Why become a member? ×

Stagg!!!!

mikeh

Sticking the end-pin into the hole in the top of a drum stool wouldn't work in the way I am looking to achieve - my desired result would be like this:

I can just walk up to it, play, then move on the regular 4 string leaving the whole thing standing firmly in place whilst doing either. That's the plan, anyway.

A regular boom cymbal stand would be ok for the tripod bass and upright

It is how I get the bass to fix onto this that I am querying, really.

I have the original stagg stand for the eub. It has a fork at the bottom, so that you can slot the endpin in it. What you could go it to replace that with a clamp or something like that, so that the bass won't turn when you play it.

The bass also has a strap button at back, just at the heel, where it would be in an electric bass. You could build an attachment for a drum stool with a slot at the top and a clamp at the bottom, so that you can slide the strap button in at the top, and clamp the endpin at the bottom. You could make the end clamp jut out of the stand enough to give it the right angle relative to vertical...

Food for thought, thanks. Although I'd like to leave the end pin out of the equation completely, really, in the way the NS Design one does.

More ideas I had - using the bracket that fixes to the bottom of a drum stool - take it off the stool, bolt the bracket onto the body of the bass them slot that into the cymbal stand. Should be able to adjust the angle of the dangle as well. Assuming all the bits are the same diameter.

Stagg themselves do a laptop stand that I guess could be modified .
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stagg-COS-10-BK-Laptop/dp/B003SFABT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426346948&sr=8-1&keywords=stagg+cos+10+by+laptop+stand+-+black"]http://www.amazon.co...p+stand+-+black[/url]

I wonder if one of these might actually do the job, too? Heavy duty music stand.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360848354708?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360848354708?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

The gubbins at the back of the flat plate looks like it would be an ideal fixing for the back of the bass. Might need to keep the end pin, though, to help with the weight. I'll take a look at one in a music shop and see what I think.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1426155889' post='2714944']
I did the replacement as suggested here, but the results are not pleasing for me. The sound is a lot louder, but also middier and with an almost hollow quality to it. Critically, the bass sounds always on the verge of saturation. Even at low volume, the bass now gives a lot more unpleasant harmonics on the E, A and D strings. I wonder if the signal is too strong and the preamp can't cope very well...

I'm going to try and change the shape of the coiling of the piezos in the bridge anchor pits, but any piece of advice will be welcome!
[/quote]

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the new piezos are a lot 'hotter' than the stock Stagg ones, but you can use the trim pots on the preamp board to calm them down. After a bit of experimentation with levels I'm very happy with the sound of the new pickups.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1426522120' post='2718794']
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the new piezos are a lot 'hotter' than the stock Stagg ones, but you can use the trim pots on the preamp board to calm them down. After a bit of experimentation with levels I'm very happy with the sound of the new pickups.
[/quote]

I have worked the input levels on the amp and the bass, and the sound is good now. Adding a piece of neoprene under the string afterlength helped with resonance at higher volumes, making the bass thumpier and more controlled.

[quote name='Erik' timestamp='1426518232' post='2718732']
@Paul: I do have a few of those stands including one that looks very, very similar and I am pretty sure that this not sturdy enough to take the weight of the Stagg. Maybe with endpin in place it might work.
[/quote]

I had a look at one last night and you are quite right - too flimsy. I need to have a peek at the laptop stand and also there are TV monitor stands that are similar. Failing that the cymbal stand is much sturdier. Or just upgrade to an NS Design and be done with it! :)

Checking around various dealers the shipping weight of the Stagg EDB34 is usually about 21-22 pounds as opposed to the NXT4 which is under 13 pounds.That may explain why the Stagg stand is so large.I have a Stagg stand and use it to hold the unwieldy beast at home and between sets at gigs but I don't use it when I'm playing it although apparently some people do.I find it easy to use when I am switching from the Stagg to my EB at gigs and the size and weight of the stand makes it safe and secure.I would rather have the weight properly supported and avoid disasters. I like to use the end pin because it makes me feel like I'm playing a "real" bass and I can move around while playing.Guess I'm a wannabe DB player.
Good luck with your project.
Bob in Canada

Another thought-some welding and fabrication shops have very creative people who might be able to make exactly what you need and you have input in the design.

Edited by Staggering on

I made a headless EUB using Stag innards and used a cymbal stand to mount it, so I could walk away and leave it stood there, then return and play it. It was not 100% successful...I'll take some photos over the w/e and explain what/how I did it. The bottom line however is that a cymbal stand is not really robust enough. I looked at music stands too but more at the weekend!

Edited by yorks5stringer

That got me curious. My Stagg weighs around 14lbs, so for some reason a good deal lighter.

Mr 5 stringer - look forward to seeing that!

I am currently looking at tattoo arm/leg rests, along the lines of this:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Getbetterlife-Black-Arm-Leg-Rest-Portable-Adjustable-Chair-Tattoo-Supply-Set-/271772349374?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM&hash=item3f46e4f3be"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Getbetterlife-Black-Arm-Leg-Rest-Portable-Adjustable-Chair-Tattoo-Supply-Set-/271772349374?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM&hash=item3f46e4f3be [/url]

Today I tried playing my Stagg on the stand and it is possible by moving the neck support down so it holds the body.By lowering the bracket that holds the end pin it gets to a reasonable playing height.I don't plan to use it this way but it could work well if you modified the neck support bracket or replaced it with something to attach the body directly to the stand.Seems simpler than trying to modify something else since most of the bits are already in place.I like to move when I play so it's not for me.

Below is a handlebar mounted camera gubbins, I bought two and tapped the threads to fit my mounting plate- I tapped the threads as the die I had was not the same thread size. If you could find them the same then it would not be an issue.

[attachment=186958:P1040118.JPG]

I then bought a couple of rubber bungs, drilled them out to fit over the cymbal stand extension bar

[attachment=186959:P1040120.JPG]

I made this mounting plate out of aluminium, sprayed it black and died? the holes to fit the camera mounts

[attachment=186960:P1040122.JPG]

This shows the mounts attached to the plate, the threads screw in and then tighten, like a on a camera

[attachment=186961:P1040123.JPG]

Below shows how it is mounted on the stand

[attachment=186962:P1040125.JPG]

A couple of other views

[attachment=186963:P1040126.JPG]
[attachment=186964:P1040127.JPG]

The EUB was made so I could try something small enough to fit my back seat rather than a long bugger like the Stagg! It's actually 44.5" long and fits in a soft shotgun bag! Obviously its headless and the Tuners sit underneath the neck so there is little headstock length and little after the bridge in length either. Stag owners will recognise the electronic bits from theirs, I made the bridge myself (along with the rest of the Bass) and Alan from ACG kindly gave me the brass headless mounting plate for the strings. Tuners are Hipshots and I bought the battery box somewhere! I bought the ebony board from China, made to my specs! I made the "body bought" too.
The biggest issue is because the strings go back round themselves to the tuners, even though they sit on brass rollers they only stretch from the bridge contact point to the tuning pegs and are prone to snapping. I have low tension strings on it the moment.
Also there is too much play in the cheap cymbal stand and because I used rubber mounting bungs (see photo 2) its all a bit wibbly wobbly! Also I did not set the neck at an angle (like on the Stagg and Double Basses) reasoning I could achieve this with the stand but really I should have put an angle on the neck and then glued it to the board.

So a cheap cymbal stand (£15?) does not work because it's too light and also because I am tall (6'3") it's at full extension. Shorter players may not have these issues. I also used the same mounting system with a camera monopod for the EUB rather than do a spike. Looks a bit daft attached to a glorified walking stick like what your Nan uses!

Oh, because I could only put the mounting plate in one place on the Bass as it would impinge on the Tuners, it meant the mounting place was a bit high up the Bass. On the 5th and last photo you can see a wooden stabiliser bar I made with Velcro on the end that sits on Velcro on the Bass to provide more stability. I say this because choosing the right place place to attach a stand to your Stagg will be critical...!

Hope this all helps, sorry if it seems a highjack but maybe some of my experiences with my EUB might help you with putting a stand on yours?

Edited by yorks5stringer

Y5S - that is really helpful. Many thanks. Have to say that looks the business, too.

I had a little lash up yesterday using the tripod stand from a cheap lights set I have, a couple of cable ties and some gaffer tape. As you say - getting the mount somewhere near the balance point of the bass would seem the key issue - I varied the footprint quite a bit and, if the bass is balanced, you can actually get away with a 'fairly' small spread on the tripod. If not, and/or you use the endpin for balance/weight distribution, the whole thing tips unless the spread is wide. Plus I am 5" shorter than you, so the whole thing would be less wobbly to start with.

I think I will take the plunge on something I have seen on eBay and report back after I've had a go. Meanwhile thanks everyone for the input :)

OK, I think my plan has gone well.

I bought one of these on eBay - a tatto arm/leg rest [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371198615942?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

And here it is on the bass:

[attachment=187404:stagg1.jpg][attachment=187405:stagg2.jpg]

I was worried when it arrived today that the whole thing seemed a bit flimsy but, once I got the balance point sorted out, it sits on the tripod quite nicely. You really have to move it some way before it starts to tilt. And the quick release bracket fits on a treat, straddling the large rout along the back and screwing nicely into good wood at the sides. It remains to be seen how long the tightening nut for the tilt lasts before I have to look more closely at it but, for now, it all seems to have worked out well. Compared to the Stagg stand, it is a lightweight, quick, easy to operate and rather elegant solution, I think. Cheap, too :)

:) That was plan B if it didn't work out. I've got a rusty old needle somewhere and some drawing ink...

The stand extends to 120cm according to the blurb. Mine is extended to 83cm (just checked) but I do think if it were a lot higher it would start getting wobbly as the tripod spread isn't huge. It all came down to where the bass is balanced, I think - and that's the gamble. It was a little tricky to work out as the bracket is offset slightly, and so you have to kind of extrapolate (first time I've used that word this year, I think) where the balance point would be. Gawd bless gaffa tape. :) I might remove the end-pin and see what effect that has - may make it top heavy, I don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I recorded some swing versions of pop songs with my band, using the stagg EUB with innovation strings, artec piezos, through a TC rh450 and a hartke 4x10 cab. The playing is quite dodgy, as i'm not very good yet, and we haven't been doing this very long as a band, but here it is anyway

https://soundcloud.com/marco-razeto/heatwave-swing

(trite old song, but hey!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di63Loly3No

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had the issue when playing the Stagg EUB that when you pluck the A string and come to rest on the E string the boom or bang of the finger coming to rest on the E string is louder than the damn note on the A? Doesn't happen on any other string apart from plucking A. Is there anyway to solve this? Cheers