Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a double bass

Steve A

Has anyone ever had a double bass refinished?

I have a bass which I don't really like the colour of and wondered if it's possible to refinish in a darker colour, remove the shiny look of it and therefore improve my quality of life.

Any thoughts or idea of costs?

Steve

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='755176' date='Feb 23 2010, 04:42 PM']Has anyone ever had a double bass refinished?

I have a bass which I don't really like the colour of and wondered if it's possible to refinish in a darker colour, remove the shiny look of it and therefore improve my quality of life.

Any thoughts or idea of costs?

Steve[/quote]

Possibly hundreds to have a proper double bass repairer redo it with a new darker finish. They should give you a quote though which will help you decide.

I was going to do this to my B&H Excelsior, not because I didn't like the colour, and it sure as hell wasn't shiny any more, but because it was looking seriously tatty, and I was embarrassed to take it out. However, when I got it all stripped down to wood I kinda liked it, and remembered how I'd hankered for a blonde bass all those years ago. So, taking a guitar-builder's advice I slapped on 7-8 layers of shellac.

Find out a bit more about it here...

[url="http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=96193816&blogId=246561590"]myspace blog[/url]

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='756279' date='Feb 24 2010, 05:42 PM']Thanks Slap.

I wouldn't ever do any practical work myself because I'm a complete spanner with anything practical.

I'm sure it's better just to spend money on a more suitable bass.[/quote]

I once stripped and refinished an upright.

It was really battered when I bought it.

I learn't a lot from this experience as when I took the strings off I realised the neck joint was loose and the sound post dropped.

So off came the neck and I stripped the whole bass, re fitted the neck, then refinned with several layers of something out of a tin.

It probably cost me about £30 to do but a lot of time & elbow grease.

I played the bass for a few years before I got my first carved instrument.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of taking my new bass, which has a similar finish to Steve's, to a furniture restorers, as I quite fancy stripping it down to the wood, like what Teej did but I'm completely inept.

Edited by steviedee

Rub it all over with gravy granules*. It might harm the varnish but the dog will LOVE it :)

*NB this post was added for comedic effect. Rubbing your bass with gravy granules is NOT a method of ageing that is recommended by the International Society of Bassists.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='835061' date='May 12 2010, 09:30 AM']Rub it all over with gravy granules*. It might harm the varnish but the dog will LOVE it :)

*NB this post was added for comedic effect. Rubbing your bass with gravy granules is NOT a method of ageing that is recommended by the International Society of Bassists.[/quote]

you're right, the ISB recommend used tea bags..... :rolleyes:

[quote name='daflewis' post='835160' date='May 12 2010, 11:14 AM']you're right, the ISB recommend used tea bags..... :)[/quote]

I thought you meant Incredible String Band for a second there despite reading Bilbo's post a few seconds earlier. I bet they did use tea bags on a few recordings though.

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='835200' date='May 12 2010, 12:02 PM']I thought you meant Incredible String Band for a second there despite reading Bilbo's post a few seconds earlier. I bet they did use tea bags on a few recordings though.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:

Stripped the varnish off the back of the bass down to the wood, I've started so I have to finish, going to strip the rest of the bass then coat with tung oil or Danish oil ..... well that's the plan at the moment.

With any luck I'll have a cool blonde bass which was pretty cheap if not I'll get a good fire going !