Why become a member? ×

76 Stingray dilemma

implo

So yes, I live in sunny Norway - the land of snow, dull cheese and incredibly expensive instruments. It's commonplace to buy stuff from half way around the world, pay shipping, import taxes and VAT and still come out smiling.

Imagine my disbelief, then, when I learn of a 1976 Stingray for sale here at way under the price of a new EB. I get in contact with the guy selling it and yes, it's still for sale. I requests pictures and...
there's the catch.

In very good nick, but it seems the the previous owner decided to paint it.
White.

Predictably, in such a situation there is no choice but to take refuge in the humble list.

[b][+][/b]
• It's a '76 Stingray.
• It's going to be 100% studio-bound so how it looks isn't particularly important to me as a player.
• It's a '76 Stingray.

[b][–][/b]
• A homemade paint-job is going to absolutely f*ck the resale value. And while I don't think it's likely I'll sell it in the future, I felt exactly the same about my previous 4 basses. Which I sold.
• It's close to 300 quid beyond what I had in mind as a budget.
• It's white, which is just about the unsexiest colour for a bass at the best of times, but especially in this case given this should be a schaa-wing! bass of the highest order.

:)
What to do? What do do!

Strip it back to bare wood and wax/oil it. Make it your own. Make sure the original finish isn't underneath the refin first, occasionally people get lucky like that (or unlucky when they find out too late that they could have saved the original finish).

Either way, buy it, and good luck

Chris

[quote name='noelk27' post='747458' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:04 PM']You always have the option of getting it refinished. I suppose it depends on how much of the bass is original (electronics, hardware, etc), and what the asking price is when measured against market value for an factory finished example.[/quote]

It's the 'keeping original' bit which is such a problem. Although, I suppose as it's already non-original that's a moot point. Other than the paint, as far as I'm aware it's original.

The market's not exactly buoyant here at the moment, but it's going for roughly 1200 quid. New EBs here are anything from 1500 up to the late 2000s. Vintage MMs can sell for anything from 1300 to stupid money, depending on condition. This one 'should be' 2000, I'm told.

Edited by implo

[quote name='Beedster' post='747462' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:07 PM']Strip it back to bare wood and wax/oil it. Make it your own. Make sure the original finish isn't underneath the refin first, occasionally people get lucky like that (or unlucky when they find out too late that they could have saved the original finish).[/quote]

That's a bloody good idea, that. I had thought of getting it resprayed, but oiling it would be a lovely option. From the pictures, I think the original finish was natural, so hopefully it wouldn't be horror-show underneath.

Thanks. :)

I guess you may not be able to see what the original colour was until you take it apart. There may be traces in the electronics wells. If you can't get it back to the original, then I'd agree with Beedster and go for stripping it back to the wood and go for a wax/oil finish.

[quote name='Les' post='747516' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:48 PM']Don't think it looks that bad to be honest. The fret board looks in better nick than my 79 Ray, so I say go for it, and welcome to the club, so to speak. :)[/quote]

:rolleyes: As far as WHITE basses go it's not to shabby, but it's just so hair-metal.

Coincidentally, I viewed a '79 Ray recently and the fretboard was shockingly bad. Maybe they were using different techniques or something.

But these replies have been very helpful, especially so given this was essentially my first post. Sincerely, thanks all.

Edited by implo

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='747508' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:41 PM']I guess you may not be able to see what the original colour was until you take it apart. There may be traces in the electronics wells. If you can't get it back to the original, then I'd agree with Beedster and go for stripping it back to the wood and go for a wax/oil finish.[/quote]
Doesn't look too bad to me - but beware if you strip it back to bare wood it's more likely to be a boring looking Alder body rather than an interesting looking Ash. Also, if you do decide to give it an oil and wax finish it'll make it very very difficult to repaint it.

1300 sounds quite allot of money - especially for a refin. Have you checked out any others from around the world (with shipping etc.)?

[quote name='henry norton' post='747532' date='Feb 16 2010, 06:57 PM']Doesn't look too bad to me - but beware if you strip it back to bare wood it's more likely to be a boring looking Alder body rather than an interesting looking Ash. Also, if you do decide to give it an oil and wax finish it'll make it very very difficult to repaint it.

1300 sounds quite allot of money - especially for a refin. Have you checked out any others from around the world (with shipping etc.)?[/quote]

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a natural finish that's been painted over. I've asked the seller the same but not gotten a reply as of yet. That being the case, I would hope the body's a decent chunk of wood.

12000NOK is expensive, but the market here is totally dead for the moment. I've been looking for a Stingray since december and found only 3 so far, all of which were either too expensive or sold. The market for used basses here is infinitely smaller than the UK, more's the pity. This is also a shop-bought bass, so will have been set up properly. That alone is something which will cost me in excess of 100 quid if I were to buy the service.

And yep, I've contacted people abroad, both in the UK and the US (a couple through basschat actually) but the shipping hassle and the charges I'll incur are definitely a deterrent. That said , I am keeping my options open for the moment, and the only reason this particular bass is tempting is entirely down to the age.

Looks OK from the photo's. Have you played it, if it feels/sounds good then get it. Many 70's Musicman basses are heavy which is a no no for me. I picked up my Stingray in '79 and it weighs in a tad over 8.5lbs, which is light for a Stingray. Had from new and still love it:

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='alanbass1' post='747683' date='Feb 16 2010, 07:48 PM']Looks OK from the photo's. Have you played it, if it feels/sounds good then get it. Many 70's Musicman basses are heavy which is a no no for me. I picked up my Stingray in '79 and it weighs in a tad over 8.5lbs, which is light for a Stingray. Had from new and still love it:

[/quote]
WOW....

[quote name='alanbass1' post='747683' date='Feb 16 2010, 08:48 PM']Looks OK from the photo's. Have you played it, if it feels/sounds good then get it. Many 70's Musicman basses are heavy which is a no no for me. I picked up my Stingray in '79 and it weighs in a tad over 8.5lbs, which is light for a Stingray. Had from new and still love it:

[/quote]

Sir! That is unutterably gorgeous. I'm an absolute sucker for the classic finishes and that looks in exceptional condition. Excuse me as I wipe the drool from my chin.

No, I've not been able to play it as it's a long way away and I don't drive. I've played Rays before, although not pre-EB. If I decide to go ahead, one of the terms will be that I can return it if I don't like it. One of the advantages of buying from a shop, I suppose.

Edited by implo

[quote name='implo' post='747623' date='Feb 16 2010, 08:00 PM']I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a natural finish that's been painted over. I've asked the seller the same but not gotten a reply as of yet. That being the case, I would hope the body's a decent chunk of wood.

12000NOK is expensive, but the market here is totally dead for the moment. I've been looking for a Stingray since december and found only 3 so far, all of which were either too expensive or sold. The market for used basses here is infinitely smaller than the UK, more's the pity. This is also a shop-bought bass, so will have been set up properly. That alone is something which will cost me in excess of 100 quid if I were to buy the service.

And yep, I've contacted people abroad, both in the UK and the US (a couple through basschat actually) but the shipping hassle and the charges I'll incur are definitely a deterrent. That said , I am keeping my options open for the moment, and the only reason this particular bass is tempting is entirely down to the age.[/quote]
Yeah that's a fair point but it's a buyers market at the moment so prices should be pretty good. I know some people swear by old MusicMan basses - I've owned a pre EB Stingray - and it certainly had some quality issues you wouldn't find on any Ernie Ball Ray, so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble buying an older version. That said, if you want it RIGHT NOW and are prepared to do some work on it who am I to tell you otherwise? Good luck with it.

Just buy it! Then strip it and paint it black.... :)

Finding decent '76 StingRays these days is hard work.

From personal experience the pre-EBs sound way better than post-EBs - much fatter in the lower end, and not so 'clacky' with the treble dialled in.

I have a '79er and as soon as EB started production back in the 80s I bought one as a live back-up bass - the sound sucked compared to the '79 so i sold it about 2 months later...

Edited by matski

[quote name='matski' post='748342' date='Feb 17 2010, 01:54 PM']Just buy it! Then strip it and paint it black.... :lol:

Finding decent '76 StingRays these days is hard work.

From personal experience the pre-EBs sound way better than post-EBs - much fatter in the lower end, and not so 'clacky' with the treble dialled in.

I have a '79er and as soon as EB started production back in the 80s I bought one as a live back-up bass - the sound sucked compared to the '79 so i sold it about 2 months later...[/quote]

:) I do love a ray in black, it must be said. You're definitely not the first to say the sound is very different, and it's mostly that that's putting pressure on this possible sale.

[quote name='TheRev' post='748387' date='Feb 17 2010, 02:21 PM']I'd buy it and just replace the black guard with a red tortie one.[/quote]

:rolleyes: By no word of a lie, I found myself wondering what a red plate would look like on it. As far as home-brewed paintwork is concerned, it it looks to be a half decent job. It might be ok as is.

[quote name='bh2' post='748511' date='Feb 17 2010, 03:47 PM']God I miss that ray.[/quote]

Seems to be a mantra, that.

Edited by implo