Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warwick Signature Models

Pete Academy

I didn't realise that demand for Warwick's was so high. In my mind there's the cost associated with workmanship (e.g. time, materials, style of the product, etc) alone, and the added cost associated with trying to balance supply and demand (e.g. enough people want your goods so you charge more to balance this out/take advantage of it). I realise it is hard to separate the two factors, but if you can get something of equivalent workmanship for less money, unless you're bothered by the name, then I'd go elsewhere.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='731861' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:05 PM']These are in the Ritter price range, and at least I can see the work put into Ritters.[/quote]

It's not really relevant though is it? Either you like a bass enough to pay for it or you don't. Personally I don't like the look of Ritters so I don't understand their high prices, but obviously there are people out there who think they're worth the money and are happy to pay it.

Same with the Warwicks no doubt.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='731884' date='Feb 1 2010, 04:28 PM']I would pay a lot more money for a Ritter over a warwick, but that's mainly because I see the Ritters as a work of Art and would never take them to a gig at my local. And I probbaly would wash my hands with alcohol before I touched it just afraid of damaging it.[/quote]

Just been discussing this. Ritters are definitely more a work of art. Personally, I love them.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='731961' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:40 PM']Just been discussing this. Ritters are definitely more a work of art. Personally, I love them.[/quote]

However one man's 'work of art' is another man's 'pretentious fussiness'... and that could be said of Ritter, Warwick OR Alembic! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='731964' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:43 PM']However one man's 'work of art' is another man's 'pretentious fussiness'... and that could be said of Ritter, Warwick OR Alembic! :rolleyes:[/quote]

+1
I think all of the above are awful looking, but i´m sure they are all great to play. :)
In terms of the Warwick Signature issue, I reckon that as long as the craftsmanship is of the highest quality, the price is somewhat justified.
Signature models are usually pretty decent, hence someone lending their names to them and I´ll bet that Warwicks are no exception.
As I sadi before, i personally do not like the look of Warwick basses, but their reputation for quality can´t really be argued with.
Though I will say that most manufaturers should consider rechecking their prices, as many people are no longer in a position to spend as much on gear as they might have done previously.

[quote name='Marvin' post='732074' date='Feb 1 2010, 07:09 PM']They look like the sort of thing a Premiership Footballer would have hung on the wall of his Cheshire mansion. :)[/quote]
Nah, that's all cheap sh*t from Spain :rolleyes:

Have you seen the Ritter Roya? Reminds me of my granddad's armchair, that one.

My original post was questioning how manufacturers factor their pricing. I can understand, say, a hand-built bass from the USA having import duty etc. But looking at the Warwick Bootsy and the build options and features, it doesn't seem to add up.

The reason I mentioned Ritter was that at least there seems to be an element of painstaking detail.

Am I missing something? Almost five and a half grand?

Edited by Pete Academy

Think about it from Warwick's perspective.
They have a good and well respected brand of well built german basses.
Then late 90's a load of nu-metal guys start using their stuff. This is good, to capatalise they start making stuff at cheaper price marks. Bolt on necks and the like.
Costs need to be cut so different woods, different neck shapes and so on.
The brand looses some of its reputation.
Nu-metal dies, ebay flooded by cheap bolt on corvettes. Prices secondhand plumit.
therefore sales of new stuff slow.
Does brand now fit key demographic of buyers? No, they are seen as 'good for metal' and have lost the 'good german quality' marque.

So what do you do? Make the necks smaller again, and put your prices up. Make them seem more 'exclusive', like the higher end makes.

Relaunch rockbass as slightly more expensive than it was, made in far east but no longer compeating right at the bottom of the market, but higher up. People will start on a squire and a rockbass will be the aspired upgrade. the german Warwick's... then are the holy grail.
The signature models, again have to be more expensive otherwise you devalue the brand in people's mind.
The actual cost of production is irrespective, do you really think the price of a USA Fender has much to do with how much it costs to churn them off the production line?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='732131' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:01 PM']look in the 'bass' forum, there's a warwick thread and you can see how people are wanting a "Made in Germany" bass someday in the future.

I bet warwickhunt is waiting for the day when the desired models will say "made in West Germany"![/quote]

I only have TWO Warwick basses left :) so it matters little to me... but I know where you are coming from! :rolleyes: