Why become a member? ×

'53 Precision $22,000

There are three things troubling me:

1. In pic ten, where the finish is chipped away from the body edge by the bridge, shouldn't the exposed wood be dirtier? Perhaps it has been stored in a very clean way.

2. It must surely be a trick of the light but in the seventh pic, looking down the removed neck, the fretboard looks the wrong colour, very rosewoody. Although if it was rosewood it would be a slab board, yes?

3. In pic four, should the pickguard screws be slot or crossheads? Some look to be slots but some are crossheads.

What do you think?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='683602' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:34 AM']There are three things troubling me:

1. In pic ten, where the finish is chipped away from the body edge by the bridge, shouldn't the exposed wood be dirtier? Perhaps it has been stored in a very clean way.

2. It must surely be a trick of the light but in the seventh pic, looking down the removed neck, the fretboard looks the wrong colour, very rosewoody. Although if it was rosewood it would be a slab board, yes?

3. In pic four, should the pickguard screws be slot or crossheads? Some look to be slots but some are crossheads.

What do you think?[/quote]

1. I wouldn't expect it to be dirty, because people very rarely handle instruments by that part of the body. It's mostly sweat that discolours exposed wood, but sweat rarely gets on that area.

2. You got it, it's a trick of the light.

3. They're all crossheads. Some of then look like slots due to the angle of the light.