Why become a member? ×

Headed vs Headless

M-Bass-M

[quote name='mrcrow' post='692439' date='Dec 23 2009, 04:51 PM']i think they look a bit strange and dont have any protection for bashing the 'headstock' against peoples heads... ^_^[/quote]

Is that you on the bike Mr Crow? Nice.

I find the above a bit odd. A lump of brass and carbon fibre less protection than wood and tuners :)

Being shorter overall the likelihood of hitting something (unintentionally) is much reduced anyway.

Balance wise it's a bass by bass thing and the lack of inertia from moving around with the bass is only a good thing.

My 15mm spaced Status Empathy 5 has rapidly become the most playable bass I've ever owned - full stop. I've owned a huge number of basses too. Doesn't go out of tune (well maybe a tiny amount) with temperature, no dead spots on the neck and it can sound really warm too.

Peter

[quote name='The Burpster' post='694123' date='Dec 27 2009, 09:40 AM']I think you may find that if you play a Status Streamline, you may struggle to want to play anything else afterwards!

:)[/quote]

Actually, I find I go through "phases" of playing my Streamline, then put it down in favour of the Jazz, Attitude or Vigier.
That said, it's easier to transport (especially abroad!) and less susceptible to damage or environmental changes than most basses, and makes an excellent all-round instrument.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='mrcrow' post='692439' date='Dec 23 2009, 04:51 PM']i think they look a bit strange and dont have any protection for bashing the 'headstock' against peoples heads... ^_^[/quote]

I don't get that at all :) :rolleyes:

The whole point is there's nothing there to bash against anything - I find them a boon on cramped stages and often make my choice as to which bass to take to a particular gig on that alone. Look at my Fenders and you'll see the evidence of banging into stuff - look at my pristine Shuker and see none , because I'm so careful about which gigs it goes to after my experiences with the Fenders - look at my headless Status and there's nothing to see , I've never once banged into anything with it. There's nothing to worry about beyond my hand.

It travels in a guitar gig bag and is far more portable too. Never goes out of tune in a gig bag like my Fenders do due to the pegs turning either.

I think , for a working bass player , a headless is a fantastic tool.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='693423' date='Dec 25 2009, 05:01 PM']They won't stay in some stands.[/quote]

Most have 2 strap buttons on the arse end - they don't need to go in a stand. In fact I'm so impressed about that fact I often wonder why I don't do the same to my other basses.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I skimmed through some of the posts) but....

Strings. You need double ball end strings really if you want it all nice and tidy. If your favorite srings are not availiable as double ball end jobbys then you'll have to use the retaining grub screws in the string retainer (I know status/abm hardware has this option, not sure about other makes) - not pretty. But works. Just something to consider.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='694153' date='Dec 27 2009, 10:54 AM']Not sure if this has been mentioned already (I skimmed through some of the posts) but....

Strings. You need double ball end strings really if you want it all nice and tidy. If your favorite srings are not availiable as double ball end jobbys then you'll have to use the retaining grub screws in the string retainer (I know status/abm hardware has this option, not sure about other makes) - not pretty. But works. Just something to consider.[/quote]

Fortunately, Status Hotwires are really good strings. Typical of Rob & Dawn to come up with a complete solution... I think they may even do flats. I'm not sure, as I use rounds exclusively.
I've seen DB end strings made by other reputable manufacturers - I think it was either LaBella or D'Addario.

Apparently, round-cored roundwounds "come undone" when assembled in a DB end format.

[quote name='JTUK' post='694174' date='Dec 27 2009, 11:46 AM']And what is this thing about neck-dive...?? if the bass isn't balanced why would you buy it...?[/quote]

Because even the best instruments are compromises (no matter how good), and it ticks all the other boxes?

A good example being my Yamaha Attitude.

Monster Tone
Plays well
Feels good
Really well made (Japanese!)
Good hardware (DiMarzios, Gotohs, a proper Hipshot De-Tuner)
"Real" P neck profile

But- that hefty neck, headstock layout, weighty tuners and Hipshot do make it a bit dive-prone. I'll live with it, though.

Like Crez I had a Thumb, and that was the worst bass for neck dive I have ever played. Headless basses just sit there when you take your hands off. Tuning is easier in my opinion, and the lack of head stock takes about a minute to get used to! I used to have an old Status 2000 that I wish I'd kept - ended up making my own headless basses.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='694445' date='Dec 27 2009, 06:46 PM']Because even the best instruments are compromises (no matter how good), and it ticks all the other boxes?

A good example being my Yamaha Attitude.

Monster Tone
Plays well
Feels good
Really well made (Japanese!)
Good hardware (DiMarzios, Gotohs, a proper Hipshot De-Tuner)
"Real" P neck profile

But- that hefty neck, headstock layout, weighty tuners and Hipshot do make it a bit dive-prone. I'll live with it, though.[/quote]

I like the dive =/ i find the Attitude 100% perfect :)

i like the Headstock, the look and i can't live with out sliding my thumb up onto it and quirkily bumping it when i excitedly got to 1st fret

:rolleyes:

but one to his own

Interesting comment a few posts back regarding double ball end strings. Yes, they are the ones Status in particular recommends, but you really can use either. If you want to use standard strings, just screw down the [provided] gromits into the top holes on the retainer & clip off the string ends with some cutters flush with the top of the retainer. Easy. :rolleyes:

Quite strangely, all of the crew who have marvelled over my S2 over the past few weeks have only commented on the lovely wood & the graphite neck. No one's ever commented about it being headless. At the end of the day, Status is meant to be headless :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='694675' date='Dec 28 2009, 08:25 AM']At the end of the day, Status is meant to be headless :)[/quote]

And yet both the Statii I have owned have been headed (Stealth series I 6 string and a Matrix 4 string) and they've both been brilliant, particularly the Stealth!