Why become a member? ×

Little Mark 1 and 2. What is the difference?

jmsjabb

LMI is quite a bit different. Heavier at about 16 lbs IIRC. Larger box size too. LMI 280/450Watts LMII 300/500 Watts although I don't think you'd hear any difference. LMII is less than half the weight and size.

LMI lacks the scoop knob. They sound very similar. Both are great amps.

Frank.

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='652975' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:06 PM']OK, please help me out.
what is a scoop knob?
What are the VLE and VPF dials?[/quote]

Here's a link to Markbass website. They will explain it much better than I could.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/"]http://www.markbass.it/[/url]

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I might be wrong but I [i]think[/i] the original version had a transformer power supply whereas the LMII has a switched supply. No point in going into details but suffice to say some players find amps with an 'old fashioned' transformer based power supply are slightly warmer sounding than the more modern, lighter switched supplies.

It's all very confusing really - I've started hankering after a MarkBass and am positively bewildered by the choice, especially with the new MoMark bits-n-pieces amps....

[quote name='henry norton' post='653025' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:43 PM']I might be wrong but I [i]think[/i] the original version had a transformer power supply whereas the LMII has a switched supply. No point in going into details but suffice to say some players find amps with an 'old fashioned' transformer based power supply are slightly warmer sounding than the more modern, lighter switched supplies.

It's all very confusing really - I've started hankering after a MarkBass and am positively bewildered by the choice, especially with the new MoMark bits-n-pieces amps....[/quote]
if you can hear the difference between power supplys without cranking an amp you must have golden ears! The main difference would be that SMPS are more noisey and transformers are heavy

[quote name='umph' post='653522' date='Nov 13 2009, 01:14 PM']if you can hear the difference between power supplys without cranking an amp you must have golden ears! The main difference would be that SMPS are more noisey and transformers are heavy[/quote]
Yeah, hence why I said "some players", meaning 'not me'. I'd be surprised if many players could pass the pepsi challenge between valves and solid state at undistorted levels, let alone the architecture of their power supply.

Or maybe I'm just jealous of all those MarkBass owners without osteopath appointments and spare EL34's in their gig bags....

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='653090' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:35 PM']I have the same amp..... could actually be the exact same amp if you sold yours to Lee on here?[/quote]
It was a while ago, now, I got it from Frank (machinehead) who posted above, and I think I my have sold it to either Sean or PTP

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='653091' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:35 PM']And how much smaller is it Andy?
Can I ask why you swapped?[/quote]

There isn't a huge difference in size, its just a bit wider IRRC, and I only sold it on 'cause I got a LM2 for a bargain price.