Why become a member? ×

slap bass , any pros in the house?

cris the man

It depends on what 6 string you're playing. Some budget sixes have a neck more suitable for a five so string spacing can be tight (as tight as 16mm at the bridge). If you're into slapping and popping, you'll find it far easier on a bass with more generous spacing 18 - 19mm. On a six, this makes for quite a wide neck which can be a stretch for someone with small hands.

It' all about the string spacing really - Warwick use 17mm on many of there basses, which makes it tight for pulling on the strings IMO. Look for wider string spacing to make it easier for you - however each player will have his own preferences, many top end companies offer custom string spacing, but 18/19 on a six will be more comfortable for slap but as already said will make for a wider neck, however if you get one with a slim profile this will counter balance this.

Your best option is to try as many 6'ers as poss TBH.

Mark

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='74109' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:27 PM']Mark Kings Status Kingbass has a 16.5mm string spacing, it's the same as his Alembics were, he felt comfortable with it, and so carried it over on to his Status.

My Modulus Q6 has a 17mm spacing, and I find it very comfortable to play, but I don't slap.[/quote]

I have 3 basses with 16.5mm string spacing and have no problems slapping.

played a gig at a sailing club last night
little lad, probably about 12 maybe - "is that what flea plays?" (referring to my stingray)
"yeah" says I, "amongst others. Do you play? Do you want to have a go?"
"what really?" he says all excited

now I can't slap for toffee but this lad put my playing to shame

so yeah, i imagine a stingray is probably quite good for slapping, especially if you've got 12 year old's sized hands!

[quote name='bassman2790' post='74078' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:34 AM']It depends on what 6 string you're playing. Some budget sixes have a neck more suitable for a five so string spacing can be tight (as tight as 16mm at the bridge). If you're into slapping and popping, you'll find it far easier on a bass with more generous spacing 18 - 19mm. On a six, this makes for quite a wide neck which can be a stretch for someone with small hands.[/quote]

ah nice , cheers - i play an edge Q6 (Dean) , its not designed for slapping but i do anyhow becuase i love the sound , theres 13mm gap between each

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='74219' date='Oct 14 2007, 06:08 PM']played a gig at a sailing club last night
little lad, probably about 12 maybe - "is that what flea plays?" (referring to my stingray)
"yeah" says I, "amongst others. Do you play? Do you want to have a go?"
"what really?" he says all excited

now I can't slap for toffee but this lad put my playing to shame

so yeah, i imagine a stingray is probably quite good for slapping, especially if you've got 12 year old's sized hands![/quote]

stringray! is that the new one with the extra pickup? i saw one of those and i really loved it - would the 5 string version have the same gap between each string?

[quote name='cris the man' post='74422' date='Oct 15 2007, 08:31 AM']stringray! is that the new one with the extra pickup? i saw one of those and i really loved it - would the 5 string version have the same gap between each string?[/quote]

No mine's a single humbucker and I've not tried a five so I don't know what the spacing is sorry

In the end I think learning to slap on a 5/6 stringer is ultimately character building :) so I'm quite intrigued to try it out on a 4. That said I've always had problems with hitting the B string so my new bass (now in business post!) is tuned up EADGC instead. I don't like slapping on my Rapture anyway (not to mention the fact I've got medium gauge strings on it!)

I'd chime in and say, with a bit of extra practice, you can slap on any string spacing. Take a look at Bill Dickens, on his 7 and 9 string basses. He uses a 16mm spacing with little trouble. ;o) Come to think of it Mark King plays a 16.5mm spacing on his Alembics and Status basses.

I'd say the right set up on a bass is far more important. However, a few derivative slap styles appear to work better on a wider spacing and lighter strings.

I mainly slap on my 4-stringers as well... 5-ers are good too, but not my KingBass V. I ordered it with the 19mm string spacing, but the graphite neck is sooo resonant that the B string constantly booms as you play. So excellent neck and ultra, ultra fast, but too boomy for the job. Nuff said :)

Getting a Yamaha TRB-6 in the next couple of weeks, so will be commenting on the slappability of that one soon as well.

[quote name='cris the man' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:15 AM' post='74073']
i have a 6 string bass , its hard to slap because there is no gap to slap

ive heard alembic , music man and warwick are good , any suggestions?

MB1. :)

Yeah......STATUS! :huh:

[quote name='cris the man' post='74073' date='Oct 14 2007, 10:15 AM']i have a 6 string bass , its hard to slap because there is no gap to slap

ive heard alembic , music man and warwick are good , any suggestions?[/quote]

Seeing as you've mentioned Alembic I'm going to assume you can afford one :)

If you have one custom built, they'll give you any string spacing you ask for. If you're buying 2nd hand, try to get their 'comfort spacing'. it's a bit wider at the bridge and a bit narrower at the nut than the standard spacing and makes slapping very easy. I have no problems on my 5s and can switch to my mates 6 string europa pretty easily.

interestingly (or maybe not) this isn't the same spacing as mark King has on his alembics - his are wider at the nut and narrower at the bridge.