Why become a member? ×

A small amp for two 112 cabs

Shambo

I've recently dispensed with my (admittedly very nice) Ashdown 410 300w combo because it just wasn't practical. I live in a middle flat at the top of a tiny metal staircase and the size and weight of the thing meant it was a nightmare to move. Halfway down the stairs I've thought this thing is slipping and either gonna break, or more likely break me. Also I can't drive and, well it just wasn't happening. So it's sold...

After perusing the lightweight cabs on offer, I've plumped for a Purple Chilli 112 cab. One should be with me in the next week or so, with the intention of purchasing another one later in the year. Here's the [url="http://www.purple-chili.com/bass-cabs/pcb112nt.htm"]blurb[/url]. It'll handle 300w RMS at 8 ohms. Question is... which lightweight head to power them with?

I've done a little research and have a couple of products in mind, but must admit to being a little ignorant about amps. I thought it might be more interesting to open this question upto the forum, and with your help, hopefully avoid any costly schoolboy mistakes.

I've recently been roped in with a group of MOR jazz noodlers. Not my first choice of music, but then again I'm a bit of a musical magpie. Music across all genres appeals to me, nothing's too broad or highbrow, so in the future I could be playing metal or country and western... who knows. I currently play a nice 2007 american S1 Jazz with no intention of changing anytime soon. At this afternoons rehersal I'll have to play through a 25w Laney practice amp that sounds like an incontinent dog on Boxing Day after being surrepticiously fed the kids brussel sprouts under the christmas table.

I'd like to say money's no object... but I'm not a rich man. If somethings worth it though, things can be saved for.

tl;dr? Your recommendations for a micro amp for two 300W @ 8ohms cabs please.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='Shambo' post='715576' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:14 PM']I've recently dispensed with my (admittedly very nice) Ashdown 410 300w combo because it just wasn't practical. I live in a middle flat at the top of a tiny metal staircase and the size and weight of the thing meant it was a nightmare to move. Halfway down the stairs I've thought this thing is slipping and either gonna break, or more likely break me. Also I can't drive and, well it just wasn't happening. So it's sold...

After perusing the lightweight cabs on offer, I've plumped for a Purple Chilli 112 cab. One should be with me in the next week or so, with the intention of purchasing another one later in the year. Here's the [url="http://www.purple-chili.com/bass-cabs/pcb112nt.htm"]blurb[/url]. It'll handle 300w RMS at 8 ohms. Question is... which lightweight head to power them with?

I've done a little research and have a couple of products in mind, but must admit to being a little ignorant about amps. I thought it might be more interesting to open this question upto the forum, and with your help, hopefully avoid any costly schoolboy mistakes.

I've recently been roped in with a group of MOR jazz noodlers. Not my first choice of music, but then again I'm a bit of a musical magpie. Music across all genres appeals to me, nothing's too broad or highbrow, so in the future I could be playing metal or country and western... who knows. I currently play a nice 2007 american S1 Jazz with no intention of changing anytime soon. At this afternoons rehersal I'll have to play through a 25w Laney practice amp that sounds like an incontinent dog on Boxing Day after being surrepticiously fed the kids brussel sprouts under the christmas table.

I'd like to say money's no object... but I'm not a rich man. If somethings worth it though, things can be saved for.

tl;dr? Your recommendations for a micro amp for two 300W @ 8ohms cabs please.[/quote]
From personal experience I can recommend the Markbass amps and if you can stretch to it the fabulous TC Rebelhead 450.

[quote name='pal1972' post='715605' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:34 PM']what about the EA micro?? nice and light, powerful, small...and did i mention i have one for sale!???[/quote]
I did see your amp for sale. :rolleyes: It seems to have only one speakon output though and I think I'm looking for something with two. :)