Why become a member? ×

Top straplock screw always comes loose

jim_bass

Does anyone else have this problem...

I fit strap locks to all my basses (and guitars) after dropping a few whilst playing. Problem is that on both of my current basses the screw keeps coming loose. I tighten it up every time I play, but after an hour it is loose again. I'm now paranoid that the screw is going to come out.

I'm thinking of either using wood glue to glue the screw in or trying to find a bigger screw (but I've done that already and it still comes loose).

Edited by jim_bass

[quote name='jim_bass' post='774409' date='Mar 14 2010, 04:20 PM']Does anyone else have this problem...

I fit strap locks to all my basses (and guitars) after dropping a few whilst playing. Problem is that on both of my current basses the screw keeps coming loose. I tighten it up every time I play, but after an hour it is loose again. I'm now paranoid that the screw is going to come out.

I'm thinking of either using wood glue to glue the screw in or trying to find a bigger screw (but I've done that already and it still comes loose).[/quote]

Do you mean the screw that holds the pin to the body? If so, it sounds like the hole is now too big; a bit of toothpick and some would glue should sort that no problem.

Gareth

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='774994' date='Mar 15 2010, 10:23 AM']I had one come loose (although not out) at a gig and used a splinter off my drummers drum stick. That seemed to work really well and it never moved again.[/quote]

Careful with drumsticks because the wood's very hard, you might end up splitting the wood on your bass if it's not as strong (more a problem on hollow bodied instruments where the wood's thinner).

Matchsticks are fine, one of my mates used matchsticks to hold up a door after he knocked it out of the frame and it never came out once in years. I usually put in a matchstick, screw in the screw, unscrew it again etc 3-4 times just to make sure that there's a lot of wood going in to really cram the hole, you can tell how firm it is by how hard it is to screw in the pin anyway.

[quote name='andyonbass' post='774572' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:08 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47268"]This[/url] is how I do it[/quote]

Awesome bit of work there. I'm going to do that this weekend.

I think those Schaller straplocks have screws that are slightly smaller than Fender screws, I've heard its so their screws will never crack the paint and they won't get sued...nuts but apparently true! I read it on the web so it has to be right! :)

[quote name='andyonbass' post='774572' date='Mar 14 2010, 07:08 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47268"]This[/url] is how I do it[/quote]

Very helpful. I have actually used longer screws in the past which gets purchase int the new wood it reaches, but I like the dow idea better