Why become a member? ×

Yes... it's ANOTHER Shuker!

Bigwan

Well I've gone and done it. I've just put down a deposit with Jon for a 6 string bolt-on custom.

Here's the spec we've agreed:-

35" scale
24 fret
2-way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
All wenge laminated neck
Birdseye fingerboard
Abalone dot inlays
Quilted maple head veneer (matching body finish)
Jumbo frets
Bone and brass laminated nut
Satin finish on neck (pores filled)
Red side LEDs (jaguar style rear control plate switch)

Wenge body (thinned down to save weight)
Quilted maple top (drop top, polyester basecoat, gloss tiger eye finish)
Matching ramp (matching quilt and finish)

EMG DC soapbars
John east / ac preamp (questionmark over this though)
black hardwear
solid ABM bridge with adjustable spacing (standard 19mm spacing)
Gotoh GB707 tuners

It's a big step for me, in more ways than one: my first custom and my first 6 string. I've been thinking about it for a while (and tried every couple of years for the last 10 to get Jon to build me something, but 2 redundancies and an engagement ring purchase have got in the way!).

Still a few things to iron out, mostly the preamp - I'd love to put an AC Wal-style preamp in this, but Alan (AC Guitars) isn't selling the preamp to the public. I'm giving this a bit more thought, and since it's about the last thing Jon needs a decision on I should have a while to ponder! Jon has quoted 12 - 20 weeks build time, but I'm taking 20 as minimum!

Hoping for a finish similar to this sadowsky:

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='84977' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:28 PM']Well I've gone and done it. I've just put down a deposit with Jon for a 6 string bolt-on custom.

Here's the spec we've agreed:-

35" scale
24 fret
2-way truss rod
Carbon fibre reinforcement
All wenge laminated neck
Birdseye fingerboard
Abalone dot inlays
Quilted maple head veneer (matching body finish)
Jumbo frets
Bone and brass laminated nut
Satin finish on neck (pores filled)
Red side LEDs (jaguar style rear control plate switch)

Wenge body (thinned down to save weight)
Quilted maple top (drop top, polyester basecoat, gloss tiger eye finish)
Matching ramp (matching quilt and finish)

EMG DC soapbars
John east / ac preamp (questionmark over this though)
black hardwear
solid ABM bridge with adjustable spacing (standard 19mm spacing)
Gotoh GB707 tuners

It's a big step for me, in more ways than one: my first custom and my first 6 string. I've been thinking about it for a while (and tried every couple of years for the last 10 to get Jon to build me something, but 2 redundancies and an engagement ring purchase have got in the way!).

Still a few things to iron out, mostly the preamp - I'd love to put an AC Wal-style preamp in this, but Alan (AC Guitars) isn't selling the preamp to the public. I'm giving this a bit more thought, and since it's about the last thing Jon needs a decision on I should have a while to ponder! Jon has quoted 12 - 20 weeks build time, but I'm taking 20 as minimum!

Hoping for a finish similar to this sadowsky:[/quote]

Nice one [b]Bigwan[/b],
sounds like a pretty sweet build!

That waiting begins....

Eude

• 5 months later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='85354' date='Nov 8 2007, 12:37 PM']Sounds like another great bass in the making ...
Just assume 30 weeks build time and then if it's 25 you'll still be happy :)[/quote]

Starting to look that way (30 weeks!).

Here's pics from a few weeks back, although I've just received them. The top has been stained since these and Jon's made the ramp (wenge topped with quilted maple). Looking forward to getting my hands on this beastie!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='179490' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:45 AM']Starting to look that way (30 weeks!).

Here's pics from a few weeks back, although I've just received them. The top has been stained since these and Jon's made the ramp (wenge topped with quilted maple). Looking forward to getting my hands on this beastie![/quote]

Gorgeous!

Hoping for a finish similar to this sadowsky:
[/quote]

I am selling the pre-amp to the public in the form of the ACG EQ02 unit if that helps.
Alan

After a bit of indecision I'm going without a preamp on this bass. In the last few months I've gone passive on all the basses I own so I'm keeping this one simple too. Just VVT for me, although if this changes I'd think yours would be number 1 on the list Alan!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='179504' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:06 AM']After a bit of indecision I'm going without a preamp on this bass. In the last few months I've gone passive on all the basses I own so I'm keeping this one simple too. Just VVT for me, although if this changes I'd think yours would be number 1 on the list Alan![/quote]

If it's not too late, get jon to add a double battery box and enough space in the cavity routing for an active system ..
Then if you add one later you've had all the painful bits done and you can just solder it in ..

My Shuker P5 has that, even though it's currently passive and likely to stay that way.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Bigwan' post='179609' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:16 AM']There's a double battery box route on there already and it's a full size control cavity too so loads of room for adding a circuit at a later date.[/quote]

Sorted then :)
It adds lightness to

[quote name='OldGit' post='179673' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:41 PM'][quote name='Bigwan' post='179609' date='Apr 18 2008, 11:16 AM']
There's a double battery box route on there already and it's a full size control cavity too so loads of room for adding a circuit at a later date.[/quote]
Sorted then :)
It adds lightness to
[/quote]
Only adds lightness if you don't go and fill it with bloody batteries... :huh:

[quote name='tauzero' post='183853' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:50 PM']Sorted then :)
It adds lightness to

Only adds lightness if you don't go and fill it with bloody batteries... :huh:[/quote]

Hummmmmm now there's thought..
Does the routing and cable tunnels take enough wood out to balance the weight of the battery, battery box and cables that go in ... Depends on the body wood I guess .. Mahogany? no problem.. B'asswood? humm probably not...

• 3 months later...

Things have been a bit quiet lately on this, but Jon sent me some pics last night. Took my breath away when I opened them!

[attachment=12105:DSCN4951.jpg][attachment=12106:DSCN4954.jpg]

Jon's having a week off next week and should be completing this one the week after that, which'll make it 42 weeks total build (quoted 12 - 20 weeks when I ordered). I'm in no hurry or I would have been a bit more annoyed about the delay, but these pics make up for quite a few of those weeks!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='262167' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:47 AM']Things have been a bit quiet lately on this, but Jon sent me some pics last night. Took my breath away when I opened them!

[attachment=12105:DSCN4951.jpg][attachment=12106:DSCN4954.jpg]

Jon's having a week off next week and should be completing this one the week after that, which'll make it 42 weeks total build (quoted 12 - 20 weeks when I ordered). I'm in no hurry or I would have been a bit more annoyed about the delay, but these pics make up for quite a few of those weeks![/quote]

Holy crap!
That looks good enough to eat!
You must be stoked...

Are you getting an adjustable ramp like on Dood's Doodle too?

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='262190' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:24 AM']Holy crap!
You must be stoked...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Totally chuffed with how it looks. My only concern is that I haven't seen the maple fingerboard in detail yet, but I trust Jon's judgement as far as wood goes.

Yes the ramp is the same idea as on 'The Doodle', the idea being it'll feel like one big pickup to rest my thumb on.

[quote name='eude' post='262190' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:24 AM']Holy crap!
You must be stoked...

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

That dood! Such an innovator!!