Why become a member? ×

Musicman fretless 4 string custom

Snarf

THIS BASS IS NOW SOLD

Up for sale is my Musicman fretless in translucent green. The body is a Sabre body with twin humbuckers, dated in the neck pocket at 16th August 1988 with a newer neck (dated 14th September 1999) and a custom built bridge. The previous owner told me this work was done by the Bass Gallery in London, although I can't verify this unfortunately. I bought this bass about 4 years ago now and have only used it a couple of times live. This is such a fantastic bass to play - the action is great and the tone is awesome, although it would probably benefit more from flatwound strings instead of roundwounds.

Condition is used - as the body is over 20 years old, there are some dings and marks and the pickup covers are cracked a bit. The neck is in good condition, there are a couple of dings on the headstock right on the end though.

SOLD

Here's a few pics -

There are a few more here - [url="http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/Bunnylourdesyourmum/Musicman%20fretless/"]http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/Bun...man%20fretless/[/url]

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Snarf

[quote name='budget bassist' post='658113' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:12 PM']appears to be genuine MM, pretty sure you can't buy aftermarket necks, and looks too nice to be an OLP! (plus the decal)[/quote]

Good point BB, I should have said 'custom' or 'modified'. I guess most important would be whether it's all fretless board included - original MM
Cheers
Chris

Spooky - I've got a pre-EB Sabre neck (fretless conversion) that I put a custom Stingray body on!
Put these two together, and you could make a couple of basses that make a bit more sense than they do right now...... :) :rolleyes:

Hi Nick, the neck is a Stingray neck... I used to own a fretted Stingray and both necks felt pretty much the same, string spacing and all.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='659686' date='Nov 19 2009, 09:42 PM']Spooky - I've got a pre-EB Sabre neck (fretless conversion) that I put a custom Stingray body on!
Put these two together, and you could make a couple of basses that make a bit more sense than they do right now...... :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Hah, no way! Damn, that's a nice looking bass. I do agree though, they would make more sense with bits swapped over! Where did you find the pre-EB neck?

[quote name='Snarf' post='659909' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:58 AM']Hah, no way! Damn, that's a nice looking bass. I do agree though, they would make more sense with bits swapped over! Where did you find the pre-EB neck?[/quote]

Came with my fretted (maple) '80 Sabre as a "spare" - it had a fretted rosewood board but someone had overtightened the truss rod and slightly split the board at the top end, also lost the truss rod adjust nut. Otherwise fine - I had a local luthier put an African Blackwood fretless board on, check the truss rod was OK, and he found a Fender bullet truss rod nut that fitted.

Lovely body colour on yours - I'm guessing it's a later period (mid '80's?) one as it's got the pole-less p/ups.

That's good news the damage to the neck wasn't too bad, certainly looks like it's been restored a treat. Bet it plays well too.

Awesome, I wasn't too sure when it would have been made. It's good to have an estimate on how old it actually is!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shaggy' post='659686' date='Nov 19 2009, 09:42 PM']Spooky - I've got a pre-EB Sabre neck (fretless conversion) that I put a custom Stingray body on!
Put these two together, and you could make a couple of basses that make a bit more sense than they do right now...... :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Holy-effin-Christ that is amazing! What a stunning bass!

• 1 month later...

This looks like my least favourite musicman colour - teal green.

For some reason the combination of the 2 pickups, black scratchplate and fretless neck make the colour look really nice on this particular bass - so much so that if i was looking for another fretless I'd be all over this one

I know what you mean about the bridge, I always meant to get a proper Musicman replacement one but haven't got around to it! It depends on what you've got for trade, but I'd prefer hard moneys for it as I need to fix my car (again) and clear some of the evil credit card.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='740187' date='Feb 9 2010, 05:39 PM']This looks like my least favourite musicman colour - teal green.

For some reason the combination of the 2 pickups, black scratchplate and fretless neck make the colour look really nice on this particular bass - so much so that if i was looking for another fretless I'd be all over this one[/quote]

Know what you mean there too, it's also not my fave colour, but I really like it on this bass. I've never been wild about the looks of Musicman basses, but I love the twin pickup ones!