Why become a member? ×

some very able musicianship

essexbasscat

Just for those that love to see some very able musicianship

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnTGF5G5B6w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnTGF5G5B6w[/url]

( if anyone knows how to post a you tube clip directly onto here to avoid the link, would you please leave a 'how to' ? - Ta )

enjoy !

T

:)

Lads, lads! Now we are cooking with gas. Bert Rutier on bass, Pierre Van Der Linden on drums, Thjis Van Leer on organ, flute and yodeling and Jan Akkerman on guitar. One of the best bands of the early 70`s and I love em. I think this clip is from around late 72, early 73 on whistle test. They are still going but they went astray when Akkerman left in 75.

If you get a chance, check out the album Focus 3. The last track is called Anonymus two and lasts 26mins and was mostly done in one take. It even has a bass solo played by Akkerman.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='764271' date='Mar 4 2010, 06:29 PM']cheers dude

T[/quote]

thought I understood how to do this, but went to do it and now I'm not so sure.

Could someone please explain this to me in noddy language i.e. you do this, then that as I'm a dinosuar trying to get a grip on this !! sorry to have to ask folks

cheers

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='764364' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:39 PM']thought I understood how to do this, but went to do it and now I'm not so sure.

Could someone please explain this to me in noddy language i.e. you do this, then that as I'm a dinosuar trying to get a grip on this !! sorry to have to ask folks

cheers

T[/quote]

If it makes you feel better, I have the same problem. I recently converted from Windows 98. Good job I work with geeks. :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='764346' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:27 PM']If you get a chance, check out the album Focus 3. The last track is called Anonymus two and lasts 26mins and was mostly done in one take. It even has a bass solo played by Akkerman.[/quote]
Always difficult to name an all-time favourite band but Focus is right up there on my list.

I've read that Focus III was recorded in just two days. Agree that Anonymous II is a great track, but I've never heard that Akkerman played the bass solo and have always assumed it was Bert Ruiter.

I went to see them in December at St Albans Arena - absolutely fantastic, even though not the classic line-up.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='764364' date='Mar 4 2010, 07:39 PM']thought I understood how to do this, but went to do it and now I'm not so sure.

cheers

T[/quote]

try this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10414"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10414[/url]

Actually having just listened to the actual clip that's been posted I take it back partially...

The recorded version of "Hocus Pocus" is a cracking tune, but on this live version Focus bugger it up with their "able musicianship" by noodling tunelessly for the first half. It finally comes good once the guitar riff gets going properly at around 2:50, but what comes before that is best forgotten about.

Focus were a favourite band of a lot of my mates at school in the early 70's.
Seem to remember someone having a live album (Live at the Rainbow, or maybe a bootleg?)of theirs where Akkerman drops the
most amazing bollock whilst playing their big hit of the time 'Sylvia' -anybody heard/got this?