Why become a member? ×

33" scale

Jobiebass

As many of you might know I bought Eudes Shuker Pub bass which is 33" scale.

I didnt notice too much difference when I first got it in size but now ive been playing that all the time its weird going back to a 34" scale.

I was wondering, is 33" classed as short scale? I dont know what defines short scale. Most importantly what other basses have this scale?

Thanks guys

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='skelf' post='648167' date='Nov 7 2009, 04:03 PM']I have three 33" scale basses in the works at the moment and one just finished.[/quote]

Just out of interest are they 4 strings? I find the thought of having a bottom B on a 33" scale a little alien and I would expect perhaps not the most articulate notes originating from that B. A 5 string with a high C on 33" scale makes perfect sense, especially when using it as a solo instrument... again especially if playing chords.

It would be good to hear a little insight from those with low Bs on a 33". I remember I had a short bash on urbs Sei singlecut which I believe is 33 with a low B and whilst it didn't feel that alien, I wasn't in an amp loud enough to get a more accurate opinion. Also, I didn't know what gauge it was loaded with. His recordings sounds sound enough though.

A few experiences shared would be good...?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='648275' date='Nov 7 2009, 06:20 PM']Just out of interest are they 4 strings? I find the thought of having a bottom B on a 33" scale a little alien and I would expect perhaps not the most articulate notes originating from that B. A 5 string with a high C on 33" scale makes perfect sense, especially when using it as a solo instrument... again especially if playing chords.

It would be good to hear a little insight from those with low Bs on a 33". I remember I had a short bash on urbs Sei singlecut which I believe is 33 with a low B and whilst it didn't feel that alien, I wasn't in an amp loud enough to get a more accurate opinion. Also, I didn't know what gauge it was loaded with. His recordings sounds sound enough though.

A few experiences shared would be good...?[/quote]

i dont own one but i have played a 33" scale 5 string strung with a B and it was perfectly articulate in the low register. i think it has alot to do with the standard of the basses construction and the standard of the preamp, same as any other bass. in my experience, if its well made and has a good electronics package going through a good amp, there's no reason why it shouldnt sound as good as a long scale bass strung with a B.

edit: it was strung with D'Addario nickels. 130 B string

Edited by funkypenguin

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='648166' date='Nov 7 2009, 04:00 PM']As many of you might know I bought Eudes Shuker Pub bass which is 33" scale.

I didnt notice too much difference when I first got it in size but now ive been playing that all the time its weird going back to a 34" scale.

I was wondering, is 33" classed as short scale? I dont know what defines short scale. Most importantly what other basses have this scale?

Thanks guys[/quote]

Hey Chris,
how's it going?
Hope you're still loving the Pub Bass :)
I personally don't notice a huge difference going back to a 34" scale bass, I just need to watch where my left hand is for a little while just to get back to normal.

One thing I didn't expect though was how alien it was jumping from 33" to 35"!
I had a go of Peter's beautiful Spector 5 string at the Moffat Bass Bash and I found the damn thing almost unplayable standing up!
The Spector design, in my opinion, doesn't make the most efficient use of the bridge position on the body, as there's a good inch or so of a gap towards the edge of the body which you can see here >> [url="http://www.thebassplace.com/stock/spector-rebop4-flame.jpg"]http://www.thebassplace.com/stock/spector-rebop4-flame.jpg[/url]
So, to me, the 35" scale felt more like 36" at least as the left hand position was so exaggerated compared to what I'm used to!
Shame, as the bass itself was gorgeous and sounded so so nice, it's just not designed for short stocky bass players :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='648268' date='Nov 7 2009, 06:09 PM']If 30" is short, 32" is medium and 34" is long is 33" therefore medium-long?

Alex[/quote]

I like the idea of "Medium-Long" mate :lol:

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='648343' date='Nov 7 2009, 08:19 PM']i dont own one but i have played a 33" scale 5 string strung with a B and it was perfectly articulate in the low register. i think it has alot to do with the standard of the basses construction and the standard of the preamp, same as any other bass. in my experience, if its well made and has a good electronics package going through a good amp, there's no reason why it shouldnt sound as good as a long scale bass strung with a B.

edit: it was strung with D'Addario nickels. 130 B string[/quote]

I've got a 33" Shuker 6 string string B to C and I've never really noticed any difference in note definition between the low B on it and the low B on other basses, including some 35" basses, although the low B on Peter's Spector mentioned above was legendary!
I think you're right about the bass's construction, I don't think a mass produced bass would be able to deliver in this area, but a skilled luthier certainly can.
Cliff Bordwell of CB Basses has even made some 32" 6 string basses which apparently have a very nice low B!
The 33" scale also makes the upper register on the bass that little bit fuller and sweeter too, which going longer can detract from, from what I've heard.

Also, I just strung up with some new D'Addario Nickels with a 135 B - tight as a gnat's :lol:

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='648166' date='Nov 7 2009, 04:00 PM']As many of you might know I bought Eudes Shuker Pub bass which is 33" scale.

Thanks guys[/quote]

think rickenbacker and all is well..whats an inch?... :)