Why become a member? ×

Upgrade help!

Fiorenza2

So it's nearing X'mas, and the parents are asking me what I'd like. After some negotiating, they've agreed to spend around £90 on upgrading my bass. This leads me to two possibilities, neither of which I have much experience with;

1) Adding a J pickup: My current Squier VM Precision Bass has a Wizard Thumper in it, so I was thinking about complementing it with a J pickup such as the Wizard 84s. This would require a cavity route, which I'm planning to get from Guitar Aid (www.guitaraid.co.uk). Is this really worth it, or will the J pickup not add much and just get in the way (I'm one of those plectrum near bridge players you see)?

2) Setup+Fret level: My bass currently has the same action/neck bow recommended by the Fender website. However, this feels a bit high for me, and is the lowest I can get the action before I reach buzz city ( especially on the G string). Would a fret level and setup work wonders? Or is my action fine as it is? I say I play with an average touch. If I were to get this done, it would also be at Guitar Aid (because it's local).

I'll also have an opportunity for new strings, and I was think about Hi Beams. Will these be too harsh sonically, as I play plectrum style near the bridge? I currently have a set of nearly dead D'Addario XL170s.

Thanks for reading!

Phil

A Jazz pickup will add some more tonal options. But do you want that? Are you unhappy with the current tone of the bass?.
Make sure that the people doing the routing really know what they're doing, try to see some other examples of their work. You'll need to specify where the pickup will be added, you don't want it too close to the bridge or it will sound weak.

A setup is always worth doing, and really shouldn't cost you more than £40-50 + strings.

Si

Greetings.

Thanks for the link, they look potentially useful.

As to your questions... Hmmm...

I'm with Sibob on the pickup (especially on the routing) - my concern is that you'd find a J down by the bridge too toppy given your style. Has anywhere local to you got anything with a P/J arrangement that you could try? Wouldn't necessarily duplicate your tone, but could give you an idea.

My money would go on the setup - especially the idea of a fretstone/level. I took my '81 Aria TSB-400 up to the Bass Galley in Camden & got that done - felt like a new bass when I got it back! Fag-paper low action & no buzzes all the way up - admittedly I did spend 10 mins with the allen keys tweaking the action up a touch & adding a tad more relief in the neck to suit my style, you may find the same (if so, they ought to do that when you're there).

Looking at GuitarAid's rates they seem fair, but I'd check if the re-stone price includes a setup or not (if it does that's fantastic value - the Gallery charge £75!).

Strings - can't help there I'm afraid. It can be a long & wiggly path finding strings you really like. What sort of stuff are you playing? that might give us a clue.

Pete.

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for getting back so late, I had a busy week with school work and all that.

Judging by the responses, I think I'll leave the PJ option for now, and get atleast a set up and strings.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone used Greg of Guitar Aid before? The testimonials suggest he's pretty good at what he does, and his rates appear pretty decent. I think it's £75 for a fret level and full set-up, which is the same as the Gallery charges for just the levelling. Plus it's easier for me to get to Guitar Aid.

As for strings, I heard some clips of Hi-beams w/ plectrum style, and it sounded pretty grindy. I much preffered a clip of the same setup with Black Beauties. However, the price is a tad too steep for my liking. I see TI Jazz Flats being recommended; would these give me too thumpy of a sound due to their flatwound nature. How do D'addario Chromes compare?

I'm looking for something that will give me a strong fundamental as well as some high end clarity when playing more melodic passages.

Thanks again!
Phil

[quote name='Fiorenza2' post='674980' date='Dec 5 2009, 03:08 PM']Thanks for the replies! Sorry for getting back so late, I had a busy week with school work and all that.

Judging by the responses, I think I'll leave the PJ option for now, and get atleast a set up and strings.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone used Greg of Guitar Aid before? The testimonials suggest he's pretty good at what he does, and his rates appear pretty decent. I think it's £75 for a fret level and full set-up, which is the same as the Gallery charges for just the levelling. Plus it's easier for me to get to Guitar Aid.

Thanks again!
Phil[/quote]

Greetings,

Haven't used Greg, but did e-mail him with a couple of queries rgarding som ancient (80s!) rack gear I've got that needs some TLC. His response was quick - very commendable - but of the "drop it in & I'll see what I can do, my rates are £20 p/h" variety, which I felt was a tad poor especially as I'd given details of the problems, offered photos of varous bespoke components AND clearly stated that I didn't have money to burn. On this basis I'll be wary of going there - I'm not slagging him off - I'm just disappointed by the response.

The Gallery chuck in a setup as part of the levelling. If found their work to be superb - nobody else is touching my basses from now on.

Wherever you choose to go, get as low & slick a setup as possible. If the action's too low it's dead easy to tweak it up a bit (5 mins & 2 allen keys) - harder to take it down. The Gallery have done two levels & setups for me that were fag-paper low - waayyy too low for me but a piece of p to tweak to taste.

Pete.