Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite preset on your multi-effects/modelling pedal?

Marvin

I recently got a zoom b2.1u.
Running through the factory preset's there are the lovely through to the strange.
My personal faves are A3 auto wah. Great for a funky sound.
and A5 Miller's Crossing. Emulates Marcus Miller's slap sound through a SWR amp

For twiddling at home, great fun.

As there are other similar pedals out there anyone else got any favourites?

[quote]I totally dig "Sub Dub" on my POD X3 LIVE.

I think this a top idea for a thread and not silly at all. It's something I've always wanted to know without realising smile.gif[/quote]

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I've been noodling with mine most of the Christmas and new year (and this week as I'm on leave).
Some of the presets I will probably never use, but the two I've picked out really do stand out for me.

I know some regard these units as unnecessary, but they are incredibly versatile.
Tonight for example, Bass, little box, headphones and I'm practising, brilliant. Did some scales and arpeggios and treated myself at the end with some heavy distortion and metal style beat from the 'drum machine', for some out and out hardcore style. Well pleased. Then all the other stuff, DI , USB interface and so on.

Edited by Marvin

I bought the Zoom b2 on the advice of someone on here when I was asking about effects pedals to use in a cover band. 'Get one and learn what you like and don't, then you can buy the pedals'. Really good advice and I learned a lot even though I've still barely scratched the surface on modifying patches to suit my own taste.

Already used Ampeg and Sansamp patches along with Bassman and Marshal tomes in gigs. I know I don't need to and the audience probably doesn't notice much difference, but I feel I'm closer to the original and probably play better as a result.

And the band likes the tone! :)

Had a Zoom 70811 for a couple of years and never really used it at gigs ( and almost never used it anyway- but it was cheap )

Just recently got it out to use as a tuner for gigs and really got to get into it- re-programming the unit which is simple once you get used to it. The patches are just too much so I have really calmed them down- I use Mirror which is a Marcus sort of sound and Funk which is a bit fatter- the Wah effects are pretty good.

Overall, after I have changed these patches there is not a great deal of difference in the tone but a little goes a long way.

Cheers

Bob

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='704546' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:15 PM']I dig the "5150 Drive" patch on my VF-1 for both guitar and bass, although I've now moved more towards using the "Hyper Metal" preset.[/quote]

Hey matey! Does the VF-1 do distortion and drive presets then?

Hmmmm - tough one! I have a Pod X3 - and found that all the factory presets needed tweaking, so I have just built my own with really unimaginative names.

The one I use the most at the moment has the following signal chains:

input> Tone 1 (on) > Wah > Vetta Juice > Modern Console preamp > TL Compressor > post EQ > (VOL) > LOOP > Random Chorus (off) > Ping Pong Delay (off) > Plate Rev (off) >Stereo Out L+R
.......> Tone 2 (off) >Wah > Vetta Juice (off) > Metally guitar amp mebbe Diezel sim (no cab) > TL Compressor > post EQ > (VOL) > LOOP > Random Chorus (off) > Ping Pong Delay (off) > Plate Rev (off) >Stereo Out L+R

It does change a lot - but one thing to notice, despite using the POD - I don't add any amp sims at this point. Certainly no point doing that if I'm plugging in to backline, but in the case of the guitar amp signal - I use the post EQ to 'shape' it so that it sounds a lot nicer going in to an amp. Where pedals are marked as off, they are ready just to be stomped on when needed - either for boost of instant tone variation.

Finally, for recording - the USB output automatically sends my DAW a tone 1 Dry, Tone 2 Dry, Tone 1 L+R Wet and Tone 2 L+R Wet. This means that I can reamp or play with any of the individual paths without affecting the other. Tone 2 will probably get a speaker sim added for a bit more 'room' effect - I've been introduced to 'impulses' for cab simulations - there's loads of info' on the net about it all - but even the 'sims' that peopole have made themelves are really effective in bringing life to a mix.

edit: I realised I have some presets on my rack rig - but as it took ^^^ this much to explain the X3 - I'd shy away from spending the rest of the morning explaining my other gear's patches!! oppphhh!!!

[quote name='dood' post='705295' date='Jan 8 2010, 11:14 AM']Hey matey! Does the VF-1 do distortion and drive presets then?[/quote]
Hi Dood,
It certainly does. There are preset algorithms for both guitar and bass, with different options for each. The guitar ones have a variety of pretty common amp models/distortion preamps, while the bass one has "Ampeg" and "Vox" (I think) amp models, as well as a bunch of distortion box models. They work for me, although I use it mainly for home practice through my hi-fi and a bit of recording- not used them live yet. Maybe one of these days...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='705325' date='Jan 8 2010, 11:41 AM']Hi Dood,
It certainly does. There are preset algorithms for both guitar and bass, with different options for each. The guitar ones have a variety of pretty common amp models/distortion preamps, while the bass one has "Ampeg" and "Vox" (I think) amp models, as well as a bunch of distortion box models. They work for me, although I use it mainly for home practice through my hi-fi and a bit of recording- not used them live yet. Maybe one of these days...[/quote]

Thanks!

I'm on the look out for a MIDI controllable distortion I can put in my rack system - and basically seeing what's out there that will integrate in to my gear. I'll have a look a bit closer at this one! - I like that it is a half rack size!

[quote name='Geek99' post='705385' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:48 PM']Try [url="http://www.haax.se/basspatches/manualsite/index.php?unit=B2"]http://www.haax.se/basspatches/manualsite/index.php?unit=B2[/url][/quote]
Cheers, now bookmarked.