Why become a member? ×

Rare as hens teeth - and soon to be residing at Chez Burp!

neilb

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='761186' date='Mar 1 2010, 08:56 PM']I'm ready to be corrected on this big style but that looks all the world like one of the standard mkII PRS's with fancy inlays... with the exception of 'someone' writing prototype between the tuners with a permanent marker! :)[/quote]

Actually I'm not happy with the serial # either as the 150 is clearly different to the other numbers. There was one of these (exact same spec) being hawked on ebay about a year ago from a seller in Hong Kong and I wonder if someone isnt happy with what they've got.....

It's undoubtedly a PRS EB IV and a pretty one too..... but I"ll be surprised if it sells when this one in the US has just been relisted as it didnt sell......

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320490458848"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320490458848[/url]

Actually WH you're spot-on! prototype is Bollox....... Ser # 150 was 1/2 way through the 2nd year of production so a prototype of what I ask.....

[quote name='The Burpster' post='761184' date='Mar 1 2010, 08:55 PM']Not that rare........ :)

In fairness tho' the swamp ash bodied one is my fave of all of mine. May just have to give them a ring.[/quote]
That's a bonny collection you have there. Do they sound as Jazzy as they look?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='761222' date='Mar 1 2010, 09:25 PM']That's a bonny collection you have there. Do they sound as Jazzy as they look?[/quote]

Sadly thats not all of them....... :)

Check out post #30 in this thread......

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40227&hl=PRS&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...l=PRS&st=20[/url]

As to tone, they are very smooth, like a strong black coffee. Not everyones gonna like it, but you can't ignore it!

Back to the OP, I have just sent an email to Stevensville asking for the spec of serial #150 - there is something fishy about that ebay listing....

:rolleyes:

[quote name='throwoff' post='761384' date='Mar 2 2010, 12:10 AM']Not being funny but I dont see absolute music trying to rip someone off they far too well known.[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='761412' date='Mar 2 2010, 12:46 AM']FWIW I've bought from Absolute in the past and they've been very good. If there is an issue, I'm sure there will be an innocent explanation.[/quote]

No one has pointed a finger of blame. :)

I raised the issue that the whole 'prototype' thing looked a bit sus but I'm not doubting that it is a PRS bass. I would however say that being a [i][b]well known[/b][/i] music shop/store doesn't mean that they are mistake/blame free and it isn't an excuse for not following the maxim 'caveat emptor'! :rolleyes:

It cant be a prototype for at least 2 reasons I can see. Its a 2001 model and they came out in 2000, and the first models didnt sell as well as PRS had hoped because they were totally passive. The active version came in sometime in 2001 and turned it into a much better bass. This is an active bass.

Bob

Asstute observation but not strictly correct. the Pre amp was available in the first models as an option, as was teh option of a Piezo bridge. The passive ones didnt sell well and so they were all made after '01 with the preamp installed. You could however specify that you wanted it passive right up until the end of the production run (but why you would, is a mystery to me).

This info was passed to me by Stevensville after I was enquiring about my '01 passive and if I could retro fit the pre-amp.

As to it being a proto. I'd be fairly happy (even without the reply from Stevensville) to say its not. I'm also pretty happy that the serial # on the neck shown in those ebay pics is not original.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='762000' date='Mar 2 2010, 05:17 PM']Bob

Asstute observation but not strictly correct. the Pre amp was available in the first models as an option, as was teh option of a Piezo bridge. The passive ones didnt sell well and so they were all made after '01 with the preamp installed. You could however specify that you wanted it passive right up until the end of the production run (but why you would, is a mystery to me).

This info was passed to me by Stevensville after I was enquiring about my '01 passive and if I could retro fit the pre-amp.

As to it being a proto. I'd be fairly happy (even without the reply from Stevensville) to say its not. I'm also pretty happy that the serial # on the neck shown in those ebay pics is not original.[/quote]

Ah, I didnt know that. I thought it just changed from passive to active in 2001.

I owned 3 of them at one time, and really regret selling them now, if they are worth that much. I didnt get much more than £500 for any of them, including one that was a 10 top with birds!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='764031' date='Mar 4 2010, 03:22 PM']Bugger damn and boll8x......

Had a reply from, PRS and guess what? its genuine......

Now I have to try and buy the damn thing!

Will explain more if I can get hold of it....! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well I'm not going to bid against you so PM me and tell me more! :)

Spent too long dithering and someone else has bought it.....

Oh well...... thats Karma.

Anyhoo, it was indeed the 1st Swamp Ash bodied one that was made (hence prototype designation) and was hanging around for sometime in Mr Smiths personal collection. It was then given the #150 designation and was sold to a collector a few years ago.

So it does have [u]some [/u] history but other than being the 1st Swampy its just another EB-IV.

The 'cant make my mind up' thing was born out of mine being a Maple neck/ Swamp Ash combination that is just sublime. This being Rosewood (birds are an irrelevant distraction to me) it just wasnt screaming at me.

Someone has bought themselves an absolute doosey of a bass tho' and you never know they might get bored with it! :)