Why become a member? ×

Woolly Mammoth clone

dirtystatic

[quote name='Toasted' post='672209' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:12 PM']Sure, no problem: [url="http://www.met.police.uk/"]http://www.met.police.uk/[/url][/quote]
[url="http://cms.met.police.uk/met/boroughs/kingston_upon_thames/05crime_prevention/pedal_cycles"]http://cms.met.police.uk/met/boroughs/king...on/pedal_cycles[/url] ?

[quote name='Toasted' post='672209' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:12 PM']Sure, no problem: [url="http://www.met.police.uk/"]http://www.met.police.uk/[/url][/quote]

God, he just never gets tired of bitching does he....

TS, do a search on this site, I believe the thread on building your own was called 'fuzzy elephant' if I recall correctly. If you don't want to build your own (even though this is very cheap and the circuit is very simple) then you might have to start the potentially neverending search through the myriad of bass fuzzes that there are available. The BassFuzz.com reviews on youtube are excellent IMO, good place to start.

If you can use a soldering iron or learn to use one, definitely build one. It's a relatively easy & cheap project.

If not, & you don't want to spend much; another fuzz though different to the WM, that's worth trying & cheap is Danelectro French Toast.

Edited by nick

I've built the WM clone (see my siggie) - not a bad little project. Reckon it probably cost me about 25 quid in parts, including the box. It's a fairly straightforward circuit, just two transistors and dozen passives.

Downside, didn't like my old active bass too much, seemed to be much better with the Ibanez and Squier. Bags of gain (which is not always a bad thing). Worth a punt tho'

HTH, Ian

Doesn't hate active basses, this is a misconception. It just doesn't NECESSARILY work AS well with SOME actives. I use mine with an active bass and it sounds brilliant, but I have seen video reviews of it with other active basses and it sounds like an enormous pile of sh*te. There is also a middle ground, where it just sounds slightly off, but you'd be the only one to notice in all liklihood. It depends on individual basses, but if your main bass is an active then it is important to bear in mind that there may be in issue.

[quote name='cm261' post='673661' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:27 PM']Doesn't hate active basses, this is a misconception. It just doesn't NECESSARILY work AS well with SOME actives. I use mine with an active bass and it sounds brilliant, but I have seen video reviews of it with other active basses and it sounds like an enormous pile of sh*te. There is also a middle ground, where it just sounds slightly off, but you'd be the only one to notice in all liklihood. It depends on individual basses, but if your main bass is an active then it is important to bear in mind that there may be in issue.[/quote]

+1 my Pedulla is a bit marmite with it. The shithouse BEAD precision sounds immense though.

[quote name='cm261' post='673661' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:27 PM']Doesn't hate active basses, this is a misconception. It just doesn't NECESSARILY work AS well with SOME actives. I use mine with an active bass and it sounds brilliant, but I have seen video reviews of it with other active basses and it sounds like an enormous pile of sh*te. There is also a middle ground, where it just sounds slightly off, but you'd be the only one to notice in all liklihood. It depends on individual basses, but if your main bass is an active then it is important to bear in mind that there may be in issue.[/quote]
its the way the negative feedback works, it's very easy to overload and active basses tend to have higher input signals and lower impedance and thus overload the circuit alot easier

[quote name='dangerboy' post='673531' date='Dec 3 2009, 06:54 PM'](...) but it hates active basses.[/quote]
I never tried but a 50k-100k potentiometer in series with the input should help control the input inpedance. It might be worth trying.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='673531' date='Dec 3 2009, 06:54 PM']I don't understand Toasted's comment.[/quote]
I don't either.

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gonna have a crack at building one (what I mean is - I'm going to force my mate to do it for me). I was wondering about the active/passive issue as my main bass of choice is active...

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='673905' date='Dec 4 2009, 08:30 AM']I never tried but a 50k-100k potentiometer in series with the input should help control the input inpedance. It might be worth trying.[/quote]

...so if i build the pedal and it doesn't agree with my ATK300 I could this might be a possible fix?

And I don't understand toasted's comment either. Something to do with the police, the fuzz.. I give up!

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='674053' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:51 AM']Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gonna have a crack at building one (what I mean is - I'm going to force my mate to do it for me). I was wondering about the active/passive issue as my main bass of choice is active...

...so if i build the pedal and it doesn't agree with my ATK300 I could this might be a possible fix?

(...)[/quote]

I am not 100% sure but it might help. I would suggest you try before drilling holes in the box. If it works you can add an extra knob to control the input impedance.

[quote name='dirtystatic' post='674053' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:51 AM']Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm gonna have a crack at building one (what I mean is - I'm going to force my mate to do it for me). I was wondering about the active/passive issue as my main bass of choice is active...

...so if i build the pedal and it doesn't agree with my ATK300 I could this might be a possible fix?[/quote]
It certainly didn't agree with my old ATK305 - found that my current passive basses are much easier to tame. Still, YMMV

Best of luck with the build. Feel free to PM me for the diagrams/stripboard layout that I used

Ian

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='673901' date='Dec 4 2009, 08:24 AM']???[/quote]
haha sorry shouldn't post while falling asleep.

I've built a few of these now with a 47k pot on the input, it's great because you can dial in the perfect amount of input signal with any bass that way.

Hello.
I've recently bought a Bass Big Muff and I'm really pleased with it. Works great on a variety of basses(I tried about 6 in the shop where I bought it from) and can go from slightly overdriven to full on psycho and everything inbetween. Its great.
I am however also in the "Build your Own" fold and am collecting all the various bits to build one. Am sourcing a bunch of expensive and rare bits for a experiment. Should be fun.
I'm getting bits from hificollective .co.uk, they got some cool things.

Edited by septicrat