Why become a member? ×

Just bought an Ampeg micro cab

Jamesemt

In my constant down sizing/weight reduction I bought a Genz Shuttle 3 10 combo. Quite loud but not quite loud enough (and really toppy). Decided to buy a small 2x10 cab to release the full 300 watts.

The Ampeg is the smallest, lightest, cheapest, quality cab I could find, and so far it's great. 26lb (two finger lift :) )and adds loads of punch to the Shuttle with a really distinctive scooped low end. I've never played through a proper fridge, but I'm presuming this hints at what they sound like.

Can't go wrong for £250 and it looks great!!

It's here if anyone is interested:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ampeg-SVT210AV~id~8876.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...0AV~id~8876.asp[/url]

They have finally reached their right price. Nearly bought that cab and the head that goes with it last year, before the price drop. I ended up getting something of similar size and use in the TecAmp bonanza of last autumn...
I'll be curious to know what they sound like at full blast, especially in the lower range.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='740751' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:51 AM']In my constant down sizing/weight reduction I bought a Genz Shuttle 3 10 combo. Quite loud but not quite loud enough (and really toppy). Decided to buy a small 2x10 cab to release the full 300 watts.

The Ampeg is the smallest, lightest, cheapest, quality cab I could find, and so far it's great. 26lb (two finger lift :) )and adds loads of punch to the Shuttle with a really distinctive scooped low end. I've never played through a proper fridge, but I'm presuming this hints at what they sound like.

Can't go wrong for £250 and it looks great!!

It's here if anyone is interested:

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ampeg-SVT210AV~id~8876.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...0AV~id~8876.asp[/url][/quote]

Good to hear you're liking it, I've been looking at one to go with my Little Bastard (if they ever make 'em, another story!)
Don't suppose you've tried it against a decent 1x12?

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='740751' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:51 AM']SNIP....... Decided to buy a small 2x10 cab to release the full 300 watts.[/quote]

On the link you put up, it says the power hadling is 200w. Would that be a problem if you are trying to 'release 300 watts'?

If it is ok to do this, I might follow suit.

[quote name='uzzell' post='741295' date='Feb 10 2010, 06:41 PM']On the link you put up, it says the power hadling is 200w. Would that be a problem if you are trying to 'release 300 watts'?

If it is ok to do this, I might follow suit.[/quote]

The impression i have had from topics on here before is that it's ok to have a head with more wattage than your cabs, as long as you're sensible and make sure any distortion is from the amp/pedals and not the speakers themselves! :)

[quote name='uzzell' post='741295' date='Feb 10 2010, 06:41 PM']On the link you put up, it says the power hadling is 200w. Would that be a problem if you are trying to 'release 300 watts'?

If it is ok to do this, I might follow suit.[/quote]

I'm running 300 watts with BOTH cabs...

Hiya James
Glad you're liking the cab. I've got the matching head and have to say that, despite some pretty negative things I'd read about it, I love the little thing. Nice tone, small, light, and actually pretty decent to look at also. I was tempted to get the matching cab as they make a great pair to look at (as a pair they remind me of the valve radiogram my gran gave me in about 1970), and I'd really like to have a decent sounding and looking rig I can leave in the living room at home. There's a rather negative review somewhere - probably Harmony Central - where the guy complains of poor quality sound at high dbs and then a blown speaker. No doubt this was an isolated incident but it would be useful to hear how yours handles a decent level of volume?
Cheers mate
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='742109' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:10 PM']Hiya James
Glad you're liking the cab. I've got the matching head and have to say that, despite some pretty negative things I'd read about it, I love the little thing. Nice tone, small, light, and actually pretty decent to look at also. I was tempted to get the matching cab as they make a great pair to look at (as a pair they remind me of the valve radiogram my gran gave me in about 1970), and I'd really like to have a decent sounding and looking rig I can leave in the living room at home. There's a rather negative review somewhere - probably Harmony Central - where the guy complains of poor quality sound at high dbs and then a blown speaker. No doubt this was an isolated incident but it would be useful to hear how yours handles a decent level of volume?
Cheers mate
Chris[/quote]

I'll let you know after tomorrow night as Ive got a pub gig...

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='741338' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:20 PM']But if the cabs are running in parallel, does that not mean that they are both receiving 300 watts?[/quote]

No. If the amp is delivering a total of 300W, and there are two cabs of equal impedance, then they will share the total output power...