Why become a member? ×

P Bass/valve amp/single coil..Noise?

Jigster

Been enjoying a recently acquired Orange head - all valve etc - and noticed how the P bass emits so much more hum - of course single coils are noisy buggers, but it's more noticable on the valve than solid state amps I've used before..

Any thoughts on this, ie.might it be about cavity shielding (there is none in the one I'm using)? the nature of valve amps interacting with single coils etc..?

And how much might this transmit to 'tape' if I chose to record with this rig..??

Ta

hum is either from bass, lead or head.

touch a string. If the buzz goes it's the earthing.
turn down the volume on the bass. If it goes, its the bass or pups.
use another new lead. If it goes its the lead.

other wise its the amp, or the way you are using it.

try more gain and less volume on it. (or less gain more volume, but i guess it would be the other)

You have to accept a certain amount of noise when playing P-basses through valve amps (my setup too). Have you got an earthing problem on the bass? If when you touch the strings / bridge / tone knob it goes quieter than copper tape is the answer. Otherwise it may just e that this is a noisy set up. You can learn to love the hum.

Sorry was typing mine as Luke typed the same

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='668520' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:40 PM']You have to accept a certain amount of noise when playing P-basses through valve amps (my setup too). Have you got an earthing problem on the bass? If when you touch the strings / bridge / tone knob it goes quieter than copper tape is the answer. Otherwise it may just e that this is a noisy set up. You can learn to love the hum.

Sorry was typing mine as Luke typed the same[/quote]
If it's just a split Precision pickup the coils [i]can[/i] be wired 'in phase by mistake', which will lead to single coil-esque humming with no apparent change to the tone or output. It's a peculiarity of split coils.

I use my Precision through a valve amp and it's no noisier than my humbucker equipped, fully screened EB......

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='henry norton' post='668609' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:57 PM']If it's just a split Precision pickup the coils [i]can[/i] be wired 'in phase by mistake', which will lead to single coil-esque humming with no apparent change to the tone or output. It's a peculiarity of split coils.

I use my Precision through a valve amp and it's no noisier than my humbucker equipped, fully screened EB......[/quote]

I must confess that mine sounds great (tone, not necessarily the playing). I had this with my older 80s P bass and it was nothing some copper tape and a good clean out didn't sort out. But yes, good point

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='668518' date='Nov 28 2009, 05:39 PM']hum is either from bass, lead or head.

touch a string. If the buzz goes it's the earthing.
turn down the volume on the bass. If it goes, its the bass or pups.
use another new lead. If it goes its the lead.

other wise its the amp, or the way you are using it.

try more gain and less volume on it. (or less gain more volume, but i guess it would be the other)[/quote]

What he said....... :)

It could be the big hefty transformers in the valve amp are creating more potential interference than those in a solid state amp.

Does the noise vary as you move the bass about ? If so then it's hum that's being "picked up" by the bass from an external source. Shielding the bass cavities might help here but you can never predict how successful this will be.

If the noise is constant, no matter where you stand or what angle the bass is held at, then it's something else.

Yes, it probably would transmit to tape if you recorded with it.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='henry norton' post='668609' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:57 PM']If it's just a split Precision pickup the coils [i]can[/i] be wired 'in phase by mistake', which will lead to single coil-esque humming with no apparent change to the tone or output. It's a peculiarity of split coils.[/quote]

Just fitted a Dimarzio pup to mine and it hummed loudly through someone elses's amp last week.
It doesn't hum at home (Roland Cube) I suspect I may have wired the two halves together incorrectly.
What's the right way?

Thanks