Why become a member? ×

Don't post your bass via Parcelforce/RoyalMail

OldGit

[b](Edit, sorry for misleading but it does get complicated when you are dealing with Royal Mail/Parcel Force. Turns out the bass went by Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day service and not Parcel Force. Sorry Parcel Force)[/b]

Just has a bass killed by parcel force. Insurance claim refused because "it wasn't wrapped correctly".
The guidelines are there, if you know where to look: deep in the bottom drawer of a locked filing cabinet in the archive of their website:

"Guitars and other musical instruments should be packaged in a [b]hard case [/b]with sufficient internal packaging to ensure that the instrument cannot move during transit. Please note that if the instrument hard case is used as the external packaging then the case itself will be treated as packaging and not contents, as a result the case will not be covered for damage compensation. Any instrument strings should be loosened. [b]Musical instruments will only be covered up to £150 of compensation for loss or damage[/b]."

Has to be in a hard case and you can only claim £150, no matter how much it's worth or how much compensation insurance the counter person sold you ..

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by OldGit

Guest subaudio

Sorry to hear that, if you were sold insurance for a greater value do you have a case for miss selling ? maybe some of our Basschat people who work in insurance or legal proffesion's could chip in, I recall there are a few?

[quote name='subaudio' post='6376' date='May 25 2007, 11:24 AM']Sorry to hear that, if you were sold insurance for a greater value do you have a case for miss selling ? maybe some of our Basschat people who work in insurance or legal profession's could chip in, I recall there are a few?[/quote]

I'm going with the "duty of care" legislation and insufficient training for counter staff:
Counter person, knowing it was guitar, had a "duty of care" to point out that it was not wrapped to the standards stated in their guidelines, and should have:

1 refuse to accept it if it wasn't sufficiently well wrapped
2 drawn my attention to the small print and instructions for guitar sending
3 told me the value restrictions
4 not sold me insurance for an item worth more than the limit that..

Then the handling staff had a duty of care to deliver the goods without damaging them through negligent use of mechanical sorting kit as the package had fragile witten all over it.

I'm going through Postwatch.co.uk the watchdog.

We will see.

Damn, that's sucks beyond belief. That guitar really must have had a rough ride for the bloody neck to snap in half!

I remember back on bassworld this sort of discussion came up quite alot and one person who worked for a big courier firm (like TNT or UPS) said that his colleagues used to play 'consignment football'!

Hmm, I wonder what that entails......:)

i've sent guitars and basses by a mixture of citylink and parcelforce and received stuff by both carriers and lynx as well i think and never had an issue (not that it's any comfort following the loss of this particular instrument) with guitars sent in boxes and packed in hardcases and then boxed. I've received one bass in a hardcase, taped up with an address label and one numpty sent me a guitar in a gig bag with a label half taped to it. miraculously it survived save for a broken machine head

[quote name='Waldo' post='6409' date='May 25 2007, 12:09 PM']Damn, that's sucks beyond belief. That guitar really must have had a rough ride for the bloody neck to snap in half!

I remember back on bassworld this sort of discussion came up quite alot and one person who worked for a big courier firm (like TNT or UPS) said that his colleagues used to play 'consignment football'!

Hmm, I wonder what that entails......:)[/quote]

Recon they must have used this bass for cricket!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='6405' date='May 25 2007, 12:01 PM']Christ on a bike... that's horrendous.

How was it packed? In a bin liner?[/quote]

Well yeah but it was a [b]thick[/b] bin liner ...
:)

Nah loads of bubble wrap, cardboard re-inforcement and and parcel tape and fragile all over it.

It's a Hohner B2B 'berger-a-like so not exactly heavy.
No sticky out bits to break off...

Edited by OldGit

Wow... I'm really sorry to hear about that. I certainly won't be ever using them again.

I hope you get somewhere legally with that. The fact they sold you extra insurance when their policy stipulates musical instruments can't be covered by extra compensation is amazing! Good luck with that mate.

that is nasty!, i have only ever shipped one bass and it was with PF and it was going to Italy, its incidents like this that had me worried about it during transit, i was lucky though it arrived at its location undamaged.

i hope you manage to get something sorted out.

Edited by Bassmonster

[quote name='The Funk' post='6512' date='May 25 2007, 02:22 PM']I think you'd have a good claim for compensation up to the full value for a bunch of reasons. Without any of the documents, I can't help out though. If you could scan them and post them up here, I could have a look through them for you.[/quote]

Thanks
PM sent

This sort of thing does my nut in!

The first emotion that overcame me wasn't sympathy, but pure, unmitigated anger.

Your heart must have sank when you heard about this.

I recently sent a bass with PF, insured for £1500. Aside from the fact it cost about £45 to send, you're saying hat if it was damaged I would only have received £150?

What if an item is lost/stolen in transit?

Why can't guitars be fully insured?

---

Who can we use to fully insure expensive guitars?

---

I hope you get this sorted out and compensated OG. To be honest, I just want to start cracking skulls. £150 my arse.

More evidence for the World vs. Parcelforce case file:

My father recently sent a small leather briefcase of mine to a shop in Eton to be repaired. It's an antique, a fmaily heirloom of which I'm quite fond.

It never arrived. It is no more. I have lost something precious to me, but worthless to anyone else. How could this be so? Because it was packed in an old Dell laptop box, that's why, so some scumbag has had it away in anticipation of a new computer.

Have i got anything back from Parcelforce? Not so much as a letter of apology. A shower of b4stards, the lot of them, they have lost any and all goodwill and future business of mine.

Really sorry to see that, OG. Take them to the cleaners if you can, for all our sakes.

[quote name='Viajero' post='6640' date='May 25 2007, 04:42 PM']More evidence for the World vs. Parcelforce case file:

My father recently sent a small leather briefcase of mine to a shop in Eton to be repaired. It's an antique, a fmaily heirloom of which I'm quite fond.

It never arrived. It is no more. I have lost something precious to me, but worthless to anyone else. How could this be so? Because it was packed in an old Dell laptop box, that's why, so some scumbag has had it away in anticipation of a new computer.

Have i got anything back from Parcelforce? Not so much as a letter of apology. A shower of b4stards, the lot of them, they have lost any and all goodwill and future business of mine.
Really sorry to see that, OG. Take them to the cleaners if you can, for all our sakes.[/quote]

Hiyah
You might like to talk to postwatch.co.uk info@ will get them from Espana.
They are independant of the PO and should be able to snap at their heels if nothing else...
OG

That's a real tragedy. I've sent stuff with PF before, inside case, inside bubble wrap, inside cardboard box, and all was well, but it doesn't sound as though yours was grossly underprotected. And think of all that extra insurance they don't get claims on - withholding compensation is criminal. Hope your case goes well. Nick S
[quote name='OldGit' post='6397' date='May 25 2007, 11:51 AM']He's dead Jim

[/quote]

I think your best bet would be to go to Trading Standards and get their advice on the different ways of resolving this matter. I suspect they would be very interested to know that Parcelforce are mis-selling Insurance!