Why become a member? ×

Wanting a propper bass... but what is there?

karlthebassist

So I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and have had a number of basses in that time - maybe 20, but nothing special. The nicest ones I have ever owned have been my current MIM P-bass which I have installed active basslines P/J pups in and a badass II bridge, a black MIM Jazz with bartolini pups, and an Ibanez SRX-500 whihc I had for a very short time.

So now I've got a bunch of stuff up for sale including two basses and a load of effects so I can fund my first propper 4 string bass.

I think my budget would be in the region of £700, and for that reason I would be looking at second hand to maximise what I can get.

Ever since playing bass I have dreamed about owning a Stingray. 4 string, Black/Black plate with Maple board, but have never REALLY played one propperly to find out what sort of tones I can get from it.
Another dream bass would be a MIA P Bass, black/black plate with Maple (see the theme here?)

But are any of these basses virsatile enough? I am really into a lot of different styles of music and would play in a band that does pretty much anything. My main band atm is a covers band that does stuff like beatles, stones, rem, the jam, clash, kinks, ocean colour scene and my current main bass (the aformentioned MIM p bass modded) does the lot. I play fingerstyle mostly, or pickstyle when needed. At home i play a lot of melodic lines, chords etc, also some slap and the p-bass does fine - but i wouldnt say no to some more frets....

Somthing like an ibanez SR1000EFM prestige REALLY grabs my attention as they look stunning, and i like ibanez necks, but ive never played one...

A MIA P-bass Delux would possibly be ok, with the extra pup, but i really dont know what other options i have, and where I can play the basses?!??

Please any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I just want a quality instrument that I can use every day without fuss.
Cheers chaps.

Edited by karlthebassist

Yeah I'm cool with Jazzes, but I've had a hard time in the past getting a beefy enough tone out of them.

[quote name='chris_b' post='648802' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:33 PM']If you want proper and versatile [i]and[/i] change from your £700, you should be trying out a Lakland.[/quote]

Now a Lakland is something I would REALLY like to try. What sort of model are you thinking? The 44-02 really grabs me as being rather sexy - theres; a guy on here selling one i think, but wants like 900, plus i dont have the money yet anyway. Are the Skylines as good as a USA made bass? Juan Alderete is one of my favorite players at the moment and he switched to Laklands from Fenders I noticed...

[quote name='uzzell' post='648808' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:37 PM']You should definately consider [url="http://http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/"]Sandberg[/url]

They have something for everyone, but with your budget you'll be looking at good quality second hand.[/quote]

I mean like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54793"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=54793[/url] that looks pretty much PERFECT as far as looks go. that is in fact stunning. a chap i know just got a jazz version which is lovely. nice and slim his jazz is too. within my budget?

What do you really like the sound of?

At the end of the day, you're going to hear twenty or thirty different opinions based on personal preference. Obviously I'm going to say look for £700 worth of used Status or Jazz bass, but with most good basses you're going to be able to get different sounds by playing in different locations of the strings. For instance, a great solo sound from a back pickup (if you have two!), a good mix from the mid point in between pickups, a Precision thump if you just use a front pickup, or a smoother more upright type sound by playing over the edge of the fingerboard.

Perhaps you need to think in terms of the merits of all the basses you like? Here're some of my thoughts on the merits and sound of various basses...

Precision - The classic rock bass. Simple & thuddy. More expensive versions can sound more hifi, but at the end of the day, a simple bruiser and great with it. Gets a little lost in a live mix, but that's what it was always meant to do. Make bass lines blend in. The necks are chunky and made to last.

Jazz - Great for soloists, great for basic lines, great for slap & other techniques. Perhaps the Jazz was the first "do anything" bass? Lovely thin necks and very fast players. The Jazz also has that individual "honk" to it which is very appealing.

MusicMan - Snarly, higher frequency sound. Great for slap & fast funk playing. Relative position of neck versus body means that Rays are really comfortable to play. Very good sound for cutting through the "mix" live. Some say the Ray is a on trick pony, but I think there's more to it than that.

Warwick - Get a twin humbucker Warwick and you're laughing! Great basses (eg. Corvette or Streamer $$) with huge punch. Great build quality & growly, woody sound.

Obviously, with all these basses, there are going to be some better than others, as they are all mass produced. There will also be many other options out there for your money, such as used JayDees, used Status, used Sandbergs, used Laklands, etc, etc. Spend some time with some in a store and see what sounds and feels right to you.

I've probably said a load of things here that you already know, but I hope some of it will be helpful :)

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='648896' date='Nov 8 2009, 04:35 PM']What do you really like the sound of?

At the end of the day, you're going to hear twenty or thirty different opinions based on personal preference. Obviously I'm going to say look for £700 worth of used Status or Jazz bass, but with most good basses you're going to be able to get different sounds by playing in different locations of the strings. For instance, a great solo sound from a back pickup (if you have two!), a good mix from the mid point in between pickups, a Precision thump if you just use a front pickup, or a smoother more upright type sound by playing over the edge of the fingerboard.

Perhaps you need to think in terms of the merits of all the basses you like? Here're some of my thoughts on the merits and sound of various basses...

Precision - The classic rock bass. Simple & thuddy. More expensive versions can sound more hifi, but at the end of the day, a simple bruiser and great with it. Gets a little lost in a live mix, but that's what it was always meant to do. Make bass lines blend in. The necks are chunky and made to last.

Jazz - Great for soloists, great for basic lines, great for slap & other techniques. Perhaps the Jazz was the first "do anything" bass? Lovely thin necks and very fast players. The Jazz also has that individual "honk" to it which is very appealing.

MusicMan - Snarly, higher frequency sound. Great for slap & fast funk playing. Relative position of neck versus body means that Rays are really comfortable to play. Very good sound for cutting through the "mix" live. Some say the Ray is a on trick pony, but I think there's more to it than that.

Warwick - Get a twin humbucker Warwick and you're laughing! Great basses (eg. Corvette or Streamer $$) with huge punch. Great build quality & growly, woody sound.

Obviously, with all these basses, there are going to be some better than others, as they are all mass produced. There will also be many other options out there for your money, such as used JayDees, used Status, used Sandbergs, used Laklands, etc, etc. Spend some time with some in a store and see what sounds and feels right to you.

I've probably said a load of things here that you already know, but I hope some of it will be helpful :)

Rich.[/quote]

Now, one trick pony is what I've often suspected of the Stingray. I cant see me playing medolic chordal lines on it somehow. My P bass has a nice bright and detailed sound thanks to the replaced electronics and i know what youre saying about the p-bass getting lost in the mix as stock - hense why i changed my pickups... jazz basses really dont do that much for me other than the slap sound - and i dont really get into slap much so its a bit pointless for me. I had a warwick for three weeks once - didnt get on with it at all.

unfortunately my local music stores are really really quite crap for stock. so thats not an option. status is always something ive fancied. probably headed though, but its finding one i guess...

Never looked at JayDees before.

As for stuff i like - i dig a sort of modern-high fidelity sound really. I set my LMII to give me a little oompf in hi and hi mid, with a bit of a cut in low mid and a boot in low. i like it to growel and crunch when you did in hard, but be able to produce a smooth finger tone when played with as fleshy as possible. i never really use any adjustment on tone controls or pickup selectors but adjust my playing position/style. I'm gonna have to have a look for a status.

Heh! Yes, it does sound like your sort of settings would suit a Status down to the ground. Plenty come up on the for sale forum, as they don't suit everyone. Your full budget would get you a headed Series 2 or S2-Classic with the right bass, or perhaps an Eclipse/Energy. They're all good. Best of luck with it. If I see any knocking around, I'll let you know.

Rich.

Rich's post is a great summary of what's out there.

Another point to think about is resale. I love Sandbergs and Warwicks, and you would be able to pick up both secondhand well within your budget (i'd add the Warwick Thumb BO to the lists above BTW. Very versatile). But if you want to sell on in the future, you'll probably be able to shift a Fender or Musicman much quicker.

In my hands now is a Stingray 4 3EQ that I have been lent to try out. And bloody hell. What a stunning instrument. It plays like butter. Fantastic tone - not so much the one trick jobby I originaly though. Possibly not as versatile as a two pickup instrument, but then the 3 band EQ is so powerful that I'm getting a good range of very useful tones out of it. Pick-style, fingerstyle and slap all seem to work so well. I think as a live tool - which it would predominantly be used as, as I do VERY little recording - it is bang on... I think I've got something here that would do everything I need...

Further to your thoughts so far . . . . .

I've recently picked up a nice Stingray . . . see signature block below for spec . . . and I would agree that these are much more versatile than their reputation suggests.

However, at the end of the day, I didn't actually buy it for versatility, my Jazz Bass Specials have that . . . . what I did buy it for, was that bright, forward, percussive and pronounced signature of a sound, that Stingrays are so well known for . . . that was the thing that neither my Jazz or P basses or Specials could quite capture ! . . . but my Stingray does capture it . . . .

Makes you wanna play better !

I guess you pays yer money and takes yer choice !

Good luck

:rolleyes: :) :lol:

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='649950' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:39 PM']In my hands now is a Stingray 4 3EQ that I have been lent to try out. And bloody hell. What a stunning instrument. It plays like butter. Fantastic tone - not so much the one trick jobby I originaly though. Possibly not as versatile as a two pickup instrument, but then the 3 band EQ is so powerful that I'm getting a good range of very useful tones out of it. Pick-style, fingerstyle and slap all seem to work so well. I think as a live tool - which it would predominantly be used as, as I do VERY little recording - it is bang on... I think I've got something here that would do everything I need...[/quote]

Glad to have been of help m8 - great seeing you earlier. That Ray really does the business through your rig.

Nick

You mention not being able to play melodic chordal thingies on a Music Man - maybe you should look into a Stingray/Sterling with Piezos in the bridge, as this reall does sound great for that kind of stuff.

The Sterling is a versitile bass anyway, more so than the Ray.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNKuYuex1I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNKuYuex1I[/url]

At the end of this video, he does a quick demonstration of the harmonic qualities of piezo bridges. Beautiful sound.

Edited by Duarte

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='648812' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:42 PM']Yeah I'm cool with Jazzes, but I've had a hard time in the past getting a beefy enough tone out of them.[/quote]

Jazz-type PU config gives the most versatile instrument IMO, but the 'beef' can be lacking as you say. But have you tried one with an S1 switch? I made this mod to my el-cheapo secondhand Ibanez SR500 after I fitted it with jazz-style pups for more growl (Nordstrand Big Singles), and the added low end thump with S1 engaged is unreal. It's like having another instrument at the flick of a switch - total cost of mod £2! I don't know why more bassists don't install this option, especially those looking for a 'do-anything' workhorse instrument.

One day I'll find a bass with a modern neck/body profile, but proper 70s jazz-style growling tone. I'll fit an S1 switch plus an audere pre, and I'll be in absolute bass heaven.

You have a lot of choice with a £700 budget and as folks have said there is no substitute for getting out there and playing as many different basses as possible.

Musicman basses are great and I loved my Stingray but I found it was restricting even with the 3 band eq, it did that sound and that sound only. I have not tried the new double pickup stingrays though, they seem to offer a lot more flexibility than the single pickup version.

Laklands are good and very versatile and I just recommended my best friend buy one. The 5502 (i think) with the musicman and jazz combination is great, does most sounds, has active bypass, good EQ and you can coil tap the humbucker giving you a very good Jazz, MM, and P-ish sound. Personally I dont like the feel of the neck but thats personal preference rather than any problem with the bass.

A double pickup warwick will give you a good range of tones and they are very well built and there are usually a few around on the forum for sale. In my experience you really have to try a few. I have played some with massive necks and some with slim quick necks, all down to preference really but superb basses, especially the streamers, they are very pretty.

There are a huge amount of basses available and the secondhand market really opens up a lot of basses that you would think you could afford. As an example I picked up a Overwater Progress for £800 secondhand and it completely blows any other bass I have ever played out of the water with the exeption of a Goodfellow which was on a parr with the OW. Some of the bolt on Overwaters come up secondhand and I would suggest checking them out if you get the chance, very versatile and they sound really big.

Anyway, dont know if it helps at all and good luck with the hunt, let us know what you go for in the end.

Nathan

A huge pot of experience and information been given here,all of which I agree with.The main thing for me is a bass with great playability,which you would think for 700 of your hard earned would be easy(second hand bargins etc).Classic example is going to a large shop(no names mentioned) and tryin loads of Fender Jazz basses(money wasnt an issue,I wasnt buying lol),apart from the set up,each one played and sounded different,weather due to age,set up,woods necks or pick ups fitted etc.I suppose what I am trying to say for me is,if you have a great bass,a different sound can be achieved by pick up or circuitry mods or whatever.At one time I loved Mec's but Mrs Warwick doesnt get wined and dined much now,then big fat split MM style pickups,seems I am turned on by Emgs.Ive tried sooo many basses,amps and cabs combinations same as most of the good people on here.Suppose we all strive for a perfect sound.Will we find it,who knows.Thats why I will probably always try or buy even more Basses.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='648784' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:19 PM']So I've been playing for 5 or 6 years and have had a number of basses in that time - maybe 20, but nothing special. The nicest ones I have ever owned have been my current MIM P-bass which I have installed active basslines P/J pups in and a badass II bridge, a black MIM Jazz with bartolini pups, and an Ibanez SRX-500 whihc I had for a very short time.

So now I've got a bunch of stuff up for sale including two basses and a load of effects so I can fund my first propper 4 string bass.

I think my budget would be in the region of £700, and for that reason I would be looking at second hand to maximise what I can get.

Ever since playing bass I have dreamed about owning a Stingray. 4 string, Black/Black plate with Maple board, but have never REALLY played one propperly to find out what sort of tones I can get from it.
Another dream bass would be a MIA P Bass, black/black plate with Maple (see the theme here?)

But are any of these basses virsatile enough? I am really into a lot of different styles of music and would play in a band that does pretty much anything. My main band atm is a covers band that does stuff like beatles, stones, rem, the jam, clash, kinks, ocean colour scene and my current main bass (the aformentioned MIM p bass modded) does the lot. I play fingerstyle mostly, or pickstyle when needed. At home i play a lot of melodic lines, chords etc, also some slap and the p-bass does fine - but i wouldnt say no to some more frets....

Somthing like an ibanez SR1000EFM prestige REALLY grabs my attention as they look stunning, and i like ibanez necks, but ive never played one...

A MIA P-bass Delux would possibly be ok, with the extra pup, but i really dont know what other options i have, and where I can play the basses?!??

Please any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I just want a quality instrument that I can use every day without fuss.
Cheers chaps.[/quote]

musicman no fuss...one vol 3 band eq...cool sound and well made...would have to be second hand though..