Why become a member? ×

Markbass head purchase - advice needed.

absolutpepper

Hey

I am looking to purchase a Markbass (or Eden) head. My primary concern is portability and storage which is why i've narrowed my selection down to these maufacturers - they seem to offer the best quality/portability match.

Basically i'm looking for some advice as to models. I really like the Little Mark 250 but i'm concerned it would be powerful enough (other choice being LMII or equivalent Eden), however if it LM 250 will address my needs I dont really fancy having to pay the extra for an LMII if I wont see the benefit.

I am playing a mix of heavy rock/prog with all passive basses (CV Jazz, Ric 4003) in small/mid sized venues (i dont see myself playing arenas any time soon). My band has 2 guitarists who both use Marshall JCM heads at rehearsal and we rarely play places that dont include a proper PA.

Question is, I s'pose, will I get the headroom in the LM 250 to cut through at a loud gig with 2 guitarists or am I better playing more and getting an LMII???

Any advice is appreciated.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='716567' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:38 PM']gues it depends on how loud the ban dis onstage, what PA support you use etc.

And also whether you are using a 4 or 8 ohm cab loading. Personally I would go for the LM2. I have one.[/quote]

+1 for thew LMII. 250w can run out of HR quite quickly with two guit*rists. You can pick them up quite cheaply these days

Chris

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='716617' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:22 PM']There's a very nice EA head in the for sale section, good price too

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73826"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73826[/url]

If that doesn't float your boat then a LMII all the way[/quote]

Im selling a LM250 and CL108 cab in the for sale section

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='716617' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:22 PM']There's a very nice EA head in the for sale section, good price too

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73826"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73826[/url]

If that doesn't float your boat then a LMII all the way[/quote]

Damn, that EA head looks perfect but I wont be buying till April. Grrrrrrrr

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='716539' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:15 PM']Hey

I am looking to purchase a Markbass (or Eden) head. My primary concern is portability and storage which is why i've narrowed my selection down to these maufacturers - they seem to offer the best quality/portability match.

Basically i'm looking for some advice as to models. I really like the Little Mark 250 but i'm concerned it would be powerful enough (other choice being LMII or equivalent Eden), however if it LM 250 will address my needs I dont really fancy having to pay the extra for an LMII if I wont see the benefit.

I am playing a mix of heavy rock/prog with all passive basses (CV Jazz, Ric 4003) in small/mid sized venues (i dont see myself playing arenas any time soon). My band has 2 guitarists who both use Marshall JCM heads at rehearsal and we rarely play places that dont include a proper PA.

Question is, I s'pose, will I get the headroom in the LM 250 to cut through at a loud gig with 2 guitarists or am I better playing more and getting an LMII???

Any advice is appreciated.[/quote]

Til recently I have always used a MarkBass LMK for gigs, but now have a MiniMark Combo that I use for practice at home, and sometimes for Band practices. It's only rated at 150w (unless you add an extension cab, which I haven't done), but I've been amazed to discover how well it delivers against two loud guitarists and full drum kit in rehearsal. And I've got recordings (from a single, stereo mic) of some of our rehearsals to prove it. Admitedly I usually end up with the amp turned up to the 3 o,clock position, but it has never clipped, distorted or otherwise complained!

So I'm figuring that, using a small extension cab to draw the full 250w potential, it would probably cope easily with most club/pub gigging situations. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm that shortly, as I've just done a trade here on BC for an MB New York 604 cab, which I look forward to putting thro it's paces in a live situation soon. Assuming the amp stages of my MiniMark and the 250w head you're contemplating are the same (or similar), I'm guessing that whatever I find out would probably apply equally to the LM250. I'll keep you posted...

Edited by alhbass

[quote name='alhbass' post='726022' date='Jan 27 2010, 08:34 AM']....I've been amazed to discover how well it delivers against two loud guitarists and full drum kit in rehearsal....[/quote]
I suppose this hinges around your definition of "loud". You need to fill the room with bass and in my experience "loud" needs more than 150-250 watts. The 250 was designed for acoustic and other "quiet" type gigs and the next lowest power Markbass do is 500 watts (300 watts into 8 ohm), because you need to have headroom for your tone and you need more power to drive low bass. You can always turn down but if you can't turn up you won't sound very good on a gig.