Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass for sale - Withdrawn - will be parting out except for neck

King Tut

There's only room in a man's life for so many Jazz basses - and I have a few. Consequently, I'd like to move this one on. The body of this bass was bought as part of a complete Jazz bass, that I believe dates from [b]197[/b]4, judging from the logo, screw holes, neck stamp etc. Unfortunately it had been well buggered about - badly defretted and routed for EMG soapbars.

I've used the neck for a more traditional project and put the rest together with a neck I bought on here - so here's the deal . . .

[b]1974 body[/b] - refinished in [b]Nitro[/b] white - routed for EMG's - battery compartment routed beneath the scratchplate - big enough for 2 PP3's - it's wired 18 volts. There are a couple of dinks in the paint - but nothing major.

[b]Allpart[/b]s (Licensed by Fender) block and bound neck with [b]Rosewood fretboard.
[/b]
[b]EMG soapbars[/b] - [b]DC[/b] in the neck position, [b]TW[/b] in the bridge position with a push pull volume control for coil tap.

[b]Gotoh 201[/b] bridge.

The machine heads came with the neck - branded 'Fender' but not sure of their origin - look the part and work fine.

The bass is resonant with no obvious dead spots - the bathroom scales show it as around 8 lb - but obviously that's not going to be dreadfully accurate.

So on to the pics:

As for a price - I've a fair idea what I could get for the bits if I were to split it, but it would obviously be easier for me to sell it as a whole - so so I'm looking for £450 collected from Milton Keynes including a hard case.
Would possibly be interested in a trade but would prefer a straight sale.

I would prefer this bass was collected - being a 'put together' bass I'd sooner a buyer try it and be sure they're happy with it before it's sold. I could post it but this would be dependant on being able to resource a bass sized box. I could also meet a potential buyer at London Midland stations between Euston and Birmingham.

Let me know what you reckon guys!

Edited by King Tut

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='670277' date='Nov 30 2009, 06:55 PM']Seriously that neck looks amazing.[/quote]
It's exactly what I'm after, block and bound, I really like the idea of the soaps too. The only thing I don't like is the decal, the custom offset one is in the wrong place (I think, I'm no expert). I just have this feeling it's worth more as parts :)

Action -

E string 20th fret 2.3 mm
G string 20th fret 2.8 mm (approx!)

They're active EMG pickups wired to a passive volume and tone controls.

She plays nice - if anyone's [b]seriously[/b] interested i could post some sound clips - but I'm a busy bloke so don't ask for them unless you really want them!!

Yeah - the 'offset' bit is in the wrong place - I think the guy who did it should have cut the decal in two. There's a nice little bit of flame going on up near the headstock - I love the neck and I'm tempted to get another body with normal routs to stick it on - but I've got too many Jazzes as it is!

I think you might be right Silddx - I've seen similar necks with tuners going on here for near £200 - and I'd get a bit for the pups as well - lets see what happens! Would be a shame for this body to be wasted though cos she sounds good if you like the EMG thing!

[quote name='silddx' post='670284' date='Nov 30 2009, 07:01 PM']It's exactly what I'm after, block and bound, I really like the idea of the soaps too. The only thing I don't like is the decal, the custom offset one is in the wrong place (I think, I'm no expert). I just have this feeling it's worth more as parts :)[/quote]

I was just saying I think rosewood necks look stunning with blocks and binding.

[quote name='King Tut' post='670315' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:21 PM']Guys - note I've edited this - the body has a route beneath the scratchplate for 2 PP3's - so many bottles of wine - so few brain cells left!![/quote]

That's a shame... I like the sans pickguard option on a Jazz.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='670390' date='Nov 30 2009, 08:33 PM']Higher on the G string than the E string... is that correct or a typo? Only ask as it's usual to have it the other way around. :rolleyes: :)[/quote]

Funny that as I was reading some reviews of the latest American Standard Jazz and P basses from a couple of years ago. The P supplied had the G lower than the E, the Jazz supplied had the G higher than the E.

[quote name='silddx' post='670537' date='Nov 30 2009, 10:43 PM']Funny that as I was reading some reviews of the latest American Standard Jazz and P basses from a couple of years ago. The P supplied had the G lower than the E, the Jazz supplied had the G higher than the E.[/quote]

Standard set-up on basses is that the E is slightly higher than the G (due to the physics of string oscillation)... not sure why you'd ever have the G higher than the E! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='670559' date='Nov 30 2009, 11:03 PM']Standard set-up on basses is that the E is slightly higher than the G (due to the physics of string oscillation)... not sure why you'd ever have the G higher than the E! :)[/quote]
Yeah I know, very odd.

Re the neck pocket - It's a 70's Fender so it's not perfect. With the old neck it was sloppy. This neck seems to be slightly thicker - maybe more finish on it? Consequently the fit - while not perfect - is adequate. I can post pics if required.

The action was a typo - here's what it is . . .

E string 2.8 mm.
G string 2.2 mm at the 20th fret (approx!)

I've decided I'd accept £450 for this collected from Milton Keynes - any takers?