Why become a member? ×

Need a powerfull bass amp!

Skinkemann

My current bass amp is [url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-60-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480720"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/pr...-Amp?sku=480720[/url]

problem is when I play with my band I can't hear anything of what I'm playing, unless I'm sitting right beside the bass amp.

We're playing really loud. And I would love some advice of what I should look for so I and my bandmates can hear me without having to hug my amp when we play.

I don't know what I should look for in a bass amp, the size, watts? etc.
or simple advices on different bass amps would be great

playing death metal'ish music.

thanks

You need watts my friend, 60 watts isnt enough with a drummer... especially with all those metal blast beats
check out the for sale forum, plenty of great deals

theres a big peavey rig for about 200 quid i think with a 2x15" cab

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='752862' date='Feb 21 2010, 03:09 PM']My current bass amp is [url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-60-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480720"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/pr...-Amp?sku=480720[/url]

problem is when I play with my band I can't hear anything of what I'm playing, unless I'm sitting right beside the bass amp.

We're playing really loud. And I would love some advice of what I should look for so I and my bandmates can hear me without having to hug my amp when we play.

I don't know what I should look for in a bass amp, the size, watts? etc.
or simple advices on different bass amps would be great

playing death metal'ish music.

thanks[/quote]

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='752873' date='Feb 21 2010, 04:25 PM']What kind of budget have you got? Would help people make suggestions. :)[/quote]

Weeelll, not sure how much I would be willing to pay and how much money is required for what I need. Think I could go up to 800pounds. Unless I'm to cheap about it now? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='752920' date='Feb 21 2010, 04:15 PM'][url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-KBA-210C-2x10-Bass-Combo?sku=481428"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/pr...ombo?sku=481428[/url]

think this would do it? :rolleyes:

Looking at the reviews it looks pretty neat![/quote]

I think that might struggle to be honest.

Ideally you want something with 300w+ and (just to be safe because I got a 320w into a 2x10 and it can't really cope) get a 1x15" speaker or 4x10". There's plenty of combos around with 300w and a 1x15. :) The Peavey amp in the for sale forum that JMT mentioned would be a lot of amp for little money if you can transport the cab. Plus it would allow for upgrades to the speaker or head as you feel like it in the future.

Hi there i would suggest an ashdown rig ive got a 600w head woth a 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab and i paid far less than the RRP for it by going to www.musicwarehouse.co.uk and my rig came to far less than the 800 quid your willing to spend i would also suggest ashton heads as i use them at the studio we rehurse in and they use some old worwick cabs in one and an acoustic cab in the other studio and they both sound very nice to be honest and have plenty of grunt.

I would also agree with with the comment above if you are playing in that type of band you want a fair amount of wattage i would have thought that 600 should do you i would hope you wouldnt need any more than that although out on the road that may change.

In my local music shop they have a hartkie 2x10 cab a 1x15 cab and an amp not sure of power but not quiet and thats only 799 and they are very nice bits of equipment i must say. and i would imagine that if your ung them if you were interested they would post it to youif you were interested in it.

The shop is in kigh wycombe and it is called kingfisher music.

hope this all helps

Markus

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='752880' date='Feb 21 2010, 03:33 PM']Think I could go up to 800pounds.[/quote]

You can get yourself an excellent rig for that money secondhand or even a pretty good rig brand new.

The problem with your Rumble is that it's a practice amp. An amp in the region of 250-500W is not a bad starting point with a pair of well-built cabs.

I appreciate all the replies! Thanks alot. I have more wisdom now than when I started the thread :rolleyes:

I'm a bit sceptical with the for sale forum, seeing as I live in Norway. My plan was to find one, then go to the local music store and get them to order it for me, the safest way I would guess.

I'm still looking and reading :)

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='753318' date='Feb 21 2010, 10:11 PM']....I'm a bit sceptical with the for sale forum, seeing as I live in Norway. My plan was to find one, then go to the local music store and get them to order it for me, the safest way I would guess....[/quote]
I think you need a 500 watt amp and a 410 cab.

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='753434' date='Feb 22 2010, 01:14 AM']can I just ask what you mean with "secondhand"?
:)[/quote]

Secondhand means something that has been previously owned. For instance, if you were to buy something from our for sale forum, you would be buying it secondhand. (it also means that you would pay less :rolleyes: )

Have a read of this for the technical side of choosing an amp. [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/making_it_loud.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gea...ng_it_loud.html[/url]

Your going to need 200W if it is going through a reasonably efficient (loud) speaker. I personally wouldn't buy any amp I couldn't try whether new or second hand as the sound it makes is kind of the point. I've used Peavey and Ashdown, both good and in your price bracket but there are plenty of others just as good. Think about what you want to carry too. Thats why I lost the Peavey 2x15.

Mixing and matching is fine IME. It's still best to try them first though, as most manufacturers design their cabs to work with their amps. As others have said, there are some great used/secondhand deals on here and even if you paid for your own shipping you could still save a lot of money against a new purchase.

After some thinking I've excluded the top+cabinet of my list, I've read alot around that people often have problems with getting them work properly if they don't have much knowledge about it.

[i]Ashdown MAG C410T-300 EVO II Bass Combo Amp Features:

* 307W RMS power
* 4 - 10" BlueLine speakers and tweeter
* Bass, middle, and treble controls
* Rotary controls for 15dB of cut/boost at 220Hz and at 1.6kHz
* Front panel shape switches for Bright and Deep settings
* Ashdown's acclaimed subharmonic generator for enhanced low-end response
* Active and passive bass inputs
* Effects send and return
* Tuner/line output
* Balanced DI output
* Extension cab outputs
* Black carpet exterior
* Steel grille
[/i]

After what's been said, this is looking quite nice. Anyone has experience with this?
Yea I know I ask alot, just don't wanna jump in it and buy

[quote name='Skinkemann' post='754380' date='Feb 22 2010, 09:07 PM']....After some thinking I've excluded the top+cabinet of my list, I've read alot around that people often have problems with getting them work properly if they don't have much knowledge about it....[/quote]
I don't know anyone who has ever had a problem running a separate amp and cab. That is the usual thing to do! The benefits are that you can add cabs if you need to and you can upgrade separately, which will save you money in the future.

Also if you play a gig with a cab supplied, you just have to take your amp! Plus, if either the head or cab breaks, you only have to replace that part, rather than the whole thing.

That combo is ok, I use it at my practice room, does the job but I never get a tone I'm happy with out of it and both have failed at some point.