Why become a member? ×

New bass

Thunder_Fingers

As a bit of an Entwistle fanatic, I thought I might pitch in as well. Entwistle was using a P bass in 1970 but didn't use tapping techniques until post Who. If you watch the Live at Toronto dvd (circa 1982) he doesn't use tapping at all (possibly because it's Kenney Jones playing drums you can tell it's forced Entwistle to be less flamboyant. On the other hand, there's so much other craziness going on in places it doesn't really matter. I agree that to get his sound from the Leeds era one should look at the rig itself. Cranked valve amps methinks. I tried an old Hiwatt head a few years ago and that was fantastic. If you got your hands on one of them I'm sure it'd be reasonably easy to get the sound. I bet your wallet is already feeling the strain at the thought....

As for the "Live at Leeds" patch on the Bass Pod XT, when I first got the my Pod XT, I thought "FANTASTIC!!" However, it sounds absolutely NOTHING like his sound from that era. I think the best way of describing that patch would be "weedy," or even "lame" but that's just my opinion. I did try it with about 4 basses just to check I wasn't going mad. Still sounded rubbish though.

From my experience the hardest sound to get right is his late 70's sound where it was still reasonably clean and he was using the Alembic Explorers. It's just impossible to get that tone even with Alembic I have. On the other hand that's not my favourite tone of his.

By contrast, with a Status Buzzard (or something with a graphite neck and an active 3 band EQ), his latter day sound (1996 - 2002) is actually reasonably easy to achieve in all it's incarnations with a very low action, reasonable amount of flanging and bonkers effects depending on what year you want to try and copy his sound.

Good luck with your quest for arguably one of the best bass tones ever.

Valve amp, Hiwatt on Live at Leeds, and, more importantly in my opinion, are the 4x12s. Ported 15s and modern hi-fi type 10s will sound different to the largely mid range the 4x12s gave.

Not having read the Whotabs thing (excellent as it is - I will one day!) John went on to more esoteric speaker configurations (Sun etc) after this period.

Greg

My take:-

The 66 P had a maple cap neck, not a fretted maple one-piece a la 50s Classic. So, a maple Standard MIM is closer. Stick in a Wizard Thumper and Robert is your mother's brother...

It's my personal opinion that the cap neck gave the extra raunch, not the pickups. Nearly all current maple neck Fenders have this arrangement, and it does give a harsher, punchier tone.

[quote name='Thunder_Fingers' post='675917' date='Dec 6 2009, 05:35 PM']Has the 'Line 6 BassPod XT Live' been discontinued? The reason I ask this is, some shops say "Sorry this product is no longer available".

Thanks[/quote]

Yes its been discontinued and is replaced by the x3 live, which does everything guitar, bass and vocals, but its alot more cash

We do a few who songs, summertime blues is fun and goes down well (I know its not who, but we cover the who cover!), Wont get fooled again is on our new list, which I am supposed to learn for monday

What kind of gigs will you be doing with the tribute band?

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='678568' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:24 PM']From my experience the hardest sound to get right is his late 70's sound where it was still reasonably clean and he was using the Alembic Explorers. It's just impossible to get that tone even with Alembic I have. On the other hand that's not my favourite tone of his.[/quote]

It's by far [i]my[/i] favourite tone of his.

My favourite Entwistle tone is most definitely circa 1999. Watch "The Vegas Job." Reasonably bassey, but quite a bit of flanging going on in the upper mid and treble register. It may be worth saying that it didn't sound like a bass at that point. On the other hand, use a sound like that at a gig and it's hilarious. The number of people who now aren't sure what instrument you're playing is really amusing. Is that a bass? Looks like it, but doesn't sound like it though.... :)