Why become a member? ×

Wy oh why did I choose to be a bassist

Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710147' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:10 PM']I nip into local guitar shop for 'a few little bits' and end up spending £47. And they didn't even have 5 string strings in, so it would've been even worse!![/quote]
Yeah, if they'd had a 5-string set of TI flats in, you'd have doubled that!

So... spill them beans. How does "a few little bits" come to £47? Even a bag of 10 plectrums is only going to be about £3...

Heh! I know the feeling, Sarah. I'm just about to do another string order with Status for six four string sets and a couple of five string sets. I use the DR Fatbeams on my other basses and they're getting expensive - Two sets at a time comes to over £60 usually!

At least you have the satisfaction of being better than those ego-maniac guitarists!

How're you getting along with your lovely Edge Pro, btw?

Rich.

Here's what I got..
Boss power supply for my distortion pedal - £28
Patch Cable £1
Ear plugs £13
dickies 'pick pocket' £5
= £47 and last set of strings I got was £27..... :\ ouch.

and OTPJ, I love it... best money I've ever spent on a bass.. it's my baby :) Got a band audition on thurs too :rolleyes:

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710147' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:10 PM']I nip into local guitar shop for 'a few little bits' and end up spending £47. And they didn't even have 5 string strings in, so it would've been even worse!!

Anybody fancy lending me a tenner? :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Could be worse - suppose you'd taken up collecting Faberge eggs instead.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710165' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:19 PM']Here's what I got..
Patch Cable £1
Ear plugs £13
dickies 'pick pocket' £5

and OTPJ, I love it... best money I've ever spent on a bass.. it's my baby :) Got a band audition on thurs too :rolleyes:[/quote]
All the best for thursday then!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710165' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:19 PM']Here's what I got..
Patch Cable £1
Ear plugs £13
dickies 'pick pocket' £5

and OTPJ, I love it... best money I've ever spent on a bass.. it's my baby :rolleyes: Got a band audition on thurs too :lol:[/quote]

Great news! Best of luck with the audition, Sarah :)

Actually I'm thankful I'm a bassist! It has saved me a fortune! Guitarists constantly amass picks, pedals, multi-effects pedals, pedal boards, power supplies, batteries, cables (short, long, patch, etc) different types of guitar for different sounds, the [i]same [/i]types of guitar for the same sound, amps for different sounds, amps for the same sound but at different volumes, valve amps for vintage, solid-state for something different, broken amps for 'projects', straps for all their guitars, cases (one soft and one hard for each guitar), complete packs of strings, incomplete packs of strings with the high E having been pilfered cos they keep breaking it, mixed sets of different branded strings cos they can never find the complete packs they buy, capos, tuners (clip-on, pedal types, chromatic, non-chromatic)...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='710155' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:13 PM']Heh! I know the feeling, Sarah. I'm just about to do another string order with Status for six four string sets and a couple of five string sets. I use the DR Fatbeams on my other basses and they're getting expensive - Two sets at a time comes to over £60 usually![/quote]

Given that you're a professional bassist can't you write those costs off as business expenses though? Or has the tax man told you your strings are too expensive and threatened an audit?

They did that to me over (totally legitimate) telco costs last year.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710165' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:19 PM']Boss power supply for my distortion pedal - £28[/quote]
[b]£28?![/b] Holy scha-moly. Have Boss upped their game in the power-supply world? Or is it the ol' PSA-240?

I've had decent results with supplies from Argos or Maplin (£10 tops), and if I was going to spend £20-odd, I'd go for the [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Effects/13731-/Visual-Sound-1-Spot-Combo-Pack-9V-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Power-Supply"]1-Spot combo package[/url] so I could power a bunch of pedals from one supply.

Sorry, Sarah. Don't mean to piss on your chips. :) Have fun at your audition!

[quote name='Earbrass' post='710167' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:22 PM']Could be worse - suppose you'd taken up collecting Faberge eggs instead.[/quote]
[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710169' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:23 PM']I have *some* taste you know :)[/quote]

You're right, they're rubbish. I'm holding out for a Faberge chicken.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='710179' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:25 PM']Given that you're a professional bassist can't you write those costs off as business expenses though? Or has the tax man told you your strings are too expensive and threatened an audit?

They did that to me over (totally legitimate) telco costs last year.[/quote]

Gear isn't usually a problem. It's all tax deductable, thankfully! The only thing they do ask for proof of from time to time is the business mileage. I just show them the car's odometer. The last time I showed them my three year old Octavia with 142,000 miles on it, LOL!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='710180' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:26 PM'][b]£28?![/b] Holy scha-moly. Have Boss upped their game in the power-supply world? Or is it the ol' PSA-240?

I've had decent results with supplies from Argos or Maplin (£10 tops), and if I was going to spend £20-odd, I'd go for the [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/Effects/13731-/Visual-Sound-1-Spot-Combo-Pack-9V-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Power-Supply"]1-Spot combo package[/url] so I could power a bunch of pedals from one supply.

Sorry, Sarah. Don't mean to piss on your chips. :rolleyes: Have fun at your audition![/quote]
Yup, that's the one :) I know what you mean though. I nearly fell over when he told me how much it was.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='710178' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:25 PM']Actually I'm thankful I'm a bassist! It has saved me a fortune! Guitarists constantly amass picks, pedals, multi-effects pedals, pedal boards, power supplies, batteries, cables (short, long, patch, etc) different types of guitar for different sounds, the [i]same [/i]types of guitar for the same sound, amps for different sounds, amps for the same sound but at different volumes, valve amps for vintage, solid-state for something different, broken amps for 'projects', straps for all their guitars, cases (one soft and one hard for each guitar), complete packs of strings, incomplete packs of strings with the high E having been pilfered cos they keep breaking it, mixed sets of different branded strings cos they can never find the complete packs they buy, capos, tuners (clip-on, pedal types, chromatic, non-chromatic)...[/quote]

Apart from the missing high E string and the capo, that could be anyone here :)

Good luck with the audition, Sarah! Knock 'em on their arses.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='710178' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:25 PM']Actually I'm thankful I'm a bassist! It has saved me a fortune! Guitarists constantly amass...[/quote]
I'm not (primarily) a guitarist, but let me take a look through your list:

picks - CHECK (back pocket full of them, various shapes and sizes)
pedals - CHECK (more than I can fit on one board... see below)
multi-effects pedals - does a Bass PodXT with foot controller count?
pedal boards - CHECK (got one overflowing with pedals... thinking about getting another)
power supplies - CHECK (got five of various voltages and polarities)
batteries - CHECK (use 'em in my basses and my Ebow)
cables (short, long, patch, etc) - CHECK (loads)
different types of guitar for different sounds - CHECK
the [i]same [/i]types of guitar for the same sound - nah, I'm not mental :)
amps for different sounds - have had in the past
amps for the same sound but at different volumes - nah
valve amps for vintage - can't afford it, but would like one
solid-state for something different - CHECK (solid state for everything, in my case)
broken amps for 'projects' - CHECK
straps for all their guitars - CHECK (more straps than basses at the moment)
cases (one soft and one hard for each guitar) - CHECK (more cases than basses at the moment)
complete packs of strings - CHECK
incomplete packs of strings with the high E having been pilfered cos they keep breaking it - CHECK (except it's the low E with me)
mixed sets of different branded strings cos they can never find the complete packs they buy - nah
capos - CHECK (although only one)
tuners (clip-on, pedal types, chromatic, non-chromatic) - CHECK (got two)

I'm actually a guitarist as well, but I took it up after bass and it has almost always taken second place to bass. Bass helped me to adopt and maintain a 'simpler is better' approach, and only to change or add to my setup when I found I was 'hearing' something that could only be achieved by modifying my setup.

Hey thats a dead cheap power supply, dunno what you are worrying about, them Diago ones are £70 withoput any newfangled super duper leads to get 18v or whatever. PIA or what!

I insured my and Plux's kit for the first time this year, now that did make me sit down with a bump! Came to over £250 !!

[quote name='51m0n' post='710208' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:41 PM']Hey thats a dead cheap power supply, dunno what you are worrying about, them Diago ones are £70 withoput any newfangled super duper leads to get 18v or whatever. PIA or what!

I insured my and Plux's kit for the first time this year, now that did make me sit down with a bump! Came to over £250 !![/quote]
You're kidding! :)