Why become a member? ×

So... how would you go about removing varnish from a neck?

JamieBenzies

Over the last week or so I have been pumping out lots of posts regarding the changes I am making to my Yamaha TRB5 fretless.

Now, when I played a Stingray a while ago I suddenly realised one factor that for me makes the bass a whole lot more playable, is the lack of varnish on the neck. Too me i feel this makes a huge difference and really sets my hands at ease... odd I know...

So I was wondering, how could I DIY the varnish off my bass neck without risking unnecessary damage?

Has anyone else ever done this?

Thanks everyone :)

Edited by benzies123

[quote name='benzies123' post='693708' date='Dec 26 2009, 01:36 PM']Over the last week or so I have been pumping out lots of posts regarding the changes I am making to my Yamaha TRB5 fretless.

Now, when I played a Stingray a while ago I suddenly realised one factor that for me makes the bass a whole lot more playable, is the lack of varnish on the neck. Too me i feel this makes a huge difference and really sets my hands at ease... odd I know...

So I was wondering, how could I DIY the varnish off my bass neck without risking unnecessary damage?

Has anyone else ever done this?

Thanks everyone :)[/quote]

If you just want to change the texture from a gloss to a satin or matt, then you don't need to remove the varnish, just to scuff the surface with fine-grit sandpaper.

There's always a risk of unnecessary damage when you mod a bass, especially the finish or the woodwork, but you'll just have to be careful. Fortunately, the above operation is reversible.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='693732' date='Dec 26 2009, 02:35 PM']I find that Scotchbrite does the job very well. It takes the gloss off without removing a lot of varnish.[/quote]
I recently did this to a few of my basses (& a couple of guitars) - It makes a great difference. I used grey scotchbrite equivalent to fine wire wool.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='693786' date='Dec 26 2009, 04:00 PM']I recently did this to a few of my basses (& a couple of guitars) - It makes a great difference. I used grey scotchbrite equivalent to fine wire wool.[/quote]

Are these the green kitchen scourers you're talking about here, or is it another of their products?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='693809' date='Dec 26 2009, 04:44 PM']the grey stuff I used came from a now sadly closed-down hardware shop (turtles in Croydon). Iti similar to but a lot finer than the green bit of kitchen scourers and is sold as an alternative to wire wool.[/quote]

Cheers.

I don't think I've seen that about. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in a decent hardware shop.

Wire wool to remove the gloss from the finish - you don't need to strip it to the wood, and it'll take about 10 minutes. And if you don't like it & want it shiny again, 10 minutes with T-Cut will sort that out.

If you do use wire wool, keep it away from your pickups - in fact removing the neck completely is the best idea.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='693956' date='Dec 26 2009, 08:21 PM']Wire wool to remove the gloss from the finish - you don't need to strip it to the wood, and it'll take about 10 minutes. And if you don't like it & want it shiny again, 10 minutes with T-Cut will sort that out.

If you do use wire wool, keep it away from your pickups - in fact removing the neck completely is the best idea.

Jon.[/quote]

+1

Infact, do it in a seperate room. My VMJ is still has the odd bit of wirewool around the pickups from when I wire-wooled the neck on a different guitar.

I have gone ahead and used the wire wool, it works an utter treat! In fact I liked the change so much I then went on to treat my Ibanez with the wool too. I can now feel the neck in a more comforting way, the neck doesn't feel at all sticky and I can zip up and down it with so little resistance I may as well be playing air guitar! It's awesome.

Thank you so much everyone, this has really made a huge difference!

Jamie