Why become a member? ×

A Couple of Soundclips - Which sounds the nicest?

Linus27

Came home and had this urge to record some sound clips of my various basses. Played the first thing that came into my head so its bit rough. Its played through my Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with the EQ flat and direct onto my minidisc recorder. Also played with fingers. Kind of surprised at the different tones so maybe others might like to have a listen.

The first is my 2009 passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash with both pickups on and tone on full.

[attachment=41830:Warwick_..._Pickups.mp3]

Next is my 2009 passive Warwick Corvette Standard in Ash with the neck pickup rolled half off and tone on full.

[attachment=41831:Warwick_...kup_Off_.mp3]

Next is my Musicman Stingray 3EQ with all EQ on the bass flat.

[attachment=41832:Musicman...3EQ_Flat.mp3]

Next is my MIA Fender Jazz 75 Re-issue with both pickups on and tone on full.

[attachment=41833:Fender_J..._Pickups.mp3]

Next is my MIA Fender Jazz 75 Re-issue with the neck pickup rolled half off and tone on full.

[attachment=41834:Fender_J...kup_Off_.mp3]

Next is my ESP 400 Series Jazz which has Bartolini Pickups with both pickups on and tone on full.

[attachment=41835:ESP_Jazz..._Pickups.mp3]

Next is my ESP 400 Series Jazz which has Bartolini Pickups with the neck pickup rolled half off and tone on full.

[attachment=41836:ESP_Jazz...alf_Off_.mp3]

Ped has very kindly made this a poll so please vote for which one you like the most.

Enjoy :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='735518' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:15 PM']Really?? I thought that sounded the least impresive :)[/quote]

+1

I liked the warwick with both pickups and the ESP with both pickups the most.

edit: the ESP - sounds a bit beefier than the Warwick to my ears, so I'd vote ESP. Fender tone didn't seem very even across the strings, and the Stingray not really doing it for me tone wise.

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Gwilym' post='735539' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:41 PM']+1

I liked the warwick with both pickups and the ESP with both pickups the most.

edit: the ESP - sounds a bit beefier than the Warwick to my ears, so I'd vote ESP. Fender tone didn't seem very even across the strings, and the Stingray not really doing it for me tone wise.[/quote]

Thats cool. I love the ESP tone but the Warwick is also very cool. Probably more aggresive sounding but still nice.

[quote name='Linus27' post='735518' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:15 PM']Really?? I thought that sounded the least impresive :)[/quote]
+1. Also this might be just me but are the warwick strings like new and fender strings quite old?The fender just seemed to lack the new string tone sound,if you know what i mean.

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='Linus27' post='735546' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:50 PM']HEHE no worries. I think the Fender sounds nice and quite vintage.[/quote]

Really nice selection of tones you have there. Your clips give a really good comparison between the four basses. And it's good that you played the same part for each clip.

I think my least favourite is the Warwick, but that's just me. I need to spend more time with a Warwick, the only one I've played belongs to a friend and he's never changed the strings on it.

[quote name='ped' post='735561' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:02 PM']What's the recording setup?[/quote]

[quote name='Linus27' post='735420' date='Feb 4 2010, 07:25 PM']Its played through my Genz Benz Shuttle 6 with the EQ flat and direct onto my minidisc recorder.[/quote]

Come on Ped, keep up! :)

[quote name='mikhay77' post='735549' date='Feb 4 2010, 09:54 PM']+1. Also this might be just me but are the warwick strings like new and fender strings quite old?The fender just seemed to lack the new string tone sound,if you know what i mean.[/quote]

HEHE your good, very good :) The Warwick strings are very new. I only got the bass on Saturday and I would say it has had around 2 hours total playing time. The Fender strings are not that old but have done a two hour gig last Saturday, plus a whole bunch of rehearsals plus tons and tons of practise at home.

[quote name='ped' post='735561' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:02 PM']My fave - ESP 400 Series Jazz which has Bartolini Pickups with both pickups on and tone on full. really nice sound. Would like to hear more! Perhaps give it a bit of slap and tickle?

What's the recording setup?

ped[/quote]

No worries Ped. Will do some more recording for you at some point although I don't really know how to slap :) The ESP really is a wonderful sounding bass. Some say its my nicest sounding bass.

As for recording, bass into Shuttle 6 head. Then line out of the headphone socket on Shuttle 6 direct into my minidisc recorder. Then converted from minidisc into mp3 on PC using Creative Soundlab.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='735562' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:04 PM']Really nice selection of tones you have there. Your clips give a really good comparison between the four basses. And it's good that you played the same part for each clip.

I think my least favourite is the Warwick, but that's just me. I need to spend more time with a Warwick, the only one I've played belongs to a friend and he's never changed the strings on it.[/quote]

HEHE the bass part came into my head as soon as I walked through the door after work. No idea where it came from but I though it would be a good excuse to use to record the different basses.

I'm actually really impressed with the Warwick. Its my first ever Warwick and I love the tone. No idea what its like live though :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='735582' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:17 PM']Nice array of basses for comparison.

If I have to give a preference, ESP last one though with the front pick up half off.[/quote]

Thanks, its seems like the ESP is quite liked. I should had done this as a poll to see what people liked the most :)

Hi Linus, it's the Warwick for me with both pickups on full. It has the best tone and a lovely growl to it. Very Status like, which is why I suppose I like it :)

Try recording the Stingray again with clean strings and some bass boost and a touch of treble boost - You'll hear a massive difference.

All of the clips sound quite "clacky" - Were you playing with a plectrum or something?

Rich.

Hi Michael.

My vote went to the ESP with both pups as i prefer that tone but i really do like the Warwick as well. In fact i like the Warwick better BUT the ESP would be my choice as i think it would fit in with what i play.

I think that sounds a bit backward but i know what i mean.

[quote name='ped' post='735568' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:07 PM']lulz

Long day mate...[/quote]

Hi Ped,

I think your poll is faulty. The two Warwick selections are the same. Or is it me.

-------------
Opinion - I like the Warwick with both pickups full. ESP surprisingly good - slightly drier than the Warwick full, but very close. Fender full is plummier. MM higher output and more mids than the others.

Balcro

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='735610' date='Feb 4 2010, 10:48 PM']Hi Linus, it's the Warwick for me with both pickups on full. It has the best tone and a lovely growl to it. Very Status like, which is why I suppose I like it :)

Try recording the Stingray again with clean strings and some bass boost and a touch of treble boost - You'll hear a massive difference.

All of the clips sound quite "clacky" - Were you playing with a plectrum or something?

Rich.[/quote]

Hi Rich, I will give that a go. I would be interested to hear how it sounds.

I was also playing with my fingers. I do tend to dig in a bit hard and its a habit I am trying to fix. I played with a plectrum for 20 years, playing fairly heavy driving guitar music and so used to play with a lot of energy and drive. I tend to do the same with my fingers and I am teaching myself to play softer and turn the amp up instead.