Why become a member? ×

Increadible! My 59P found on a Bass Book!

sixshooter

I just recieved for christmas "The History of the 1966 Slab-Bodied Precision Bass", a great present made even better when I saw the picture on the back cover! it's my 1959 P Bass....

I could not believe it at first, but checking with my photo's before the respray I am 90% certain that it is mine....tell me what you think....it would be nice to find out a bit more history about it so if anyone knows Barry Matthews the Author of the book, or if he is a member of Basschat, (you never know), the maybe I can get confirmation.

[attachment=38863:Basses_f...sale_002.jpg]

[attachment=38864:img004.jpg]

Edited by sixshooter

[quote name='sixshooter' post='693428' date='Dec 25 2009, 05:24 PM']The very same one, had it re-fined, on the basis that it had already been stripped and a good re-fin would not reduce the value any further.[/quote]

Ah ha, that's what threw me, lol.

I remember you saying it had been re-finned at some stage.

Pretty cool that it's in the book :)

its hard to be certain because the book photo doesn't show the wood grain on the body very well. The wear pattern of that thumb anchoring point is a little different too. If its not the same bass, the similarities are still remarkable.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='693594' date='Dec 26 2009, 09:42 AM']Stunning bass that. I must get myself a copy of the book as I've had a play on one of the '66 slab body Precisions and I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more of the history of them.[/quote]

you won't be disapointed, read mine yesterday, lots of first hand information