Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

53 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Well, it didn't have the desired effect - it did clean it up a little but not a lot. Going to have a look at my bench grinder to see if I can mount a polishing wheel onto that.

unless you're going for a mirror finish getting all the sanding in one direction works well

2 hours ago, danbowskill said:

To those in the know... I've just bought a used fuzz (which sounds fantastic) ,but the pop from the switch through my amp when turning on/off is irritatingly loud.

Would swapping out the footswitch solve this or maybe it's a design floor?

Cheers

I've a DIY pedal that does the same and I need to sort... I think it's a cap across the input that solves it 

On 20/10/2023 at 12:48, MartinB said:

Well above my knowledge (which is very little 😂).

If there's any of you smart gents here that fancy a crack on my pedal for a few£ ? It'll be greatly appreciated 👌🍻

Pretty much no info on it , but it's a tweaked russian fuzz

https://reverb.com/uk/item/63355474-crowella-effects-voskhod

55 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

Well above my knowledge (which is very little 😂).

If there's any of you smart gents here that fancy a crack on my pedal for a few£ ? It'll be greatly appreciated 👌🍻

Pretty much no info on it , but it's a tweaked russian fuzz

https://reverb.com/uk/item/63355474-crowella-effects-voskhod

Share a gut shot on here. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

@LukeFRC, you need an equivalent to a John Bull printing outfit for letter stamps so they're all aligned. Or a laser engraver.

That was what @jimbobothy was saying too - I’m a graphic designer by trade so if I put the time in and wanted  professional level design and lettering - that would be easy! 

what I love about metal stamping and Fairfield circuitry’s aesthetic that I’m aping is that it’s not perfect or trying to be. There’s a certain organic imperfection. 
In the design world for somethings I’ve sometimes taken a headline and taken it out of the programs defined kerning and baseline deliberately messed it up so it doesn’t feel so machine made. 

however getting the letter sideways… had me swearing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.60e327a7094df491621d8f176a7b83bd.jpeg

This is one of the most beautiful looking pedals out there to my mind. 
if I were loaded I wouldn’t be messing around DIY building things I couldn’t afford otherwise - but would have a pedal board with everything they make 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

Soooo, potentially a case of soldering a large (e.g. 1MΩ, 2.2MΩ) resistor between these two? 🤔

image.png.c082cf4e8071e14ae79ce0c016a9092b.png

I appreciate that by saying this, I am literally That Guy the article mentions... 😆

"Your switch is popping?  Yeah, some moron didn't put pull-down resistors in.  Just put a 2M2 or 10M or *some other arbitrary value* in and that'll fix everything!!  Trust me, I'm a builder." Yeah.  I've heard that one too.  And I've seen guys do all kinds of crazy stinky poo with these so-called pull-down resistors, often times destroying the operation of the circuit, or simply including a moot part.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Soooo, potentially a case of soldering a large (e.g. 1MΩ, 2.2MΩ) resistor between these two? 🤔

image.png.c082cf4e8071e14ae79ce0c016a9092b.png

I appreciate that by saying this, I am literally That Guy the article mentions... 😆

depends if it's the input or output of the effect causing it.. .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Does anyone want any PCBs from deadendFX? - https://www.deadendfx.com/products

There's a few that I want but their shipping rate has sky rocketed since i last ordered - $60 for a fair few PCBs - anybody interested in splitting shipping costs?

not really crossed my mind, but would be cool to hear what you're thinking of building!

E5512590-15FA-4341-A54B-944598C4E5EE.thumb.JPG.0b179b5b55ecce18a23794a43fbee8f4.JPG

right ... review time of the Lab Series L4 preamp since I've built it... 

It's the oddest sounding thing I've built! It doesn't sound like I would expect it too, and can't put my finger on why! 

What I was expecting was "preamp pedal, quite clean, maybe crossed with an low gain overdrive pedal."
The closest thing I've experienced to it is my old HX stomp and flicking between two amp models (once set up with non crazy gain) - there's a processed nature to the sound, some compression maybe? and a complexity that feels more like an amp model, esp when getting hairy, than something like most the OD pedals I've tried (or indeed models of said OD on HX stomp or the Zoom stuff) 

Channel A is pure Fender tonestack, probably more bassman feeling than showman preamp - there's that classic dip in the mids.
Channel B is more- I dunno what - I can get more driven rock tones out of it. Deep switch on both just adds more everything and changes the way it reacts. Swept mids is very powerful but fairly wide Q I think. 

You can set it up so A is lower gain, and B higher, and then bounce the high gain into the post master limiter to keep the signal level under control. 

Playing with it this way I was thinking "this is finicky to set up and get levels right" ... and then played along to a track and it sounded great - slightly dirty but fitting in the mix and not fizzy or shouty at all - just right and part of the tone I was hoping to get when I built this pedal. 

Another strange thing... The preamp I built before this was a valve version of a Alembic/Fender showman, and it had quite a lot of output that would quickly clip the colourbox at the end of my chain. 

This also has lots of output, or at least sounds LOUD-  but doesn't seem to make clip the colourbox clip as much - I don't think it's subsonics as I was using a HPF between them but it's very strange. 

Anyway. slightly fiddly to set up, but rewarding when it is. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jimbobothy said:

... on another note, has anybody had any experience of replacing SMT stuff? I've heard it's pretty hard, not that I need to though, just wondering how it's done.

So that PCB I’m sorting you with… I guess I’ll do the SMT J201s then for you 🤣 

it’s fiddly and annoying and frustrating but not impossible. For not microscopic parts… IC or computer chips with the super fine solder pads I wouldn’t want to touch!! I use solder with lead in - I can’t imagine doing it with lead free stuff

Edited by LukeFRC