Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender help...

Jesso

[attachment=38350:pbass_na..._smaller.jpg][attachment=38349:Pbass_na..._smaller.jpg]

Hey folks,
Just looking for a bit of help with this...
I'm going to look at this bass tonight with a view to maybe buying it.
It's advertised as a 73 and all original.
I suspect it's not all original, but I'm pretty sure the owner thinks that it is (i.e. I don't think he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes)

From what I can gather, a bass of this era should have come with a white pickguard, or maybe a black, but not a tort.
Also, it looks like alder, which means its a refin.... it should be ash?
I'm no expert though, and any tips about what I should be looking for are most appreciated!
These pictures are the ones he's sent me so far.

Thanks,
:)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='685227' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:32 PM']They still had torts in '73, but.. that one ain't original. It's a repro.

I'm fairly sure natural wasn't a stock colour in '73, too.[/quote]

Thanks guys,
How can you tell its a repro guard?
Could it have been a custom colour?

[quote name='Jesso' post='685232' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:36 PM']Thanks guys,
How can you tell its a repro guard?
Could it have been a custom colour?[/quote]

The original tort they used back then isn't available any more.. it's redder and has 'depth' to it. The repro stuff is brown-er and 'sharper' than the original.Some would suggest the repro guards look like pepperoni....

Custom colour? A peek in the neck pocket or control cavities might give a clue, but IMO... nah. It's stripped.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='685227' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:32 PM']They still had torts in '73, but.. that one ain't original. It's a repro.

I'm fairly sure natural wasn't a stock colour in '73, too.[/quote]

Agree with the above - the plate is a 3-ply one so obviously repro.

Reckon it's a 'strip down' so popular in the mid to late 70s.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='685277' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:16 PM']Ah, it's right for pre-73-ish. Looks a bit different on the other photo![/quote]

Ok so assuming that its a nice 73 refin with a repro guard, but everything else is pukka...
What's she worth today?

Rotated for your convenience:

Compared with this '74 (courtesy of Elderly Instruments, who I presume are a fairly reputable source), doesn't the font look a bit different?

I think that's a replacement decal. The Fender bit is too far to the right (the tip of the F is underneath the string tree whereas on the '74 shown it is to the left of it and just misses it). The font is not only a different style, it's a different size too.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' post='685290' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:27 PM']Rotated for your convenience:

Compared with this '74 (courtesy of Elderly Instruments, who I presume are a fairly reputable source), doesn't the font look a bit different?

I think that's a replacement decal. The Fender bit is too far to the right (the tip of the F is underneath the string tree whereas on the '74 shown it is to the left of it and just misses it). The font is not only a different style, it's a different size too.[/quote]

Hmmmmmm

In your that pic of the 74 theres a truss rod opening towards the nut.... is that something that changed? Or is that pic of a 74 jazz or something?

[quote name='Jesso' post='685298' date='Dec 15 2009, 03:32 PM']Hmmmmmm

In your that pic of the 74 theres a truss rod opening towards the nut.... is that something that changed? Or is that pic of a 74 jazz or something?[/quote]

74 is a Maple and the "73" is a rosewood.

If its Alder, its stripped I would say.

FWIW I paid in the broad region of £1,500 (don't especially want to divulge the exact figure) for an all-original 3TS 1972 P-bass

On this basis, I would not pay much more than £1,000 (depending on everything else about the bass) on a re-fin with a repro s/p (BTW, to restore the latter would be costly - there was recently an early 70s P-bass tort scratchplate on eBay for about £200)

UPDATE:
Went to have a look at it just now.
Scratch plate was very obviously not original, looked brand new actually.
It was about as heavy as any bass I've ever picked up (a big no-no for me!).
The body did look like it was all one piece... must have been ash.
I didn't bother asking to dis-assemble the bass to see dates n stuff, cos I knew I wasn't interested immediately.
The neck seemed a bit suspicious.... it wasn't a great fit into the body, and it seemed like the headstock was a different shade than I would have expected it to be.... It just felt like it wasn't the original neck.
Plus the decal looked a bit odd to me. I could see a very faint outline around it... as if it were a sticker or something?
He also told me that there was no point in taking off the neck, as there was no date on it, just an initial. He said -
"according to the blue book, there was a period at the end of 73 when they didn't date the necks for a while".
I'm not sure if that's true, but alarm bells started going off in my head straight away!
It was also missing the longer screw in the bridge for the G string adjustment.