Why become a member? ×

A Couple of Soundclips - Which sounds the nicest?

Linus27

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='735631' date='Feb 4 2010, 11:10 PM']Hi Michael.

My vote went to the ESP with both pups as i prefer that tone but i really do like the Warwick as well. In fact i like the Warwick better BUT the ESP would be my choice as i think it would fit in with what i play.

I think that sounds a bit backward but i know what i mean.[/quote]

HEHE I knew you would like the Warwick :)

[quote name='Balcro' post='735657' date='Feb 4 2010, 11:38 PM']Opinion - I like the Warwick with both pickups full. ESP surprisingly good - slightly drier than the Warwick full, but very close. Fender full is plummier. MM higher output and more mids than the others.

Balcro[/quote]

What a perfect way to describe the sounds. Totally connected with that especially the Fender being plummier. :)

Warwick sounds more lively...nice tone but I think it comes alive more due to strings.

Fender sounds different to what I expected...perhaps strings, not sure, but bridge pickup emphasis best.

Stingray sounds like it has flats on...no that that's bad at all, just more muted than I'm used to. Rays to me normally just sound hugely aggressive all the time. Light touch, huge response.

ESP sounds great...a hidden treasure!

Thanks for making them...I like the Warwick more than I expected :)

Edited by Musicman20

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to record and post the clips Michael. My preference is for the ESP, but here's the thing - I agree with others that the MM sounds least impressive in this context, however, having recently started using a Stingray I have found that in the mix of a band the tone is wonderfull, probably because of the midrange hump. The problem often seems to be HiFi sounding bass EQ's are great when recorded but very difficult to hear when played with other instruments especially live, this has been my experience anyway. Which is your favourite live bass Michael?

Edited by MartyBRebelMC

[quote name='Musicman20' post='735970' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:36 AM']Warwick sounds more lively...nice tone but I think it comes alive more due to strings.

Fender sounds different to what I expected...perhaps strings, not sure, but bridge pickup emphasis best.

Stingray sounds like it has flats on...no that that's bad at all, just more muted than I'm used to. Rays to me normally just sound hugely aggressive all the time. Light touch, huge response.

ESP sounds great...a hidden treasure!

Thanks for making them...I like the Warwick more than I expected :)[/quote]

The Stingray is a worry for me and my biggest frustration. I have never been able to get a sound I like from the Stingray despite it being my dream bass when I started playing. The recording is with the EQ flat and the bass is strung with rounds, Elite Stadiums. Infact, all the basses apart from the Warwick have Elite Stadiums rounds on.

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='735973' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:38 AM']Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to record and post the clips Michael. My preference is for the ESP, but here's the thing - I agree with others that the MM sounds least impressive in this context, however, having recently started using a Stingray I have found that in the mix of a band the tone is wonderfull, probably because of the midrange hump. The problem often seems to be HiFi sounding bass EQ's are great when recorded but very difficult to hear when played with other instruments especially live, this has been my experience anyway. Which is your favourite live bass Michael?[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. My favourite is probably the ESP or Warwick. I think both sound similar but as described ealier, the ESP is a bit drier. The ESP is actually a very rare bass. Its from 1989 and only cost £350. However, its a copy of a 1962 Fender and has exactly the same headstock as a Fender which was only for the Asian and European market. The US models of bass had a different headstock. In fact I have never seen another ESP bass with my headstock. Rumour has it that ESP at the time were making basses for Fender so it's quite possibly a bass that could had been labeled up as an ESP or Fender. The neck is super thin. I've never played a bass with a neck this thin. Its a wonderful bass that has served me very well on tour and recording.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='735977' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:40 AM']Yeah, its a great tone.

I would be very interested in any pick playing examples you can do. Ive given up on trying to play finger style.[/quote]

No worries Dave, I'll try and do some recording over the weekend with a pick. I will also do the Stingray with Rich's suggestions he posted earlier.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='736014' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:00 PM']No worries Dave, I'll try and do some recording over the weekedn with a pick. I will also do the Stingray with Rich's suggested he posted earlier.[/quote]

look forward to them, thanks for taking the time and trouble. Other than the SR4 i think the other basses would all sound pretty similar in a band situation so i think for me it would come down to feel and playability.

How does the Warwick neck feel compared to the Fender?

Hmmm, have you never been 100% with the tone of the Ray?

I have my EQ on the Ray flat, sometimes with a slight treb/bass boost, but they both punch like crazy. Seriously aggressive tone which is the main reason, (and the oval plate) why I wanted one about 12 years ago.

Is the ESP active? I'm guessing it's not.

Boil the ray strings in water/washing up liquid for 5 mins, rinse thoroughly, then see if that helps?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='736023' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:04 PM']look forward to them, thanks for taking the time and trouble. Other than the SR4 i think the other basses would all sound pretty similar in a band situation so i think for me it would come down to feel and playability.

How does the Warwick neck feel compared to the Fender?[/quote]

I sense Warwick GAS!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='736033' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:08 PM']I sense Warwick GAS![/quote]

LOL, no. Ive already gone through this with Michael. I really dont like the look of them. Ive had a few opportunities in the past (i was offered two via PM's for my DJ5 last month) but the look has always put me off.

If anything maybe Jazz GAS ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='736023' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:04 PM']look forward to them, thanks for taking the time and trouble. Other than the SR4 i think the other basses would all sound pretty similar in a band situation so i think for me it would come down to feel and playability.

How does the Warwick neck feel compared to the Fender?[/quote]

The Warwick neck feels different to the Fender. Its a little slimmer and flatter. Its also not varnished but very smooth. Oh course, you will find out when you play them all :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='736029' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:07 PM']Hmmm, have you never been 100% with the tone of the Ray?

I have my EQ on the Ray flat, sometimes with a slight treb/bass boost, but they both punch like crazy. Seriously aggressive tone which is the main reason, (and the oval plate) why I wanted one about 12 years ago.

Is the ESP active? I'm guessing it's not.

Boil the ray strings in water/washing up liquid for 5 mins, rinse thoroughly, then see if that helps?[/quote]

Nope, never ever been happy with the Stingray tone. Has always sounded thin, weedy, clanky or boomy and muffled. If I turn the treble up to combat the boomyness it goes all clanky. I also hate mids which probably is a dissadvantage to liking the Stingray :) Its never ever sounded full and fat and in your face. Really frustrating as looks and feel its my favourite bass, it just sounds naff in my hands :rolleyes::)

I'd like to hear the same comparison with the neck pups on full, no bridge pup and the tone rolled right off, playing finger style over the 15th fret and with the MM on full bass boost with no mid or treble.

I understand if you don't want to do that coz it's not your style, but no one ever demos basses with a reggae tone (probably coz no one is interested except me) :) .

Oh - and would it be too much trouble to change all the strings for well used flatwounds ? :rolleyes:

[quote name='redstriper' post='736091' date='Feb 5 2010, 12:53 PM']I'd like to hear the same comparison with the neck pups on full, no bridge pup and the tone rolled right off, playing finger style over the 15th fret and with the MM on full bass boost with no mid or treble.

I understand if you don't want to do that coz it's not your style, but no one ever demos basses with a reggae tone (probably coz no one is interested except me) :) .

Oh - and would it be too much trouble to change all the strings for well used flatwounds ? :rolleyes:[/quote]

If I get chance, I am more than happy to do that. Not sure about the string changes though but the rest I can do :lol:

[quote name='Linus27' post='736179' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:51 PM']If I get chance, I am more than happy to do that. Not sure about the string changes though but the rest I can do :)[/quote]

You are a gentleman sir.

BTW - I love the tone of your Warwick.
There's a well used passive ash corvette in my local shop for £550 which is a joy to play and sounds great but I can't justify the price.
My Tanglewwod Warrior (Corvette copy) is also very nice to play, not such great tone but it was a lot cheaper.

Oh, if you get time maybe you could have a look at my thread about jazz pup tone [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76104&pid=736489&st=0&#entry736489"]here[/url].
All opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='736202' date='Feb 5 2010, 02:13 PM']Gotta say the bassline is pretty sweet! Nice n musical. :)

I'm also going to finger style more now...not got upto my pick speed yet, but I'm getting there.

I realised after listening the Warwick sounds best![/quote]

Hey, thanks very much. The bass line was something that just popped into my head but its the normal type of bass line I write.

[quote name='redstriper' post='736503' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:20 PM']You are a gentleman sir.

BTW - I love the tone of your Warwick.
There's a well used passive ash corvette in my local shop for £550 which is a joy to play and sounds great but I can't justify the price.
My Tanglewwod Warrior (Corvette copy) is also very nice to play, not such great tone but it was a lot cheaper.

Oh, if you get time maybe you could have a look at my thread about jazz pup tone [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76104&pid=736489&st=0&#entry736489"]here[/url].
All opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.[/quote]

You are welcome. By the way, thats way expensive for that Corvette. Brand new mine cost me £580 so well used at £550 is way over priced. They usually go for about £300 - £350 second hand on here and thats usually in good condition.

[quote name='Linus27' post='736644' date='Feb 5 2010, 08:40 PM']. Brand new mine cost me £580 so well used at £550 is way over priced. They usually go for about £300 - £350 second hand on here and thats usually in good condition.[/quote]

:) I thought it would cost over £1000 (ok, ive not looked in to it). Hmmm, maybe this is something i need to investigate now lol.