Why become a member? ×

New Warwicks...!

bubinga5

seems like the rockbass range are changing back to what they were in the late 90's/early 2000's when they went under the "std" name. they'll sell a lot more now that there's only a "W" on the headstock and no crappy strat type jack input.

[quote name='Mog' post='715588' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:21 PM']seems like the rockbass range are changing back to what they were in the late 90's/early 2000's when they went under the "std" name. they'll sell a lot more now that there's only a "W" on the headstock and no crappy strat type jack input.[/quote]

Those weren't Rockbass basses man, they were genuine German made ovangkol necked Warwicks, and very nice as well :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='715572' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:09 PM']Oh and did you guys know the corvette standards are now part of the "pro series" made in korea? Yep, no more german made corvette standards.[/quote]

I didn't know they're made in Korea, so it's basically a Rockbass but with Ovangkol and Ash/Bubinga now?

Don't quite understand the logic behind that, especially as the new Rockbasses look great

[quote name='budget bassist' post='715572' date='Jan 17 2010, 12:09 PM']Oh and did you guys know the corvette standards are now part of the "pro series" made in korea? Yep, no more german made corvette standards.[/quote]

This is quite a bad move I think by Warwick. A lot of people buy the superb entry level Corvette Standard as its a nice price, is made in Germany and has all the features and hardware of the more expensive Warwicks. Customers know they are getting a proper German made Warwick. Now they are made in Korea, I think Warwick are shooting themselves in the foot by taking away one of the biggest appeals to this bass, not having it made in Germany. It probably makes very little difference in terms of quality at the end of the day but the whole point for people getting their first Warwick is they know its come from that famous German workshop.

Really glad I ordered my Warwick Covette Standard at the end of the year making it a German model. I have waited 21 years for this bass and if it was going to be made in Korea then I would not had bothered.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='717292' date='Jan 18 2010, 10:51 PM']This is quite a bad move I think by Warwick. A lot of people buy the superb entry level Corvette Standard as its a nice price, is made in Germany and has all the features and hardware of the more expensive Warwicks. Customers know they are getting a proper German made Warwick. Now they are made in Korea, I think Warwick are shooting themselves in the foot by taking away one of the biggest appeals to this bass, not having it made in Germany. It probably makes very little difference in terms of quality at the end of the day but the whole point for people getting their first Warwick is they know its come from that famous German workshop.

Really glad I ordered my Warwick Covette Standard at the end of the year making it a German model. I have waited 21 years for this bass and if it was going to be made in Korea then I would not had bothered.[/quote]
+1 to this - the corvette standards were excellent. Perhaps this will push up s/h prices?
That thumb single cut - what is that fugly bit of birdseye maple doing near the fingerboard. Is Warwick trying to fool casual observers into thinking it is a double cutaway? And no cut and cover thru-neck, despite costing £4K! Yuk!!
The best joke of all is £6.3K for that hideous Adam Clayton monstrosity - give me a [s]Spector[/s] sorry Streamer any day of the week...

[quote name='Linus27' post='717292' date='Jan 18 2010, 10:51 PM']This is quite a bad move I think by Warwick. A lot of people buy the superb entry level Corvette Standard as its a nice price, is made in Germany and has all the features and hardware of the more expensive Warwicks. Customers know they are getting a proper German made Warwick. Now they are made in Korea, I think Warwick are shooting themselves in the foot by taking away one of the biggest appeals to this bass, not having it made in Germany. It probably makes very little difference in terms of quality at the end of the day but the whole point for people getting their first Warwick is they know its come from that famous German workshop.

Really glad I ordered my Warwick Covette Standard at the end of the year making it a German model. I have waited 21 years for this bass and if it was going to be made in Korea then I would not had bothered.[/quote]
i think as prices went up, it was getting to the point where they were getting a little too expensive for what they were (though no more than a USA standard jazz, and i know what i'd have), and they moved production so as to keep prices down so they're not as off putting.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='717311' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:04 PM']i think as prices went up, it was getting to the point where they were getting a little too expensive for what they were (though no more than a USA standard jazz, and i know what i'd have), and they moved production so as to keep prices down so they're not as off putting.[/quote]

Possibly but I got my Warwick Corvette for £589 back in November 2009. Thats quite a bit cheaper than a USA Standard Jazz. I'm wondering if Warwick were actually not making enough moneyfrom them and have so sourced them making manufacturing cheaper.

Hehe, that singlecut really is minging... The funny thing is, they were running a competition on their forum to design a singlecut, I assume this was the winning design, what must the others look like?!

It's a shame that prices are rising, yet they're starting to produce the Corvette in Korea, I had a 1996 Corvette (which Rasta now owns) and it was one of the nicest basses I've ever played, it was before they started putting the tree-trunk neck on their instruments!

For me though, the most shocking thing has to be their new price list - Streamer Jazzman 5 string, oil finish - £2,313... I bought one new in 2003 and it cost me £1050!

According to the Warwick forum the factory were losing money on each Corvette they made, so they've outsourced the Corvette standard to Korea to keep the price down but make a profit. They've kept the Corvette $$ in Germany - with a suitable price increase.

[quote name='ColinB' post='717512' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:36 AM']According to the Warwick forum the factory were losing money on each Corvette they made, so they've outsourced the Corvette standard to Korea to keep the price down but make a profit. They've kept the Corvette $$ in Germany - with a suitable price increase.[/quote]

I guess it makes sense to do that although not sure thats the best move for them. Surely putting the price up say £100 and then bringing in another cheaper korean model to help cover costs may have been a better move.

[quote name='Linus27' post='717515' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:43 AM']I guess it makes sense to do that although not sure thats the best move for them. Surely putting the price up say £100 and then bringing in another cheaper korean model to help cover costs may have been a better move.[/quote]

That's what the Rockbasses are for! It puzzled me too, then made me glad i bought my Corvette years ago for under £600

Anyone know the prices of the new Rockbass line?

The Rockbass Corvette Premium is coming in at £525 so hopefully the Basic model will be around £400. The new 2010 model looks really good, from the front it looks just like a German 'Vette

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718104' date='Jan 19 2010, 05:27 PM']That's what the Rockbasses are for! It puzzled me too, then made me glad i bought my Corvette years ago for under £600

The Rockbass Corvette Premium is coming in at £525 so hopefully the Basic model will be around £400. The new 2010 model looks really good, from the front it looks just like a German 'Vette[/quote]

hmm probably means they're looking to move up the price of the German made 'vettes! buy now!!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='718104' date='Jan 19 2010, 05:27 PM']That's what the Rockbasses are for! It puzzled me too, then made me glad i bought my Corvette years ago for under £600

The Rockbass Corvette Premium is coming in at £525 so hopefully the Basic model will be around £400. The new 2010 model looks really good, from the front it looks just like a German 'Vette[/quote]

Didnt you have a corvette once...?

Warwick have always been my favourite, they are just it for me.

Out of the new ones, probably Streamer LX or Streamer Stage 1 or Thumb NT

Of course I can't afford them but I may be able to persuade the other half I need a new bass in which case the std Rockbass Corvette would be very acceptable.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='Dubs' post='715678' date='Jan 17 2010, 02:16 PM']Those weren't Rockbass basses man, they were genuine German made ovangkol necked Warwicks, and very nice as well :)[/quote]

[quote name='budget bassist' post='715885' date='Jan 17 2010, 06:54 PM']what he said, they were german made.[/quote]

Those are the ones. Carolina body, twin MEC pups. They were about £IRL 900 back in '99. Thought they were only available as rockbass now because I've seen them for sale at £300ish. Great bass I have to say.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='718521' date='Jan 19 2010, 10:41 PM']Ive never understood he high prices on some of the Warwick gear. I can see the wood is awesome, but...[/quote]

Thats true. Some of the Warwicks are ridiculously over priced but then again look at the Victor Bailey sig Fender. Most of the Musicman range is grossly overpriced too IMO.