Why become a member? ×

ESP Basses

merello

Hi,

I have a Vintage 4 (the relic'd Precision at the top), and I love it... I've put Chromes flats on and is great to play. If you are looking for a PJ Precision type bass I can definitely recommend it (great build quality and hardware), I tried several Fenders P's and a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub and I preferred the ESP.

Cheers
Joao

I had a ESP custom shop several years ago. The quality of the finish was absolutely impressive, mirror-like paintjob, perfect fretwork and a body-neck joint so good that we (me and my bassist friends) used to think it was a neck-through instead of a bolt on. It had a SD humbucker and had a veeery good tone, but if plucked really hard the preamp clipped. It was overpriced IMO, but I bought it new very cheap since the guy that ordered it changed his mind.

Ultimately it had to go because I moved to 5 strings, and this one was 4.

[quote name='buff' post='774620' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:56 PM']I had a surveyor bass, took me about six months to sell it on here. Cracking bass but could'nt get used to its looks.[/quote]
I like the look of the natural surveyor.

One of my best sounding and playing basses I own is an ESP 400 series jazz, seen in the below picture (black with white scratchplate) and based on a 1962 Fender Jazz. Its from 1988 and is uber rare because it has the same headstock as a Fender. I think at the time, ESP were making parts for Fender Japan in the same factory so it could well had ended up as a Fender. I have never ever seen another ESP bass with this headstock. My bass has served me really well and done 100's of gigs. I would never ever sell it.

[quote name='Basska' post='774588' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:21 PM']The Bassist from Hi Standard uses ESP Basses and (IMO) they're one of the best pop punk bands ever formed. They make nice noises

Chris[/quote]

Man I LOVE Hi Standard. Nice to find more fat wreck punk fans!

Are you going to Groezrock?

[quote name='Linus27' post='774791' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:11 PM']One of my best sounding and playing basses I own is an ESP 400 series jazz, seen in the below picture (black with white scratchplate) and based on a 1962 Fender Jazz. Its from 1988 and is uber rare because it has the same headstock as a Fender. I think at the time, ESP were making parts for Fender Japan in the same factory so it could well had ended up as a Fender. I have never ever seen another ESP bass with this headstock. My bass has served me really well and done 100's of gigs. I would never ever sell it.

[/quote]

Back in the early 90's I had the very same as yours, a ESP 400 Jazz to which I put Bartolini's and Bart pream, BadassII sounded awesome. Lost it in a house move. (stolen from the removal truck) unfortunately with the insurance money received a year later from the removal comapny I was never able to find another one.

[size=4][b]R.I.P.[/b][/size]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='774794' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:15 PM']Man I LOVE Hi Standard. Nice to find more fat wreck punk fans!

Are you going to Groezrock?[/quote]

A HI STANDARD FAN! I think a miracle just happened somewhere! I too love those crazy japs. I was sad to hear when they split :)

I didn't actually know this festival existed! I'm paying for a new bass and all sorts of other stuff at the moment so nahh
But hearing that the Bosstones are playing kind of makes me want to drop everything and escape to belgium haha.
You goin'?

Chris

[quote name='bass5' post='774814' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:49 PM']Back in the early 90's I had the very same as yours, a ESP 400 Jazz to which I put Bartolini's and Bart pream, BadassII sounded awesome. Lost it in a house move. (stolen from the removal truck) unfortunately with the insurance money received a year later from the removal comapny I was never able to find another one.

[size=4][b]R.I.P.[/b][/size]

[/quote]

No way, that is so bad :):(:rolleyes::( I also put Barts in mine. Really gutted for you. Also, never knew they did matching headstocks. Where did you buy you're one from?

I own an Edwards bass made by ESP Japan if that counts?

[url="http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/am/E-AM-128QM.html"]http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/am/E-AM-128QM.html[/url]

I have the one in Black Cherry. It's purrrrrrrrty and the output has more headroom than my Ibanez ATK!

[quote name='Linus27' post='774791' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:11 PM']One of my best sounding and playing basses I own is an ESP 400 series jazz, seen in the below picture (black with white scratchplate) and based on a 1962 Fender Jazz. Its from 1988 and is uber rare because it has the same headstock as a Fender. I think at the time, ESP were making parts for Fender Japan in the same factory so it could well had ended up as a Fender. I have never ever seen another ESP bass with this headstock. My bass has served me really well and done 100's of gigs. I would never ever sell it.[/quote]
Now you've seen two :)

Like yours, mine is an 87 or 88, I got it in 93. I've done 100's of gigs with it too. In those years the likes of Sadowsky, Fender, Rickenbacker, Warwick, EBMM have come and gone, but this one stays. It's the bass for all occasions. Despite being a real prick for messing around with aftermarket bits, this one is still stock and it's the best sounding and playing bass I have. The headstock is a bit thicker than any Fender I've seen, I think this was as they were leaving the aftermarket parts business and becoming a full on manufacturer.

[quote name='erisu' post='775305' date='Mar 15 2010, 03:21 PM']I own an Edwards bass made by ESP Japan if that counts?

[url="http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/am/E-AM-128QM.html"]http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/am/E-AM-128QM.html[/url]

I have the one in Black Cherry. It's purrrrrrrrty and the output has more headroom than my Ibanez ATK![/quote]

Beautiful!

[quote name='Linus27' post='774791' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:11 PM']One of my best sounding and playing basses I own is an ESP 400 series jazz, seen in the below picture .....

[/quote]
Reeason I mention them is the current or last Guitarist magazine has a feature on the 1st Living Colour bassist and he's playing a red Jazz ESP.

[quote name='Basska' post='774588' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:21 PM']The Bassist from Hi Standard uses ESP Basses and (IMO) they're one of the best pop punk bands ever formed. They make nice noises

Chris[/quote]

Loads of bands play ESP basses. okay fair enough a lot of them are LTDs but i mean i think that shows just how good even the more inexpensive models are.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='775422' date='Mar 15 2010, 05:16 PM']Now you've seen two :lol:

Like yours, mine is an 87 or 88, I got it in 93. I've done 100's of gigs with it too. In those years the likes of Sadowsky, Fender, Rickenbacker, Warwick, EBMM have come and gone, but this one stays. It's the bass for all occasions. Despite being a real prick for messing around with aftermarket bits, this one is still stock and it's the best sounding and playing bass I have. The headstock is a bit thicker than any Fender I've seen, I think this was as they were leaving the aftermarket parts business and becoming a full on manufacturer.[/quote]

OH WOW :):) That looking superb and I love all the battle scars. I know, very unlikley but if you ever have a moment of madness and want to sell, let me know :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='774919' date='Mar 15 2010, 08:19 AM']No way, that is so bad :):(:rolleyes::( I also put Barts in mine. Really gutted for you. Also, never knew they did matching headstocks. Where did you buy you're one from?[/quote]

I bought it 2nd hand from Chandler Guitars in Richmond it was a customer's sale or return, not something Chandler would have in stock normally

[quote name='Linus27' post='775605' date='Mar 15 2010, 07:53 PM']OH WOW :):) That looking superb and I love all the battle scars. I know, very unlikley but if you ever have a moment of madness and want to sell, let me know :rolleyes:[/quote]
We both know that's never gonna happen :lol: