Why become a member? ×

Fender JV '57 Precision - early 80s model

matski

Here's something sure to upset all you Fender JV purists :)

Below are piccies of my 1957 model Precision - one of those ones with the big Fender logo and the little Squier Series logo.

Before you all start banging on about "but it's not totally original, parts have been replaced, and it's been refinished!!!", let me tell you a story...

I bought this bass back in '84, a bloke down the pub sidled up to me and shiftily said "you play bass, dont'cha? Wanna buy a Fender for 50 quid?" Well, who was I to refuse...? When I first got hold of it the colour was vintage sunburst with anodized gold pickguard and the original Fender vintage stylee bridge and tuners. However it was missing something crucial - pickups, so I put DiMarzios in.

All was well and good until a few years later when I left it with a friend. As I had already had an Aria SB and had acquired 2 MusicMan basses by then, and thought "well it's only a Squier" I wasn't too bothered about it. Then I left the UK and forgot all about it...

Well to cut a long story short, about 6 months ago I came across some information on the internet about the JV series, and how highly regarded they are. I saw a pic of the selfsame big Fender/little Squier headstock and remembered all about my old chestnut.

I quickly called up the guy who I had left my Precision with and asked if he still had it. The answer was yes, so I hastily made arrangements to get it back again.

I was all excited until the thing actually landed back in my grubby mitts - it had been badly resprayed with black car paint, had a white pickguard with a big sticker on it, the DiMarzios were rusted to buggery, the tone tone pot had ceased to function, the knobs were corroded and the original hardware was gone and had been replaced with Schaller tuners and a Gotoh bridge. Even the chrome neck plate with the all-important JV serial number had gone. Rats!

Since then it has been stripped and refinished in a rather fetching transparent black which lets the grain of the wood peek through (I'm a sucker for black and maple basses) , a brand new black Fender pickguard and new Fender knobs have been fitted, the tone pot has been replaced, and I fitted a set of early Japanese Fender pickups.

All in all, I'm rather pleased with the result.

Enjoy! Or start wailing and gnashing your teeth :rolleyes:

PS: anyone know the best way to remove those unsightly stains on the edge of the neck (where the varnish has worn away and nasty sweaty grubbiness has taken hold...)

sweet :)

[quote name='matski' post='667349' date='Nov 27 2009, 01:45 PM']PS: anyone know the best way to remove those unsightly stains on the edge of the neck (where the varnish has worn away and nasty sweaty grubbiness has taken hold...)[/quote]

I'd say leave them, adds a touch of mojo.