Why become a member? ×

Shielding paint.

gary mac

[quote name='gary mac' post='734947' date='Feb 4 2010, 12:31 PM']It's about time that I got around to shielding all the cavities on mine and my daughters VMJ basses.

Can anyone recommend a product and supplier.

I'm thinking of a brush applied product, rather than foil.

Thanks in advance.

Gary.[/quote]

I used conductive silver paint, sold by Maplin (you can order online) to screen the electronics cavity on a cheap Stagg fretless I was upgrading. I seem to remember it cost about £7 for a small pot, which was just enough to screen 1 bass. I used foil too, to line the inside of the plastic electronics cover on the back of the bass. This combination works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='735008' date='Feb 4 2010, 01:26 PM']I used conductive silver paint, sold by Maplin (you can order online) to screen the electronics cavity on a cheap Stagg fretless I was upgrading. I seem to remember it cost about £7 for a small pot, which was just enough to screen 1 bass. I used foil too, to line the inside of the plastic electronics cover on the back of the bass. This combination works perfectly.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

This stuff... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370261873585&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

is cheap, quicker to apply than layers of conductive paint, easily soldered, and very effective...

[quote name='gabson' post='737811' date='Feb 7 2010, 02:13 AM']spray mount some kitchen foil into the cavity for the cheapest option![/quote]

Problem is that aluminium is only half as conductive as copper, tends to tear, and is a pig to solder to.
I would say go with the copper foil, and try to get the stuff with the conductive adhesive.