Why become a member? ×

76 Stingray dilemma

implo

[quote name='henry norton' post='748188' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:08 PM']Yeah that's a fair point but it's a buyers market at the moment so prices should be pretty good. I know some people swear by old MusicMan basses - I've owned a pre EB Stingray - and it certainly had some quality issues you wouldn't find on any Ernie Ball Ray, so it's always going to be a bit of a gamble buying an older version. That said, if you want it RIGHT NOW and are prepared to do some work on it who am I to tell you otherwise? Good luck with it.[/quote]

Oh prices are good by norwegian standards. You didn't see EBs turning up below 10000NOK in 2008, but now prices are edging closer to 80k.

If I could ask for a little more of your time, I wondered if you could expand on what issues I can possibly expect?

Thanks for your help, Henry, it's much appreciated, and certainly the reason I'm here is to make sure people [i]do[/i] tell me otherwise...

[quote name='implo' post='748608' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:17 PM']Oh prices are good by norwegian standards. You didn't see EBs turning up below 10000NOK in 2008, but now prices are edging closer to 80k.

If I could ask for a little more of your time, I wondered if you could expand on what issues I can possibly expect?

Thanks for your help, Henry, it's much appreciated, and certainly the reason I'm here is to make sure people [i]do[/i] tell me otherwise...[/quote]
My particular pre EB had a cracking problem with the lacquer and a neck that was difficult to adjust (apparently some 70's Rays had flat truss rods). That said, it sounded and played very well indeed. I traded it in for one of the first Stingray 5's, which sounded really good too and just expanded on the sound of the original. I personally don't thing the early Rays sound 'better' - it's very subjective and whatever Stingray you play, it'll still sound like a Stingray, the differences are relatively subtle.

All bass players should own at least one Stingray in their lifetime - it's a bit like a rite of passage.

IF:

1) The price is right
2) The bass is in good conditions. Both structurally and electronically, preamp working? all pots working?
3) How does it play through an amp
4) Is the neck straight and I mean not warped so that it looks like an elliptical dna chain?

If all of the above are a pass then sod the colour and get it, looks like a good'n from here with plenty mojo. take the body to a luthier and have it stripped repainted in whatever you like.

A new twist in the tale - got the serial - B006585 - and it transpires this is not a '76 at all, in fact it looks to be a '78. At least if [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0011.htm"]this[/url] site is anything to go by, and, as it's the site The Balls themselves use/refer to, I'm guessing it's dependable.

Would explain why the fretboard is in better condition than expected. I'm wondering if the shop-peeps were told it was a 76 and didn't bother checking, or knew but didn't think anyone else would check. Never underestimate a pedant. Either way, not quite the same temptation as much of the appeal was the rocking horse sh*t aspect.

[quote name='bass5' post='748940' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:02 PM']IF:

1) The price is right
2) The bass is in good conditions. Both structurally and electronically, preamp working? all pots working?
3) How does it play through an amp
4) Is the neck straight and I mean not warped so that it looks like an elliptical dna chain?

If all of the above are a pass then sod the colour and get it, looks like a good'n from here with plenty mojo. take the body to a luthier and have it stripped repainted in whatever you like.[/quote]

Not able to play it, but am assured it's in good order. The luthier tip is definitely worth considering.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='748982' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:31 PM']nice instrument, its year will be a talking point for sure. Whats the serial? MM started the serials at 1000 BTW...[/quote]

B006585 (see previous post)

[quote name='RhysP' post='749030' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:15 PM']If it was me buying it there's no way I'd give it a wax or oil finish - that would definitely f*** up the resale value.

Have it refinished in a way that is in keeping with the year of the instrument, be it a natural or colour finish.[/quote]

Good point, well made.

[quote name='Les' post='749433' date='Feb 18 2010, 12:15 PM']Walk away Implo.

As much as I hate to rain on your parade, there are too many if's, but's, and maybe's with this bass, and too many if's, but's, and maybe's in your head. :)[/quote]

I think you may be right there, sir.