Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1287893' date='Jun 30 2011, 03:46 PM'][b]Doss Performer[/b]
This is for our lead guitarist. It doesn't do anything,
just the red LED flashes randomly for a bit when someone stomps on it.
He seems to like it though.[/quote]

Get the talent knob to work and I'll buy one off you.

Edited by retrohelix

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1287893' date='Jun 30 2011, 03:46 PM'][b]Doss Performer[/b]

This is for our lead guitarist. It doesn't do anything,

Brilliant!
I like it. :)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1287893' date='Jun 30 2011, 04:46 PM']This is for our lead guitarist. It doesn't do anything,

LOL. I´ll have to try that sometime.
Anyway, I´ve soldered the Red Llama PCB and the extra tone pot, and I´ll finish assembling it when I´ve painted the enclosure.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1295410' date='Jul 6 2011, 11:30 PM']mark 2 talent pedal will get its first airing at next saturdays gig :)[/quote]
does this one do anything?

I've actually done a 'talent booster' myself, but it's really just a preamp with amusing things, ie there's a 'gender' control which blends between the original signal and the octave up fuzz, that sort of thing. i'm considering doing a DSP version with rotary encoders instead of knobs, that way I can program it such that no matter how you turn the knobs, it only goes louder lol.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1297101' date='Jul 8 2011, 12:49 PM']Look great - I've gound best/easiset graphics have been desktop printing onto self-adhesive clear film, then spraying a few thin coats of acrylic clear lacquer over the top to protect the print.[/quote]

Hi Al

Cheers for the advice. Once I get a good printer I will be able to start making these graphics. I can't wait!

Still struggling with a Brand name though. I only put "Jimbo's Custom Creations" on the SVT as a placeholder. Any suggestions??

what about a 3-letter acronym using your initals or something with sonic or audio or sound, etc. in the title?
Pun on another name like Dross or Fxtronix?
Hboss
BassFace
S'thing to do with your basses? groovemonkey funkmonkey
metalhead,
i'm out of ideas now

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1297596' date='Jul 8 2011, 08:03 PM']what about a 3-letter acronym using your initals or something with sonic or audio or sound, etc. in the title?
Pun on another name like Dross or Fxtronix?
Hboss
BassFace
S'thing to do with your basses? groovemonkey funkmonkey
metalhead,
i'm out of ideas now[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Something to do with Sonic or Audio or something but I just can't find anything that I like! More brainstorming to be done I guess :)

[quote name='retrohelix' post='1289652' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:09 PM']Get the talent knob to work and I'll buy one off you.[/quote]
It maybe needs amended to "talentless". I know a few talenless knobs that dont work. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this is a common problem or not...but I've built a wooly mammoth clone....everything works when bypassed but there is no sound at all when the pedal is engaged! Anything I should check? This is my first ever build and I'm very much a newbie to all of this!

Does the LED light up as it should when the effect is engaged. If not then it's possibly a problem with the power getting to the pedal.

If not check the connections between the footswitch and the board. Also check that there's no cold solder joints (dull grey colour) or anything shorting out on the case/back of pots.

[quote name='dan2112' post='1337220' date='Aug 12 2011, 06:00 AM']Not sure if this is a common problem or not...but I've built a wooly mammoth clone....everything works when bypassed but there is no sound at all when the pedal is engaged! Anything I should check? This is my first ever build and I'm very much a newbie to all of this![/quote]
I just had that same problem. I wired the input and output jacks the wrong way round. If that isn´t the problem, you´ll have to use yer multimeter.

Not sure if this is an "effect" but it is a stompbox. I'm building a footswitch for my eden metro combo. It's got 2 switches, channel 1/2 and mute for tuning. I've ordered a couple of LEDs and a resistor for it including a flashing one for the mute and whenever they get here i should be able to get on with it.

Thinking about making this:

Its my first attempt at making a effect. so i have a few questions.

1) How can i make this work on bass? or will it already?

2) Where would i put an LED if i wanted one so i knew it was switched on?

Any other tips would be amazing? Is this a good overdrive for a first attempt?

1. It will work on bass but it might cut some low end. Increasing the low end can be difficult the only way I know is to change the value of the first and last capacitor in circuit. I think the bigger value = more bass but you'll have to experiment.

2. For LED display and switching check this page here: [url="http://buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6525"]http://buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtop...?f=9&t=6525[/url]

There's some good vero layouts for the DOD250 if you check google.

2N5088 can be replaced with a 2N3904 which you will find everywhere (except Tesco's I think) - or a 2N4401 - or a BC549 - or a BC108.
Sometimes you just have to doouble check you don't have your legs crossed when you substitute different trannies.

Visit the Beavis Audio site for more schematics about using a 3pdt stompswitch to wire up an indicator LED into the circuit.

Edited by Al Heeley

I managed to find someone selling the 2N5088's on ebay 5 for £3.30 bit dear but hey ho. Thanks for the advice on the LED switch

Everything including the box itself came in at just under £20 so we shall see if it was worth it lol.

Also just a quick question. Do i wire my stompswitch directly after the input socket? also my 9v neg lead should go to the input or output jack socket right?

Thanks guys

The stomp switch goes right between the input and output jacks. The ground of your DC jack goes to the sleeve part of either input or output jack (I assume thats what you mean by 9V neg.)

I'd advise building the Bazz fuss with a socket for the transistor and diodes so you can try lots of different ones out to find your favorite :)