Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

rubber strings?!

Tait

[quote name='lwtait' post='80169' date='Oct 27 2007, 04:56 PM'][url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/guild-dearmond_ashbory.htm"]"unusual bass with rubber strings, sounds like a double bass"[/url]

hmmm... how does this work then? wheres the pickup?[/quote]

'Tis a piezo bridge, hence is not reliant on magnetic strings.
It's fretless.
22" Scale.
Apparently you dust the strings with talcum powder...

[quote name='grosa' post='80191' date='Oct 27 2007, 06:06 PM']who did the same thing with an optical pickup?
odd thing that[/quote]

Lightwave

You can buy a Lightwave bass, buy a bass with a Lightwave pickup (Zon, Conklin possibly more) or specify it as an option on a Sei.

You can blend the lightwave with the piezo. A friend of mine has a Sei with it on. Work of art.

The Ashbory has been around in various forms since the 80's. They have a really nice bassy sound but intonation is IMHO difficult (I played an unlined fretless for 10 years BTW). I dont think you can play on the lines but in between.

I played one at the weekend and really struggled. I then played a NS WAV and felt much more at home. YMMV

I did my first recording with my Ashbory a couple of days ago. I was going to use my NS upright, but my six year old was having so much fun with his lego train track all over the floor that I tried the Ashbory instead. I wasn't expecting it to come out very well as I haven't had the Ashbory long and the intonation can a bit fiddly as Alun says, but I was very pleased with how it came out the tone worked perfectly for the song.

If this upload thing works here's how it sounds - This song is called "the Runner" and will probably be the last track on the new album by Obviously 5 Believers, This is a slightly rough mix that hasn't been mastered.

[attachment=3133:THE_RUNNER.mp3]

I had an Ashbory for a while, as mentioned good fun, decent tone but don't try and bend notes as you would on a normal bass... the string rolls rather than bends. Vibrato has to be back and forwards not side to side and yes (unscented) talc is the lubricant of choice. Cue smutty jokes about rubber and lubrication!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='80361' date='Oct 28 2007, 10:54 AM']I had an Ashbory for a while, as mentioned good fun, decent tone but don't try and bend notes as you would on a normal bass... the string rolls rather than bends. Vibrato has to be back and forwards not side to side and yes (unscented) talc is the lubricant of choice. Cue smutty jokes about rubber and lubrication![/quote]
Scented talc contains oils which can corrode the silicone rubber strings.There', so I use something called sliderite that came with my ashbory (the ashbory site largesound.com supply it) - its meant as a billiards lubricant (not sure what needs lubricating and where it goes in billiards) its a little cloth bag filled with unscented talc. Not as messy as johnson's talc but after playing it still looks like you've had Pete Docherty round.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='80268' date='Oct 27 2007, 10:27 PM']I did my first recording with my Ashbory a couple of days ago. I was going to use my NS upright, but my six year old was having so much fun with his lego train track all over the floor that I tried the Ashbory instead. I wasn't expecting it to come out very well as I haven't had the Ashbory long and the intonation can a bit fiddly as Alun says, but I was very pleased with how it came out the tone worked perfectly for the song.

If this upload thing works here's how it sounds - This song is called "the Runner" and will probably be the last track on the new album by Obviously 5 Believers, This is a slightly rough mix that hasn't been mastered.

[attachment=3133:THE_RUNNER.mp3][/quote]

hmm well that made a bit of a change from hatebreed which i was listening to before my curiosity took over and made me listen to this. It's ok, not really my type of music tho (as you may have guessed). Oh and lego trains are huge fun :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Alun' post='80412' date='Oct 28 2007, 01:14 PM']Ah yes, the look on people's faces when you pull a pot of white powder from your gig bag :)[/quote]

haha +1 for that,

[url="http://www.limeburner.co.uk/happyness.html"]Heres me playing mine at a gig earlier in the year[/url]

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='103388' date='Dec 12 2007, 04:57 PM']haha it looks like you're playing a little toy guitar :)[/quote]

Yeh, people give you odd 'WTF-that' looks when you get it out the bag, but plugged in it sounds fantastic and they soon shut up.

[quote name='G-77' post='102721' date='Dec 11 2007, 02:40 PM']haha +1 for that,

[url="http://www.limeburner.co.uk/happyness.html"]Heres me playing mine at a gig earlier in the year[/url][/quote]

I gave the Ashbury a bit of abuse at last year's BassBash. G-77 kindly let me put the vid on my MySpace page. Check it out.. ( Unfortunately you can't really hear the li'l fella, as there was a great deal of other bass noises in the room at the time!)