Why become a member? ×

I want a 6er..

Faithless

So, for the moment, I've got my beloved 2004 made Ibby Soundgear Prestige 5er, Custom Bartolini Pups, all that stuff..

It's a really nice bass, slim neck, low action, and it plays like butter..

But, as I'm more and more into transribing (horns, guitars - they're all so damn high! :)) and into enconomy of motion, I felt a need for a C string..

You'd say, ok, change the tuning to E-C and let it go..

I was thinking about, and, I've even got my fretless Ibby strung like that, but it doesn't work like that here,as I need a low B for a lot stuff I'm playing in bands..

I'm likely to sell my Prestige Ibby, or to swap it for a decent 6 string, but, I don't know, if I want to try some other bass, other pickup combination, or I just want a 6-string replica of my beloved old one..

For a ~1000 euros, where should I look at it?

No ideas? There's other option - to stretch for it 'a bit', and- I sell my Ashdown rig, and get additional ~700-800 euros, we get 1700-1800 then..

I'm about to try Jazz pickups, and, [u]what I clearly want[/u], is quite slim neck, low string spacing, rosewood board..

That bass should be an all-around one - versalite, flexible in terms of sound; not too heavy (got some back problems..)

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers
Faith

Edited by Faithless

I picked up a Status Energy 6 string a while back, and it's a great bass for the money. Awesome B string and a really comfortable neck. If I had to criticise it, I guess the preamp is a bit limited in it's abilities, but really, that's being super-critical. These seem to come up every so often for way less than what you're willing to spend, so I'd recommend holding out and seeing if one comes along. Come to think of it, I've seen higher-end Status basses for less than you're willing to spend, so maybe that might be the way to go.

I'm not much into these SR's, somehow..

I might look into Status, but I don't have a single idea, how do they feel and sound..

And it's impossible to try one, as there is none in our Baltic area, I believe..

OTPJ, any chance,they make Status witht Jazz pups?

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='722442' date='Jan 23 2010, 08:52 PM']There's a Hohner B Bass VI if you want close string spacing - I have a V - but in the long term you'll want to change the pickups & electronics.

G.[/quote]

My tutor has a sixer.. Ok sounding, but I want something with Jazz pups..

[quote name='Doddy' post='722457' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:12 PM']What about the Ibanez BTB? They are a bit chunkier than the Soundgears,but are nice instruments.
I've had a 6 for a few years now.[/quote]

I just can't get on with BTB looks..

If I'll go for a 'replica' Ibby, it'll be SR..

[quote name='Faithless' post='722484' date='Jan 23 2010, 07:30 PM']My tutor has a sixer.. Ok sounding, but I want something with Jazz pups..[/quote]

Ah - my 5er has Jazz pups - I didn't realise the 6er was different.

Actually, it'd have to be, as J-style pups for a 6 would need to be custom, I think?

G.

After playing a 6-string for many years I came to this conclusion: buy a guitar.
If you have a 6-string you will spend large parts of your bass playing life reaching over that C-string to get to the bass notes. It's just a major PITA and most of those parts you are transcribing will sound better at pitch than an octave lower on a bass. Then there is the extra weight, neck dive etc. It's just not worth it imho. I get much more fun playing keyboards or guitar. The other problem if you do decide to get a 6-string is that cheap ones are almost always lacking in something (although that Cort looks just like the old Ibanez SR - probably the same bass). Sad to say, but the only really decent 6-strings I've owned or played were a Fodera SC, Ken Smith BSR and an MTD, all well over £2000 retail.

try and get hold of the 6 string ibanez prestige. i've got one and it was my first 6 string... the only 6 string i've ever been able to pick up and play without any additional effort, it just felt like it was made for me. obviously you know how tight the B is etc from your 5 string.

seriously - this bass was my go-to for a long time, even when i knew i wouldn't need the low B / high C, it's just so damn easy to play anyway.

Edited by Tech

[quote name='XB26354' post='722743' date='Jan 24 2010, 02:23 AM']After playing a 6-string for many years I came to this conclusion: buy a guitar.
If you have a 6-string you will spend large parts of your bass playing life reaching over that C-string to get to the bass notes. It's just a major PITA and most of those parts you are transcribing will sound better at pitch than an octave lower on a bass. Then there is the extra weight, neck dive etc. It's just not worth it imho. I get much more fun playing keyboards or guitar.[/quote]

:) Am I missing something here?

Best 6 string I've played is the Musicman Bongo, I loved it. Didn't have any problems reaching the B and it was well balanced.

It's on the list, I'll get one one day.

Doubt if I'd use a 6er as my one-and-only bass as it's a different animal to a 5er, but a very interesting addition to your collection if you have the wherewithal.

If you could save a little more cash i would recomend looking around for a used Ken smith BT6 or BSR6, they are easy to play & have a superb sound, almost a single coil tone but with big balls.
I owned a BT6 black tiger (check my avatar) & only sold it as i had run into financial problems, one day i'll have another ken smith but at the moment i have a wal sixer to pay for but that's another story :)

Edited by littleal

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a Yamaha TRB6II, from a member who has posted on here I might add.
Awesomely crafted, great tone, HUGE body and heavy weight add to this...not for the faint hearted (or spined for that matter, even tho I had a dodgy one).
String spacing is the widest I have felt yet, maybe only outdone by Warwick broad necks.

Im a devout 6er. I dont obsess on the High-C string, it's merely there when needed.
I tap a lot tho, so having extra strings adds to that piano style range wise.

I'll qualify whatever I say next with a quick list of some of my stuff, so you'll know where I'm coming from...

Musicman Stingray V fretless, tuned CGDAE
Vigier Passion V S3 tuned GDAEB
Warwick Streamer LX VI tuned CGDAEB

I have a good idea (I think) where you're coming from.

The Warwick has relatively narrow spacing c.17mm. Yet I find it VERY quick from string to string. That said, I don't really play slap.
Every Ken Smith I've played has been great, but when it came to purchasing one, I couldn't justify the expense, and bought the Warwick instead.

I must admit, when I first began to read the thread, I concurred with Bubinga5;

The SR506.

Cheap, cheerful, and you'll get a feel for a narrower spaced 6 with it.
The Smiths are 35" scale, too, and can be a little "stretching", but you get used to it.
Finding ANY 6 with single-coil Jazz pick-ups may be a bit of a mission!
As for Status, the build quality is excellent. If it's in good condition, it'll be great. Just very "modern" sounding.

All the best, and good luck in your search.
Alex.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1