Why become a member? ×

Earth, Wind and Fire

thedontcarebear

I would have a guess by saying 70's Jazz bass, strung with heavy roundwounds, medium action, plucked heavierly over the front pickup. Mr White's tone is a real growler!! on tunes like fantasy and september the bass has a real cutting quality, sounds like DI signal to me, not much "tone compresion" (associated with recorded bass amps).

A good bass with front pickup soloed, and heavy plucking should do. the tone is in the hand though dude!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='655867' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:59 AM']How can I get that sort of sound in the studio? Recording a funky sounding song in a few weeks, [b]and I bum[/b] Earth, Wind and Fire so would quite like a tone a bit like Verdine White used to get.[/quote]
:)

Verdine is a great musician, big part of my early bass practice routines.

I would lay a bet on flat wounds. No doubt DI, very clean playing (so maybe wind the action up a little and cut fingernails!).

Couldn't guess at the pickup though, someone with more Jazz Bass experience than I will have to advise on this.

Nice and simple, but classy.

I did read once that verdines early recordings he used an old 50,s precision with flats, ive a great early concert on DVD where he,s using a white late 60,s/early 70,s jazz (block markers) with what look like dimarzios in and it sounds great - lee

I gave up on copying him, and just went with something I liked the sound of, and this is the result from earlier today: -

[url="http://www.myspace.com/stringfinger"]http://www.myspace.com/stringfinger[/url]