Why become a member? ×

Which Tiny Portable Practice Amp

Smash

Hi, I need a tiny practice amp, has to be around 5kg, be good quality and have a fairly small footprint as I will be carrying it in a backpack.

My options are:

Roland Bass Cube RX - Cheap but not sure if it will be loud or good enough
Markbass Micromark - Love this size and Markbass tone but expensive
Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-8T - Will have the best sound and be able to use the head with other cabs but again expensive.

I like all of the above but cannot decide, has to be able to play with one guitar with pedals.

[quote name='sk8' post='665904' date='Nov 26 2009, 08:54 AM']i have the Shuttle 3.0-10T combo and it is great as a preactice amp but it does sooooooooooooo much more as well :)[/quote]
Yeah I am really tempted by these, as I like the option of adding another cab if needed for a small gig... trouble is the 8 and the 10 are roughly the same price but the size is quite a bit different and think the 10 maybe hard to stick in a back pack because of this.

[quote name='Smash' post='665917' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:04 AM']Yeah I am really tempted by these, as I like the option of adding another cab if needed for a small gig... trouble is the 8 and the 10 are roughly the same price but the size is quite a bit different and think the 10 maybe hard to stick in a back pack because of this.[/quote]
i remeber the GB guys on TB saying if size is THE most important factor go for the 8 if not go for the 10. There are both awesome and cute in a bite your hand of type of way!!

[quote name='sk8' post='666038' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:18 AM']i remeber the GB guys on TB saying if size is THE most important factor go for the 8 if not go for the 10. There are both awesome and cute in a bite your hand of type of way!![/quote]
I am warming to these alot, what I am thinking though is adding a 1x15 cab for med size gigs wonder how the 8 would sound with a 15? as it would be nice to push a few highs out ove the 15" cab.

[quote name='Smash' post='666048' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:26 AM']I am warming to these alot, what I am thinking though is adding a 1x15 cab for med size gigs wonder how the 8 would sound with a 15? as it would be nice to push a few highs out ove the 15" cab.[/quote]
i used the 10 with a 12 under it and it was fine. If you can try it before you buy but i don't see why it wouldn't work. The 3.0 at 4 ohms really is a different animal

[quote name='BassBod' post='666049' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:28 AM']I'd suggest a used GK Microbass combo - they really are small and pretty light and can gig very well (with DI). Can't really go wrong with one?[/quote]
I had one for a few years, still a tad too heavy to lug in the bag, even though it sounded nice.

[quote name='sk8' post='666051' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:30 AM']i used the 10 with a 12 under it and it was fine. If you can try it before you buy but i don't see why it wouldn't work. The 3.0 at 4 ohms really is a different animal[/quote]
so with the full 4ohm load it really opens up then, just checking the cab ratings 8" 175w 95db and the 10" 2002 97db just as if adding a 15" I would want a near match, hmmm now to do the maths.

at 4 ohms it really does open up. the 8 is just soooooooooooooooo tiny. its is only a 300 watt amp but within its limits i don't think it can be beaten. Thinking about it i used the 10 with a compact which is a 15 and it was fine.

Do it, do it, do it, do it :)

[quote name='sk8' post='666079' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:45 AM']at 4 ohms it really does open up. the 8 is just soooooooooooooooo tiny. its is only a 300 watt amp but within its limits i don't think it can be beaten. Thinking about it i used the 10 with a compact which is a 15 and it was fine.

Do it, do it, do it, do it :)[/quote]
haha well looks like I might well be joining you if I shift a couple of basses... the BF compact is exactly what I wanted to pair it with too, did it sound ok then?

[quote name='Smash' post='666094' date='Nov 26 2009, 11:59 AM']haha well looks like I might well be joining you if I shift a couple of basses... the BF compact is exactly what I wanted to pair it with too, did it sound ok then?[/quote]okay yes, brilliant no, but that could be just my experience the Compact.

[quote name='sk8' post='666116' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:08 PM']okay yes, brilliant no, but that could be just my experience the Compact.[/quote]
Hmm could be back to the drawing board then.... not sure if 175 watts GB 3.0 through a compact would work that well, think it needs to be pushed. I do however have an MB LMK but then I am not sure how well the 8" GB cab would be with the MB head and Compact cab.