Why become a member? ×

Fender Bassman 100 & Orig 4x12

basshead56

Hi,
Just seen a nice set up over here.
Bassman 100 and silverface 4x12
I have a VBA 400 and 4x12 so sorted for valves and power really,
just wanted to know if I take a punt, what would be a fair price for a fully functional setup with no real scuffs or tears?
I saw on another thread someone found one at less than 500quid? Or was I dreaming?
I have no idea about these amps, other than the fact that the stock speakers are apparently awful and will need replacing and that the 100 became the 135 around 79 or so.
Any and all help appreciated lads,
Cheers,
Col

:)

I had a 135 head many moons ago. Was n't great as I remember,or very loud either.
Maybe it was just a bad one?
The stock Fender speakers of that era barely were up to the job-
factory upgrades available were usually JBL's (maybe EV's later too?) which were far better but heavier.

Bassman heads are starting to rise in value, so if you can get one in good order at a good price then may be an investment.
The cabs are n't that sought after,but do match up nicely for a classic look.

I managed to put together this rig in the autumn,

bought the 100 head on this forum for 325 i think and got the cab off glasgow gumtree for 125. The amp is in great condition but the cab needs the filler in the baffle replaced but thats an easy job plus i had to tighten the grill cloth but that was a doddle too.

I would suggest buying separately as they do seem to go for more as a pair.

Good luck in your search.

[quote name='basshead56' post='729516' date='Jan 30 2010, 06:04 AM']Hi,
[u]Bassman 100 and silverface 4x12[/u]
just wanted to know if I take a punt, what would be a fair price for a fully functional setup with no real scuffs or tears?
I saw on another thread someone found one at less than 500quid? Or was I dreaming?
I have no idea about these amps, other than the fact that the stock speakers are apparently awful and will need replacing and that the 100 became the 135 around 79 or so.
Cheers,
Col

:)[/quote]

Hi basshead56.

Is that cab the infamous 'cross-fire' 4x12" (each driver mounted on its own angled baffle)?

If so, I had one (along with its Bassman 100 head) a long time ago.

Its speakers appeared to be the same units which were used in the Fender Twin Reverb and the cab was a poorly made particle board POS which buzzed like a beehive when the rig was played 'loud' (it was gutless for its size).

Mind you, the one I had (which I bought back when I knew nothing about amps) was pretty beat up.

Edited by MIJ-VI

[quote name='basshead56' post='729516' date='Jan 30 2010, 11:04 AM']Hi,
Bassman 100 and silverface 4x12
Cheers,
Col

:)[/quote]

I have a Fender bassman 135, circa 1978.

People normally say they are too clean for lead guitar but too quiet for Bass.
I have used this head at rehearsals and some quite large pub gigs and it stands up well in a 5 piece, with two guitars and a full drum kit, no problem at all. I play it through a Mesa Boogie powerhouse 4x10.

The tone is fantastic, we play anything from Elvis Costello to Elbow and the Beatles to Blink 182.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='732090' date='Feb 1 2010, 07:23 PM']I have a Fender bassman 135, circa 1978.

People normally say they are too clean for lead guitar but too quiet for Bass.
I have used this head at rehearsals and some quite large pub gigs and it stands up well in a 5 piece, with two guitars and a full drum kit, no problem at all.[/quote]

My head is 1978 too & I have to agree it's plenty loud enough. These really vary in price depending on condition. I use mine through an Ampeg SVT 115E