Why become a member? ×

What bass is this ?

redstriper

[quote name='redstriper' post='699238' date='Jan 3 2010, 02:27 AM']Does anyone know what bass Robbie is playing here ?
You need to freeze the video at 7.53, (if you can be bothered).

[/quote]

Thanks for posting that!
IMHO there's just not enough mention of the Robbie on basschat - he is a [b]GOD[/b] of bass playing!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='699248' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:11 AM']PRS bass IV :)[/quote]

Thanks for the fast reply, probably beyond my price range, but where can I try one in the UK ?
Robbie isn't mentioned on the PRS site - maybe he just picked up someone elses before going back to his usual Fender jazz.

Yeah he was known for using the PRS as it has the close neck pick up. Nice bass for reggae but they are quite rare although i read the other week, i think on Talkbass, that some have been seen on ebay. I have a Black Uhuru DVD where Robbie is playing a Peavey but unsure as to which model. Are you bass shopping??? :rolleyes: ...a nice bass is the Hohner B bass-Family man has been using them for some time - i've got an old one i picked up for £70 a few months back and its really nice :) :

PRS Bass:

Edited by Rasta

Sadly the early PRS basses were a bit flat tonally, and whilst they made good funk and reggae basses they didnt 'hit it' well in all the other genres.

Mr Smith was a bit miffed with that, and they didnt sell very well.

When he designed the EB IV (the ones that I have) he set about a fair chunk of the design himself and recruited LR Baggs to help design the electrics so that the new ones was more tonally versatile, whilst it worked to a degree the pre amp is still a wee bit limited and I have found slapping a Bartolini pre amp in there (and if I had more bottle a set of Bart pups) opens up the spectrum.

The set neck Electric Bass 4 that Robbie is playing in that clip is a wonderful design and they feel great, some of them are works of art. Sadly they are sought after more because they are collectors pieces now than 'kick ass' basses which I find a shame. Also a shame that Robbie was never an official endorsee of PRS. Gary Grainger kinda makes up for that though having his own 5 string priavte stock design.

Oh and BTW someone started a thread exactly the same as yours with another youube clip about a year ago....!

:)

[quote name='Rasta' post='699872' date='Jan 3 2010, 07:38 PM']Yeah he was known for using the PRS as it has the close neck pick up. Nice bass for reggae but they are quite rare although i read the other week, i think on Talkbass, that some have been seen on ebay. I have a Black Uhuru DVD where Robbie is playing a Peavey but unsure as to which model. Are you bass shopping??? :lol: ...a nice bass is the Hohner B bass-Family man has been using them for some time - i've got an old one i picked up for £70 a few months back and its really nice :) :[/quote]

Yeh I'm bass hunting again - still looking for that perfect tone and feel, my old jazz bass is heavy and the tone is only 95% perfect :lol: .
It's more than just where the pup is though - I had an epiphone eb-0 with the neck pup and while it did sound very deep, it wasn't the right tone for me - too growly and not smooth enough.
I will have to love the PRS from a distance coz I could never afford one, but I'll look out for a Hohner B - They are on ebay new for about £225 shipped from the states, but I won't buy blind again.
It says the body is solid maple, which must be quite heavy ?
My old jazz bass has a home made maple body and I'm wondering about putting an extra pup next to the neck like the PRS.
Have you seen [url="http://www.revolutioninstruments.com/product.php?xProd=67&xSec=1&jssCart=01f3ec40bb52ac2fd64b22ca465dd86a"][u]this[/u][/url] ?
I'd love to try it, but it's probly no good.
I may go for a Squier CV jazz after hearing so many good reports, or maybe a warwick corvette if I can find a good one cheap enough.

Have a natty new year :rolleyes:

[quote name='redstriper' post='700128' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:30 PM']That bass is way too big for you - can I have it please ?

:)[/quote]

Hehe, that is my son at age 2, that pic was taken in 1995, now he is 17, and I've had that bass since 1988 which makes that bass 22years old, I will never sell it.

I love TI flats and I have them on a fretless, but I can't get on with them for reggae coz they don't go deep enough for me.
I need heavier gauge flats and I don't really dig the precision tone for reggae either.
I always come back to the jazz bass using only the neck pup with the tone rolled off, this is the closest I have found to my ideal tone but it's still not quite perfect coz I don't like the hollow sound at higher volumes.
Nobody seems to make a bass just for reggae and most new basses come with roundwound strings, which makes finding the right tone very difficult.
The PRS in the clip would be a contender - shame there isn't a cheap copy.
The Hohner B bass sounds interesting, can't find much about them though.

[quote name='redstriper' post='700374' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:37 PM']The Hohner B bass sounds interesting, can't find much about them though.[/quote]

They sound enormous, I had one back in the early '90s. Everybody sniggered whenever I took it out to soundcheck, they stopped laughing when they heard it. :)

Sold it because of the looks in the end but there was certainly nothing missing from the tone.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='700454' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:55 PM']Very very tempting........

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-PRS-PAUL-REED-SMITH-CURLY-IV-BASS-WHALE-BLUE-BRZ_W0QQitemZ190362608994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2c527ee562"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-PRS-PAUL-REED-S...=item2c527ee562[/url]

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Nope; doesn't matter which one of the many pics the guy has listed that I examine, I still can't 'quite' pick out what shade of 'Whale [color="#0000FF"][u]Blue[/u][/color]' that is! :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='700374' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:37 PM']I love TI flats and I have them on a fretless, but I can't get on with them for reggae coz they don't go deep enough for me.
I need heavier gauge flats and I don't really dig the precision tone for reggae either.
I always come back to the jazz bass using only the neck pup with the tone rolled off, this is the closest I have found to my ideal tone but it's still not quite perfect coz I don't like the hollow sound at higher volumes.[/quote]

Understood. Well I'm not a reggae player per se, but I love to play some at home away from the band, and certainly to listen to in the car. However I reckon the Sadowsky is to modern sounding, even with the the bridge pup rolled off, so I'm hoping that the Precision will give me more of an old school vibe for playing funk and some dub too. You're right about the TIs, they're quite bright and flexible for flats, and maybe LaBellas would be more authentic, but I just happen to have a set of TIs floating about the place so I may as well use them eh?

I think you're right, Precisions can sound a bit [i]too[/i] woolly and dull with the tone rolled off, whereas a Jazz still seems to have a little punch and definition to it, even with all the tone rolled back.

TIs can definately sound great on a precision.
Check out Avatar [url="http://www.myspace.com/avatarsounds"][u]here[/u][/url] - the songs in the player mostly feature the Pino precision and James always uses TI flats.

I find them too weak for my reggae style, but then I am just a thug really :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='700681' date='Jan 4 2010, 05:29 PM']maybe LaBellas would be more authentic,[/quote]

FWIW in my punk/reggae band I use a Squier Jazz strung with LaBella flats (and occasionally a lump of mouse mat wedged under them) and it does the business for me. I'm going for a '60s Studio One-type sound though, not a modern reggae / dub sound.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='700844' date='Jan 4 2010, 07:37 PM']FWIW in my punk/reggae band I use a Squier Jazz strung with LaBella flats (and occasionally a lump of mouse mat wedged under them) and it does the business for me. I'm going for a '60s Studio One-type sound though, not a modern reggae / dub sound.[/quote]

I also like an old skool sound and I'm going to try a Squier CV jazz tomorrow.
I had a go on a Warwick Corvette today and found that had a great reggae tone from the front pup and a nice feel too - expensive though.

Burpster - thanks for the link, I'd love to try that PRS on ebay, but I can't be paying that kinda dosh without playing it first, (and even then................) ?

Why do I have such expensive taste :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='700148' date='Jan 3 2010, 11:55 PM']It says the body is solid maple, which must be quite heavy ?[/quote]
Yeah I'd say the Hohner is about as heavy as the Jazz ish, smooth basses though-very smooth necks too. The pick ups work well, active/passive configuration although the eq does not work in passive. It's weird because traditionally most reggae was played on passives but i do think a modern active venture could yield the tones your looking for. I know...the dreaded battery fear :lol: - I must admit I get this too but if I'm doing a big gig (i.e. not a pub :rolleyes:) I'll change it or take a spare, but so far so good with my Warwick and Musicman's battery. The Lakland 5 string I use with 'Daddy Teacha' is a passive Jazz with Lindy Fralin pick ups, that sounds nice too but I cannot control the 'earthy warmth' (there's one for the bass glossary) like I can with the active EMG's on the Warwick. I also have mid control on the Warwick which allows me to have a good bass thud but no mud. The active was pretty good on the Hohner too although I've knackered mine from playing around with it.... so its just passive now.

Other good basses that I've seen used are the Spectors, Ibanez's like the SR series and if you want lightness try the Hohner/Spirit Steinberger Cricket bats...although i found they sat funny on my beer belly so had to fit a hook thingy to get comfortable; they also have the same pick ups set up as the Hohner B Bass and Jack basses (i think).
These look interesting too:-
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326902500"][b]Squire bass[/b][/url]

I'm currently gassing for a Yamaha TRB though, i played one whilst in Brum over Xmas....wow, so nice, smooth and phat! and then to top it off got a DVD for Xmas of Capleton & Cocoa Tea's Earth Wind & Fire and the bassist (Capletons bassist) is using a TRB 5 string-sounds soooo good :lol: ...sooooo expensive :) ...... Alas nappies are a priority here and now and purchases are off the menu for a long time and well i'm quite happy with the current set up and reluctant to trade/sell........for now :lol: ! The wife has also said 'any new gear purchased has to come from gear sold'....and well I'm skint as usual apart from my gear :lol:

Happy new year dready :lol: