on to a 4 string in a way that it gets in the way of the 4 string. I predict failure, and to be honest I'm rooting for it too :rolleyes:

Almost. But not quiet.

I'd certainly change the tuning. EADGCF, methinks. Or maybe DGCFBbEb to give the drop "D" option?
Could they not have put the offset bridge coils into one soapbar housing? That'd have looked... [i]tidier[/i]
Then, a longer "dummy" housing for the neck "J" would have given it a better visual balance.
The features would stay the same, but it'd look neater.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='778118' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:12 PM']Bridge pickup only on fretless side? No thanks. Not everyone wants to be Jaco when the play fretless.[/quote]

Yeah the pickup config looks fecking stupid to me. Even if I only wanted a bridge pup I doubt I'd want it that close to the bridge, especially not for the weediest strings on my bass.